Some new Schiit coming soon... hopefully!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Some new Schiit coming soon... hopefully!

This is not on the bench yet- after the holidays we'll get to some of that... this is more reporting a curious saga of product development from my perspective, along a few bits about my experience with two versions, and a new version that I believe may merit some serious attention at it's price point, based on my experience with the earlier ones.

Now, if that isn't obscure enough, let me simplify things and point out that I'm referring to the "evolution" of the Freya Preamp, which has been available in at least four versions - including a new preamp with a different name, "Kara", but clearly not just a bastard offspring, but with a full development heritage.

To be continued...

the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....
  • theSven
    Master of None
    • Jan 2014

Are you inferring this Schiit?

Click image for larger version

Name:	freyaplus%20slv%20frt%202022%201920.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	950159

Name:	freya%20plus%20back%201920.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	268.5 KB
ID:	950160

If using this with digital music would you put this after the DAC and this would then connect to the amp?
    Painter in training

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Nope, I'm going all new fangled modern, with what is essentially an updated version of the Freya S, with much higher voltage power supplies for the Nexus gain stages, and lower distortion and noise at typical output levels like 4V RMS.

BUT, I think they realized all these different versions of the Freya were getting a bit out of line, and so this one is called "Kara"- her little sister?

I dunno, too confusing for an aging curmudgeon like me, I suppose.

But it should make the online searches more straight forward...

Name:	kara silver front 1920.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	950169

Name:	kara-rr-1920.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	273.8 KB
ID:	950170

Name:	kara silver insitu 1920.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	392.2 KB
ID:	950171

the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Obi-Wan
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by theSven
        Are you inferring this Schiit?

Name:	freyaplus%20slv%20frt%202022%201920.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	950159

Name:	freya%20plus%20back%201920.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	268.5 KB
ID:	950160

If using this with digital music would you put this after the DAC and this would then connect to the amp?

This would serve as a master source switching function after DAC(s) or tuner or streamer or phono preamp, and then connect to the amplifier(s)

the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Obi-Wan
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

I'm going to borrow a couple of graphs from Audio Science Review, since he has the same Audio Precision Analyzer that I have, an APx555, and he has had a Kara to test, which I do not have yet.

The Kara is basically an improved version of the Schiit Freya S, which I use in my Fuzzmeasure based speaker test cart. It uses an updated version of the Nexus current feedback amplification system which is used for single ended to balanced conversion as well as amplification, and has two gain modes, a low gain (consider that "normal") and a high gain basically for legacy gear with low output voltage (you know who you are, refugees from before the year 2000, basically). The update part includes using rather high power supply rails (scary high if you're a typical opamp, as in way beyond what they can handle).

Also, the Kara has a headphone jack, which in a sense sort of positions it in the same territory as the Benchmark HPA4, which I also have, and is used in the cart for the dedicated Pocket Clio test system. (Hmm, am I detecting a pattern here?). Plugging in the headphones mutes the line outputs.

So, while I think the Freya S that I have is pretty respectable, Schiit sort of trash talks it in their pitch for the Kara. (they also don't sell it anymore)
          • Much higher performance. Kara Kills Freya S from all outputs, in all modes.
          • Much higher rails: Freya S was +/- 17V, Kara is +/- 32 V, which increases the range of high linearity with respect to output voltage.
          • Now with headphone jack. Kara uses the same amplification stage as the single ended outputs of the preamp.
          • 2x bigger power supply: 48VA transformer in Kara, 24VA on Freya S. Gotta power those headphones somehow...
          • Better controls: More rational front panel layout on Kara.

A couple of key graphs- first, a very simple 4V RMS in, 4V RMS out, low gain mode, volume control adjusted for zero gain, 1kHz test signal. Pure vanilla.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Schiit Kara Balanced Preamplifier Headphone Amplifier Active XLR Measurements crop.png Views:	0 Size:	33.6 KB ID:	950191

A lot of folks, including my wife, don't know how to read this- what it's showing is that relative to the input at 1kHz, HD2 at 2kHz is at -120 dB, and HD3 at 3kHz is at about -132 dB. For the old school amongst you, that are more comfortable with % specs than dB specs, that means the total distortion plus noise is at about 0.0002%. Yes, the APx555 analyzer is a very capable instrument. And not cheap, either! OTOH, the Kara is quite capable, and as very high performance preamps go, is pretty dang cheap!

One more borrowed graph- IMD swept as a function of level is plotted, including the APx555 residual, the afore mentioned Benchmark HPA4 preamp (one of the absolute best measuring preamps JA at Stereophile has ever tested; IIRC, a Halcro and a new Weiss are the only other ones in the same ballpark), and the Schiit Kara. This gives you a combined view at both distortion at low and high levels, with the impact of noise at lower signal levels. You'd be amazed at how poorly many preamps do below 200mV output level. Or, maybe, like me, a curmudgeon with decades of testing experience, you won't be surprised at all, but just pleased at how well these three do.

Pay attention: this is a level swept IMD test, not the common level swept single tone test, so distortion is higher than what you see for single tone tests like the spectrum analysis above.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Schiit Kara Balanced Preamplifier Headphone Amplifier Active XLR IMD Measurements.png Views:	0 Size:	26.0 KB ID:	950192

Here's where I put in a few reminders to conclude...
          • I am not an "influencer", in the modern social media sense (a pretty face paid for schilling goods) (not remotely pretty, just look at the Avatar!)
          • I am not receiving any compensation for this post, other than personal satisfaction at discussing an interesting product development that seems to raise the value proposition even further at Schiit.
          • I don't take this Schiit at face value, but plan to acquire one after digging out from under the year end expenses and new year expenses (like property taxes, for example)(no Christmas bonus anymore, since I'm retired!) and post a bunch of test Schiit as well as any relevant (or irreverent!) subjective impressions.
          So, to all a Merry Christmas, and to all a good night! (oops, not really appropriate, it's only 8AM! I'm a morning person, you see, one of those with the Neanderthal genes... )

​​​​​
          https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/14/s...ng-people.html

​​​​​​
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Obi-Wan
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"