Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChadC
    • Jul 2007

New Natalie P build RS28A replacement

I’m considering building a pair of Natalie P’s, but of course the RS28A is no longer available. Would the RST28A make a suitable replacement or should look for something else?
  • Evil Twin
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

As the original designer of the Natalie P, I unfortunately cannot recommend the RST28a.

The original RS28a was made by Usher for Parts Express. The RST28a is made by a subcontractor in China. I have tested and evaluated them.

Issues:
    • Many specifications are missing, including Xmax, which is critical for determining usage at lower crossover frequencies such as the Natlie P employes
    • The Fs is at a higher frequency, 800 Hz, which will interact with the crossover differently- the original RS28a is 600Hz.
    • The RST28a does not measure as smoothly in my experience, and it may be that the impedance bump/anomaly at 2500Hz (can be seen in the data sheet) has a bearing on mechanical resonances influencing the response.
    • The sensitivity is about 2.5 dB higher, which will put the balance off using the original crossover, and hints at a reduced Xmax.

All is not lost, however... as Yoda has said at times, "There is another..."

Consider the SB Acoustics SB26CDC-C0004.
    • The sensitivity is the same as the RS28a- 90 dB.
    • The impedance curve and resonance are very similar.
    • The SPL response is quite smooth, and polar behavior is good, having a phase shield with similar effect as the RS28a.

SB26CDC-C000-4.pdf ​​​​​​​

DFAL
    Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

• ChadC
      • Jul 2007

Thank you! Would anything need to be changed on the driver?

Comment

• Evil Twin
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

The mounting dimensions for the driver are slightly different- the mounting plate outer diameter is 100mm for the SB26CDC versus 104mm for the RS28a. The magnet assembly is about 3 mm smaller, 70mm versus 73.

Note, my own RMS averaged forward response over a +45 deg to - 45 degree range shows very good overall response behavior. This measurement is with very little smoothing, only 1/48th octave.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SB26CDC RMS Average +45- 0 - 45.png
Views:	360
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	949108

DFAL
        Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• ChadC
          • Jul 2007

Thank you for the replies. I can’t wait to get started I build a pair of Natalie’s in 07 or 08, now my daughter wants a set. I better get going on the new ones or she’ll steal mine.

Comment

• Scareurpasenger
            • Jan 2017

An update to this affordable design would be quite useful to convert relatives to higher end audio. How substantial is the update to the crossover?

Comment

• Evil Twin
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

My intent was to advocate a tweeter requiring no updates to the crossover. I believe the SB26CDC-C0004 meets that requirement. I have six on hand, and have had several system design ideas for it, and have done measurements with the included phase shield and with it removed, for potential use in a waveguide. Doing a POC single cabinet build to confirm is a reasonable idea, but the work queue is currently deep with higher priority efforts...

In fact, if ChadC is planning to undertake this build, I can send him a pair to test for his build, but if he does not have measurement equipment, he will only be able to subjectively evaluate. I probably even have a pair of RS180 in storage, but what I am lacking is spare time.
              DFAL
              Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• Evil Twin
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

The more important question to ask, is which cabinet configuration and size is built, as the "basic" Natalie P in the original PE enclosure was 22L and ported to that size, but larger cabinet configuration up to about 48L have been built (there are many Natalie P threads) with lower Fb tuning and a more extended bottom end, in a tower configuration. It really depends on the desired application and installation space.
                DFAL
                Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• ChadC
                  • Jul 2007

I don’t have measuring equipment, otherwise I’d be happy to help out.
                  The build I’m planning will have a cabinet in the 50L range. I’ll be ordering components in the next day or so, and have already started planning the build.
                  It will be interesting to see how the new ones compare to my existing pair. The cabinets will be similar.

Comment

• Evil Twin
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Nov 2004

We would welcome seeing the results of your efforts...
                    DFAL
                    Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• Evil Twin
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Nov 2004

I have investigated this based on half space driver measurements and modeling in VituixCAD using baffle simulation to create full space behavior for the drivers mounted on the original Natalie P front baffle.

I will post both the result with the original crossover network and with a version with a few suggested modifications.

Using the unaltered original network:

Name:	Natalie P POC SB26CDC Original XO-schema-1.png
Views:	332
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	949125

Name:	Natalie P POC SB26CDC Original XO-SPL-1.png
Views:	336
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	949126
                      Note that the LF response modeled for the RS180 is not ported, but the half space factory sealed IB data. The porting impacts response below about 150 Hz.

Suggested update for crossover:

Name:	Natalie P POC SB26CDC Update INV Optimize XO-schema-1.png
Views:	317
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	949127

Name:	Natalie P POC SB26CDC Update INV Optimize XO-SPL-1.png
Views:	330
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	949128

Note that component designators are changed in VituixCAD, but component positions correspond with the original schematic drawing in LSPCAD.

Two LCR networks are added to the tweeter
                      • A parallel shunt Zobel network to cancel the Fs impedance rise and optimize the tweeter roll off; L4, C7, and R3
                      • A series ultrasonic network to null the peak at the diaphragm resonance of 26kHz. Note that the phase shield creates some other effects on axis; with this ultrasonic network, removing the phase shield will reduce HF irregularity on axis, but somewhat reduce off axis top octave response.

The woofer crossover network values are adjusted slightly, for the primary inductance L3, and the resonance notch network C6. Also, the series/parallel Capacitor C2 is adjusted and a 1 ohm resistor added in series.

DFAL
                      Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• ChadC
                        • Jul 2007

For C6, is that a 360 nanofarad or 360 microfarad cap?
                        For the inductors, is 18 to 20 AWG sufficient or do they need to be 14 to 16?

Comment

• Evil Twin
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Nov 2004

For C6, 360nF. I.E., 0.36 uF.

The inductor values include DCR resistance in milliohms; select the wire AWG needed to give that DCR or a little less. Normally an inductor spec will include the DCR rating.

DFAL
                          Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• Evil Twin
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Nov 2004

Note, we are looking in to the possibility of building a POC measurement verification sample with the new drivers and crossover in the near future, but this could still be a few weeks away.
                            DFAL
                            Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• ChadC
                              • Jul 2007

Ok, waiting isn’t a problem. In the mean time, I’m having some problems sourcing some of the inductors. For L5, I can find one that’s 10uH but has a DCR of .07 Ohms.
                              For L1, I can find .40mH @ .15 Ohms, .47mH @ .20 Ohms, or .44mH @ .31 Ohms.
                              For L3, there’s a 1.1mH @ .57 Ohms, it’s kinda pricey, or a 1.2mH @ .29 Ohms, or a cheaper 1.2mH @ .33 Ohms.
                              I’m not sure how to choose between these.

Comment

• tktran
                                • Jan 2005

I like the SB26ADC/CDC. But why o why do these use a 100mm faceplate? The SB26ADC would be a virtual drop in the the RS28a if they stuck to the original 104mm...

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                  Evil Twin commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Quite true... there are many corresponding cases like this.
                              • Evil Twin
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Nov 2004

I have reviewed inductor options with regards to one popular US vendor for speaker building, Parts Express. Regrettably, they carry a relatively limited selection from some vendors such as Jantzen, and it seems that many parts from their "in house" Dayton brand have dropped off the list.

Often for inductors I prefer HiFi Collective in the UK- they cannot stock all the popular inductor types, but they get supply within a few days from Jantzen and others. And they make available essentially the entire Jantzen line, as one example, while Parts Express has a rather limited selection in comparison for many product families.

Here is an inductor summary with some alternate parts- DCR is a factor effecting crossover losses, filter damping, and the overall LF system damping- it does little good to have a low impedance amplifier connected to an inductor with close to an ohm of resistance in series with your 4 ohm woofer array. Recommended parts are checked. Using an LCR meter to unwind the inductor to the exact value is recommended if feasible.

Name:	Inductor list.png
Views:	289
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	949148

DFAL
                                Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• DeanP
                                  DeanP commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  I noticed Solen.ca has a better selection of inductors, closer dcr specs too.
                              • ChadC
                                • Jul 2007

Thank you. That helps a lot.
                                You mention using 4 ohm woofers. The ones I used in my first Natalie’s are 8 ohm shielded. Are those still the ones to use or should I use a 4 ohm unshielded version?

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Nov 2004

The total load from two 8 ohm woofers wired in parallel is 4 ohms- this is what the crossover sees.

In there current series, this is the driver you should use...

Dayton Audio RS180-8 7" Reference WooferThe Dayton Audio Reference Series was conceived with one goal in mind—low distortion. Each speaker was carefully designed and optimized to offer the highest performance with the lowest distortion levels. At the same time, by focusing on features that contribute to sound quality and eliminating unnecessary frills, the drivers offer value unparalleled in the industry. Dayton Audio Reference Series RS180-8 7" woofers deliver exceptional clarity, detail, and dynamics—and of course, incredibly low distortion.

I do not believe the shielded one is available any longer- CRT systems are a thing of the past, for the most part.

Note also with regards to crossover inductor selection, the lower DCR part above is a Litz wire version, because this is all Parts Express carries in a lower DCR version at this time. HiFi Collective in the UK can source all of Jantzen's inductors with a short lead time- including low AWG parts with conventional solid core wire, which would be preferred for this application. Litz wire would be over kill unless working with a higher crossover point, and with 1.1 mH, that does not make sense...

DFAL
                                  Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Nov 2004

- a small update-
                                    • The "vintage" RS180's in storage were located, but were found to be 4 ohm versions, so a new pair of 8 ohm parts were ordered for a POC build.
                                    • Cabinet grade MDF has been set aside for the test build... along with some bamboo board for the front panel.
                                    • A brief technical review of the RS180P-8 was conducted, and it should NOT be considered for this application, due to the differences in T/S parameters and a substantially higher Fs.
                                    DFAL
                                    Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• ChadC
                                      • Jul 2007

This is what I currently have in my PE shopping cart.
                                      Dayton Audio RS180-8 7" Reference WooferThe Dayton Audio Reference Series was conceived with one goal in mind—low distortion. Each speaker was carefully designed and optimized to offer the highest performance with the lowest distortion levels. At the same time, by focusing on features that contribute to sound quality and eliminating unnecessary frills, the drivers offer value unparalleled in the industry. Dayton Audio Reference Series RS180-8 7" woofers deliver exceptional clarity, detail, and dynamics—and of course, incredibly low distortion.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                        • Aug 2000

That's just what you need!
                                        the AudioWorx
                                        Natalie P
                                        M8ta
                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                        Modula MT XE
                                        Modula Xtreme
                                        Isiris
                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                        Minerva Monitor
                                        Calliope
                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                        Obi-Wan
                                        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                        Modula PWB
                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                          • Aug 2000

OK, I'm going to stir the pot a little today- if you want to set the Wayback Machine to 2005, I rounded up my inventory of original. vintage NIB RS28a, 9 pieces, and could sell some of those at my original cost plus shipping. Then you could use the original crossover. Obviously, only a useful idea if you haven't purchased the SB parts already.

But it's an option.
                                          the AudioWorx
                                          Natalie P
                                          M8ta
                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                          Modula MT XE
                                          Modula Xtreme
                                          Isiris
                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                          Minerva Monitor
                                          Calliope
                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                          Obi-Wan
                                          Modula PWB
                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ChadC
                                            • Jul 2007

I did buy the SB’s, but can send them back. I like the idea of using the original crossover. Let me know how much for a pair of the RS’s plus shipping. Thanks!

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                              Mad Max Moderator
                                              • Aug 2000

Where are you located? The RS28a's I can sell for $80 for a pair. Shipping depends on how far, of course- I'm in Idaho these days.
                                              the AudioWorx
                                              Natalie P
                                              M8ta
                                              Modula Neo DCC
                                              Modula MT XE
                                              Modula Xtreme
                                              Isiris
                                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                              Minerva Monitor
                                              Calliope
                                              Ardent D

In Development...
                                              Obi-Wan
                                              Modula PWB
                                              Calliope CC Supreme
                                              Natalie P Ultra
                                              Natalie P Supreme
                                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ChadC
                                                • Jul 2007

I’m in Grove City Ohio. 43123

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                                  • Aug 2000

Well, shipping will be a bit more, but parcel post could save money on that if you want. I’ll research and see what I can find out. It will be similar to shipping costs from Parts Express to me- like my recent crossover parts order. Probably around $20.

the AudioWorx
                                                  Natalie P
                                                  M8ta
                                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                                  Modula MT XE
                                                  Modula Xtreme
                                                  Isiris
                                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                  Minerva Monitor
                                                  Calliope
                                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                                  Obi-Wan
                                                  Modula PWB
                                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                                    • Aug 2000

And, knowing that on the internet, it's not real without pictures (but even with pictures but with AI it may not be real!)

My stock:

Click image for larger version  Name:	RS180s.jpg Views:	17 Size:	523.0 KB ID:	949350

Plus my original kit for a possible "simplified" NatP using the Seas ER18RNX woofer, which simplifies the HF resonance, but didn't work low enough, though I got pretty good results (about 30Hz) in the very first Ardent on the low end, using an EBS alignment designed for positioning away from boundaries.

Name:	RS180+ER18RNX.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	445.5 KB
ID:	949352

Last edited by theSven; 30 September 2023, 21:14 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
                                                    the AudioWorx
                                                    Natalie P
                                                    M8ta
                                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                                    Modula MT XE
                                                    Modula Xtreme
                                                    Isiris
                                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                    Minerva Monitor
                                                    Calliope
                                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                                    Obi-Wan
                                                    Modula PWB
                                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• technodanvan
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Nov 2009

mmmm....those are purdy...

if you're looking to offload more of those let me know.
                                                      - Danny

Comment

• ChadC
                                                        • Jul 2007

That all looks good and seems fair. How can send you my address and payment method?

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                                          • Aug 2000

Have you ever used PM's (Private Messages) on the Message center? Tell you what, I'll send you a PM with my email address.
                                                          the AudioWorx
                                                          Natalie P
                                                          M8ta
                                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                                          Modula MT XE
                                                          Modula Xtreme
                                                          Isiris
                                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                          Minerva Monitor
                                                          Calliope
                                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                                          Obi-Wan
                                                          Modula PWB
                                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                            Mad Max Moderator
                                                            • Aug 2000

You have new email with details, and a package of two RS28a, checked out electrically before packing up, are on the way to you.
                                                            the AudioWorx
                                                            Natalie P
                                                            M8ta
                                                            Modula Neo DCC
                                                            Modula MT XE
                                                            Modula Xtreme
                                                            Isiris
                                                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                            Minerva Monitor
                                                            Calliope
                                                            Ardent D

In Development...
                                                            Obi-Wan
                                                            Modula PWB
                                                            Calliope CC Supreme
                                                            Natalie P Ultra
                                                            Natalie P Supreme
                                                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                              Mad Max Moderator
                                                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by technodanvan
                                                              mmmm....those are purdy...

if you're looking to offload more of those let me know.
                                                              I have several more pairs if you're interested, that have past impedance sweep tests. Just PM or email me.

the AudioWorx
                                                              Natalie P
                                                              M8ta
                                                              Modula Neo DCC
                                                              Modula MT XE
                                                              Modula Xtreme
                                                              Isiris
                                                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                              Minerva Monitor
                                                              Calliope
                                                              Ardent D

In Development...
                                                              Obi-Wan
                                                              Modula PWB
                                                              Calliope CC Supreme
                                                              Natalie P Ultra
                                                              Natalie P Supreme
                                                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                              Search Result for "|||"