• Feb 2007

I little confuse about the 600 and 300

Hello
    I am so happy I was able to find the classe clubs forum
    However I do not own a classe but are planning to purse one
    I got alot of questions hoping people could help me out here

Trying to pick between the 600 and the 300
    I read that the only different is the balance connection
    since I just bought a arcam 139 and find out it does not have a balance connection, do you think 600 will not be any benific for me?

Another question is I read from the sticky saying that THX ultra setting are only for the 7.1?
    so if I have only 5.1 system, I am unable to have THX ultra?

please forgive me for my poor English
    thanks
  • Kobus
    • Aug 2005

How important is 2ch music to you?.

What are your plans for the rest of your system?.

Kobus

Comment

• bananastylez
      • Feb 2007

hi
      thanks for the reply
      I am mainly about theater
      and some music
      let say 85 percent movies and 15 percent music
      that is why I am so worried rather or not if the system
      allowed THX ultra 2 in the 5.1 sounding sound
      but I still want to start enjoying some good music too
      thanks again
      Last edited by bananastylez; 27 February 2007, 09:42 Tuesday. Reason: forgot to add some more

Comment

• sikoniko
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

the ssp300 is a great pre. I ruled it out because I wanted the balanced connections for my amps, and the 2 ch. pre built into the SSP-600.
        I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• bananastylez
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by sikoniko
          the ssp300 is a great pre. I ruled it out because I wanted the balanced connections for my amps, and the 2 ch. pre built into the SSP-600.
          Hello sikoniko
          does the balanced connection really improve the sound quality?
          if so, wonder if it is possible to be explan :roll:
          and I am unable to listen to it myself because there is no dealer that carry it around here
          and also, I had order an arcam 139 and I am wondering
          if ssp300 and arcam 139 and the CA5200 a good combo?
          or should I get the ssp600 so that when I want do buy
          a good cd player, I will have the balance connection in hand.
          The reason why I bought an arcam was because I was told that arcam is the best dvd player out there and it plays really good cd.

thanks

Comment

• Kobus
            • Aug 2005

Hotly debated, with ht, I would not worry to much, also read this:

if so, wonder if it is possible to be explan
            see above

and I am unable to listen to it myself because there is no dealer that carry it around here
            I can understand that problem, same where I am.

and also, I had order an arcam 139 and I am wondering
            if ssp300 and arcam 139 and the CA5200 a good combo?
            I would go for that. If your listening preferences change more towards 2ch, you can always add a cdp and a dedicated 2ch preamp.

The reason why I bought an arcam was because I was told that arcam is the best dvd player out there and it plays really good cd.
            It probably is a very good (not best?) dvd and an average to good cdp.

Kobus

Comment

• sikoniko
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

I would go for that. If your listening preferences change more towards 2ch, you can always add a cdp and a dedicated 2ch preamp.
              or if the ssp-600 was bought up front, you wouldn't need to buy a 2 ch pre in the future.. more expensive up front, but cheaper in the long run.

Comment

• Kobus
                • Aug 2005

or if the ssp-600 was bought up front, you wouldn't need to buy a 2 ch pre in the future.. more expensive up front, but cheaper in the long run.
                Yes, but if you buy a cp 500 you will have a 2ch pre "for life". SSP, not so sure with technological advances. All this obviously depends on budget.
                And remember 2ch for now does not count for much with the OP.

I love my dedicated 2ch (cp500, cdp100, ca2200) and use pass-thru for ht.

Kobus

Comment

• RebelMan
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by bananastylez
                  if so, wonder if it is possible to be explan :roll:
                  and I am unable to listen to it myself because there is no dealer that carry it around here.
                  I am currently running a little AB experiment with the balanced connections of my CDP-202 and the single ended connections of my CDP-300. I initially reported an obvious disparity between the two types of connections but I may have to recant some of those remarks do to a flaw I uncovered in my testing. At this stage of testing I am unprepared to comment differently from what I posted earlier, the jury is still deliberating.

The discussions carried on in the hotly debated link that Kobus provides are inconclusive about the merits of using balanced connections because it lacks a case study. A proper evaluation of a system using balanced connections from the source to the amp and likewise with single ended connections is necessary to draw any conclusions. I am hoping to expound the study I am running at home and shed further light on the matter.
                  "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Kobus
                    • Aug 2005

I got alot of questions
                    I trust that all your confusion has now been cleared

Kobus

Comment

• sikoniko
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Kobus
                      Yes, but if you buy a cp 500 you will have a 2ch pre "for life". SSP, not so sure with technological advances. All this obviously depends on budget.
                      And remember 2ch for now does not count for much with the OP.

I love my dedicated 2ch (cp500, cdp100, ca2200) and use pass-thru for ht.

Kobus
                      You know, I have been thinking a lot about this comment. Please don't take this personal, as it is just a different opinion.

At first I thought, that is a great point; however, the more I thought about it, the more I disagreed with it.

The flaw in the arguement, for my situation is the fact that you are stating CP-500. If you said CP-700 I would strongly agree. The CP-700 is a cost no option, best of the best 2 ch. preamp from classe. A definate lifer.

If you are using only 1 source, the CP-500 is basically built into the SSP-600. If you buy the CP-500 as a lifer, it will be just that. But as you replace the SSP-600 with whatever the next gen will be ever 3 - 5 years, you will most likely get the next gen 2 ch preamp for 1 source as long as classe's pre/pro model stays with the same philosophy.

Comment

• bananastylez
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Kobus
                        I trust that all your confusion has now been cleared

Kobus
                        THANKS KOBUS!!
                        YOU REALLY HELP ALOT!
                        I REALLY appreciate it
                        I ended up buy the ssp600 and the ca5200
                        and you said that arcam is not the best, could you tell me
                        which dvd player is the best. I really want my dvd player to look like HD or better if possible
                        thanks for you reply!!

Comment

• Kobus
                          • Aug 2005

and you said that arcam is not the best, could you tell me
                          which dvd player is the best
                          Pleasure.

I said: not best?.

My point is simply that in my opinion there is no "best" in this game, espesially with dvd players. Also, I am certain that there are some hi-end manufacturers that might be better that the arcam.

None of them will look true hd with an sd source.

Kobus

Comment

• bananastylez
                            • Feb 2007

You know, I have been thinking a lot about this comment. Please don't take this personal, as it is just a different opinion.

At first I thought, that is a great point; however, the more I thought about it, the more I disagreed with it.

The flaw in the arguement, for my situation is the fact that you are stating CP-500. If you said CP-700 I would strongly agree. The CP-700 is a cost no option, best of the best 2 ch. preamp from classe. A definate lifer.

If you are using only 1 source, the CP-500 is basically built into the SSP-600. If you buy the CP-500 as a lifer, it will be just that. But as you replace the SSP-600 with whatever the next gen will be ever 3 - 5 years, you will most likely get the next gen 2 ch preamp for 1 source as long as classe's pre/pro model stays with the same philosophy.
                            so you mean if I got the ssp 600, there is no point to get the CP500 since it is already built in?
                            I got another question.
                            where do you buy your balance cable?
                            CAUSE
                            THEY ARE SO EXPENSIVE that it is like buying another ssp600!!
                            it was kinda disappointing

Comment

• RobP
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Nov 2004

You should take a look at our forum sponsor here CATCables, Doug makes a really nice XLR Cable that will not break the bank. Check out the Kingkats Silver XLR. :T

Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• bananastylez
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Soundgravy
                                You should take a look at our forum sponsor here CATCables, Doug makes a really nice XLR Cable that will not break the bank. Check out the Kingkats Silver XLR. :T

http://www.catcables.com/
                                are they better built than the audioquest columbia?
                                thanks

Comment

• RobP
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Nov 2004

I am not familiar with the AQ Columbia specifically, but I do know that Doug's cables were far beyond the build quality of the AQ cables that I had in my system. If you do a search on this forum for CAT Cables you will see how many people are more than satisfied with the CAT brand. For the money they cannot be beat.

matter of fact Doug is cooking up a pair of Kingcat Silvers for me as we speak, cant wait to get them.

Edit:

Here is a couple of reviews that I found.

Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• sikoniko
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Aug 2003

I have some real expensive panther AQ cables, and they aren't really that impressive. They are sitting in a drawer to be honest. you're prolly better off with CAT.

Comment

• bananastylez
                                      • Feb 2007

alright..
                                      thanks guy I will look into that

every since I joined this forum
                                      I had learned so much
                                      thank you so much

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"