• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scottg
    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by HiFiCompass
    The measurements and review of BlieSMa T34A-4 tweeter have been added

http://hificompass.com/en/content/bl...g-dome-tweeter

Nice , but pricey 8O . (..in fact I was thinking upper-mid array until I looked at the price. ..6 of those and the little RAAL. Alas, not-to-be.) ops:

..BUT, perhaps its the wet-dream of Spica designer John Bau (..well, until he found out the price - he preferred frugal-design). Maybe John Dunlavy if he were still alive. They definitely should be contacting Richard Vandersteen.

Comment

• HiFiCompass
      • Jan 2018

Another one Bliesma T34A-4 review

Comment

• HiFiCompass
        • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Dave Bullet
        If components means crossover and drivers, I couldn't agree more with this statement. I decided to swap between Seas 27TDFC/G and 27TBFC/G tweeters (yes you read that correctly - fabric vs. metal domes - both with Seas hexagrid covers) and excluding minor 0.5dB sensitivity gain of the 27TBFC/G, when level matched, on certain tracks the B was forward, especially on compressed 80s music and some male vocals. Whereas the D version was balanced and allowed me to hear the upper treble. PS: identical crossover (tweeter only playing).

I confirmed the above with another pair of ears :-) (PS: they were returned to the owner).

For the life of me, with my limited experience and measurement tools and skills - I could not see the difference via measurements to have picked this up.

Only my ears could.
        The measurements of Seas 27TBFC/G have been added.

Now you can compare 27TDFC with 27TBFC/G:

Comment

• fish fingers
          • Apr 2015

Another one Bliesma T34A-4 review

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/BliSMa_T34A-4.htm
          Hi, did you by chance listen to these tweeters in a system? Troels doesn't really go into any detail yet, I wd love to hear subjective opinions

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Comment

• HiFiCompass
            • Jan 2018

I can't say more than it is written in the review due the same reasons. Preliminary listening is very promising. We plan to design a 2-way loudspeaker project on the base of this tweeter by the end of March approximately. So, wait a bit...

Comment

• Zvu
              • Oct 2013

What midwoofer will you be using ?
              Tesla; George Carlin;

Comment

• HiFiCompass
                • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Zvu
                What midwoofer will you be using ?
                It have to be determined yet but something from SB Acoustics definitely. The final decision will be taken only after listening tests.
                Perhaps, we will start some parallel projects...

Comment

• fish fingers
                  • Apr 2015

I can't say more than it is written in the review due the same reasons. Preliminary listening is very promising. We plan to design a 2-way loudspeaker project on the base of this tweeter by the end of March approximately. So, wait a bit...
                  Cd be a nice tweeter for some of the larger accuton's

Comment

• HiFiCompass
                    • Jan 2018

Originally posted by fish fingers
                    Cd be a nice tweeter for some of the larger accuton's

I'm agree with you but this project is being planned more accessible

Comment

• HiFiCompass
                      • Jan 2018

The measurements of SEAS 27TFFNC-G (H1396) have been added:

Comment

• HiFiCompass
                        • Jan 2018

The measurements of SB Acoustics SB29SDAC-C000-4 have been added:

Comment

• HiFiCompass
                          • Jan 2018

The measurements of Peerless DA25BG08-06 have been added:

Comment

• 5th element
                            Supreme Being Moderator
                            • Sep 2009

I've been wondering how those Peerless/Tymphany alu domes measure and it appears that they are quite decent. Very similar to the performance of the SEAS 27TBFC/G in fact. Given their price advantage vs the SEAS...
                            What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
                            5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
                            Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• HiFiCompass
                              • Jan 2018

Yeah, almost the same performance but for much less price.
                              Funnily, DA25 has a copper ring in the gap and additional magnet but it didn't help him to beat the much older and simpler good grandad SEAS 27tbfc☺

Comment

• Zvu
                                • Oct 2013

Still, none of them can come near SB26ADC and it's price is low enough not to look at the Seas or Peerless. It is easily in line with best Scan Speak tweeters regarding distortion.

Speaking of best SS - i'm still in awe how that little D3004/602000 measures. Small flange, extremely low distortion, low resonance frequency and flat frequency response makes it suitable for literally everything. You can put it in a waveguide or use it in high-end MTM with couple of 3"/4"/5" midranges helped by four woofers - Kii3 style - and make the crossover frequency as low as you want moving the lobes lower in frequency.

Since Kii3 uses el cheapo Peerless SBS-160F35AL01-04 i just might try that. It is a bit hard to find but costs between 10 and 20 $ - if you buy more than 500

But, Peerless SBS-160F35CP01-04 is readily available so i just might use that if i don't find the alu cone version - difference is cone material.
                                Tesla; George Carlin;

Comment

• HiFiCompass
                                  • Jan 2018

I'm agree regarding SS D3004/6020 - very nice tweeter with very low distortion. It has a lot of way to use.

I listened to Kii3 speakers very briefly only one time at AXPONA show and immediately was impressed by their bass performance for this size!
                                  It seems Peerless SBS-160F35CP01-04 is specially intended for compact size active loudspeakers. I will try give them more time at Munich-2018 Hi-End show.

Comment

• HiFiCompass
                                    • Jan 2018

The measurements of Peerless BC25TG15-04 have been added:

Very nice tweeter for that price

Comment

• HiFiCompass
                                      • Jan 2018

Satori MW19P-4 midwoofer measurements have been added:

Comment

• 5th element
                                        Supreme Being Moderator
                                        • Sep 2009

Hmm those distortion peaks at 1khz 8O ouch! Especially at the higher driver levels.
                                        What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!

Comment

• HiFiCompass
                                          • Jan 2018

We just have finished a 2-way loudspeaker project with MW19P-4 speaker and I want to say that there are no any evidences of those distortion peaks in the final sounding.

Last edited by HiFiCompass; 05 May 2018, 15:56 Saturday.

Comment

• TMM
                                            • Jul 2015

With the individual driver measurements I was doubtful that it would work acceptably in a 2-way but it looks like you managed to pull it off

Was it a different woofer sample to the one used for the previous measurements though? The resonance frequency changed a little. It also doesn't take much for the kHz distortion components to disappear due to beaming if the mic is placed slightly off-axis to the woofer. Still, the HD spike probably looks worse than it is in the individual measurements because the HD below 1kHz is very very low: -65dB H5 at a low-mid listening level isn't critical.

Comment

• HiFiCompass
                                              • Jan 2018

Yes, the midwoofer was another, not one which was used in the individual speaker measurements website page. It has slightly different surround resonance frequency. The difference is about 150Hz. But that is all about it, frequency responses and distortion plots are the same. I mean the relative intensity of HD peaks.
                                              I reckoned up that HD measurements for Pharaohs were carry out at angle about 17 degrees (on axis in between tweeter and midwoofer) so there could be some influence of HF midwoofer beaming on HD measurements but on 4th and 5th harmonics only and very little on 3rd one.
                                              The main thing is that there is not sensitive influence of the HD peaks on the overall sound character.

Comment

• augerpro
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Aug 2006

We just have finished a 2-way loudspeaker project with MW19P-4 speaker and I want to say that there are no any evidences of those distortion peaks in the final sounding.

http://hificompass.com/en/projects/2...ystems/pharaoh
                                                Nicely thought out project! Could you explain more what you were seeing with different port positions?
                                                ~Brandon 8O
                                                Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
                                                Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
                                                DriverVault
                                                Soma Sonus

Comment

• 5th element
                                                  Supreme Being Moderator
                                                  • Sep 2009

I'm not surprised that the resonance isn't an issue in the Pharaoh because it doesn't exist! At least not like in the original measurements.

The shift of it, up to ~1200Hz in frequency, plus your xover frequency, offers useful attenuation that helps to reduce its excitation. Besides that it looks far less severe in the driver you used in the Pharaoh than in the one your initially measured.

Even at 2 volts, with the original driver, there was a significant increase in all orders of distortion, this doesn't appear with the driver in the Pharaoh. Even at 11V2 the 4th and 5th orders are barely noticeable. Clearly there's a quality control issue because one driver behaves as I would have expected a larger Satori driver to behave (the one in the Pharaoh) and the other one does not.

Comment

• PANDINUS
                                                    • May 2018

Measurements on the manufacturer's page match the measurements made by HifiCompass (3rd order peak at 1.3K at C158-8-085)
                                                    I built two speakers fitted with a medium tone from Accuton, the first one was C90-6-079 and the other C173-6-096E. Before that I used Visaton, Dynaudio, SS. And I did not stay at Accuton, followed by Visaton and the SS. Choice is a matter of taste and money. And the sound result also depends on the symbiosis with attached instruments and cables.
                                                    Excuse my very bad English. Better it will not be-google translate.

Comment

• HiFiCompass
                                                      • Jan 2018

Originally posted by augerpro
                                                      Nicely thought out project! Could you explain more what you were seeing with different port positions?
                                                      Thank you

With different port positions I was tracking the spectrum of signal outside of the port. The point of interest was the magnitude of self port resonances at 1/2 wave length, 1 wave length, 1 1/2 wave length and so on. I was seeing at the background level under these peaks too. It all depends on length and diameter of the port, port ends flaring inside and outside, height of port position (actually positioning of the inside end of port) and stuffing.

Comment

• HiFiCompass
                                                        • Jan 2018

SEAS CA22RNY (H1471) woofer measurements have been added:

Comment

• HiFiCompass
                                                          • Jan 2018

BlieSMa T34B-4 beryllium dome tweeter measurements have been added:

Comment

• HiFiCompass
                                                            • Jan 2018

Audax TW034X0 textile dome tweeter measurements have been added:

Comment

• olu78
                                                              • Sep 2012

Are there any plans to review the Tymphany DA25TX? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Comment

• HiFiCompass
                                                                • Jan 2018

If anyone kindly send me those speakers for testing then I can say "Yes" certainly.
                                                                Maybe it would be worth to make a direct contact with Tymphany?
                                                                Originally posted by olu78
                                                                Are there any plans to review the Tymphany DA25TX? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Comment

• HiFiCompass
                                                                  • Jan 2018

The measurements of Satori TW29B-B have been added:

Comment

• Bear
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Dec 2008

The measurements of Satori TW29B-B have been added:

http://hificompass.com/en/speakers/m...satori-tw29b-b
                                                                    That's ... impressive. The F2 is competitive, but the F3 - F5 were impressively low, even at 5.6v.
                                                                    Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• HiFiCompass
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jan 2018

The measurements of ScanSpeak 18M/4631T00 have been added:

​​​​​​​http://hificompass.com/en/speakers/m...eak-18m4631t00

Comment

• Bear
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Dec 2008

The measurements of ScanSpeak 18M/4631T00 have been added:

​​​​​​​http://hificompass.com/en/speakers/m...eak-18m4631t00
                                                                        The sliced paper cone from the Revelator series continues to seem like it is best used in the 18cm form factor. Impressive performance.

Comment

• HiFiCompass
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Jan 2018

The measurements of ScanSpeak R2904/700009 have been added:

Comment

• Zvu
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Oct 2013
                                                                            • 434

I really don't like what i see regarding distortion.

Thanks for this.
                                                                            Tesla; George Carlin;

Comment

• Bear
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Dec 2008
                                                                              • 1038

#83
                                                                              Originally posted by Zvu

Thanks for this.
                                                                              I think this is true for me for basically every one of the Tympany/Vifa/SS ring radiators. This being the latest.

Comment

• Zvu
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Oct 2013
                                                                                • 434

#84
                                                                                I don't have that problem when it is for 20 dollars:

I do have that problem when it costs 330. For that kind of money it's got to be much better in all fields.

The Scan-speak R2904-7000-09 tweeter is the new flagship tweeter in the Scan-speak line. This tweeter incorporates many innovative design concepts. Features: •1" Ring Dome Diaphragm •Patented Symmetrical Drive (SD-2) motor •Non Resonant Alu Rear Chamber •Patented Phase Plug Design •Large Ring Neo Magnet for High Output •Black Anodized Machined Alu Face Plate
                                                                                Tesla; George Carlin;

Comment

• PANDINUS
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                  • May 2018
                                                                                  • 34

#85
                                                                                  Originally posted by Zvu

Thanks for this.
                                                                                  What's the trouble? Do you hear H2 distortion?
                                                                                  Excuse my very bad English. Better it will not be-google translate.

Comment

• Zvu
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Oct 2013
                                                                                    • 434

#86
                                                                                    It's not about HD2 nor HD3 - but HD5 at 5.6V reaches -54dB in tweeter that costs 330 USD, and stays -62dB in tweeter that costs 20 USD ?

With that i have serious issue.
                                                                                    Tesla; George Carlin;

Comment

• 5th element
                                                                                      Supreme Being Moderator
                                                                                      • Sep 2009
                                                                                      • 1671

#87
                                                                                      Originally posted by Zvu
                                                                                      It's not about HD2 nor HD3 - but HD5 at 5.6V reaches -54dB in tweeter that costs 330 USD, and stays -62dB in tweeter that costs 20 USD ?

With that i have serious issue.
                                                                                      Indeed me too. Those high order HD products make me think that the tweeter is defective... they should not be there.

Comment

• TMM
                                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                                        • Jul 2015
                                                                                        • 29

#88
                                                                                        If you are referring to the peak of H5 at 7-8kHz, that is not audible to humans; 7*5=35kHz. Maybe dogs and cats will be unimpressed with it . Still it is a hefty price to pay for a tweeter when you can get an XT25TG/XT25BG for 1/10th the price and the only significant disadvantage is the plastic faceplate.

edit: It's odd that it's totally absent from the 2V measurement. I noticed that peaks at similar frequencies are present on the XT25TG, XT25BG, 22TAF/G, 27TDC (to name a few) measurements in varying severity, probably others too. There's a chance that it isn't the driver but instead part of the noise floor of the measurement setup - it's not uncommon for switching powersupplies to emit noises at ultrasonic frequencies and I have the same problems in my own measurements.

Comment

• HiFiCompass
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Jan 2018
                                                                                          • 288

#89
                                                                                          On my measurements of XT25-xxxx tweeters and other ones which have very extended FR almost always there are false splashes on HD plots. I suspect it is due the feature of the digital processing algorithm of measurement system. I do the measurements at Fs=96kHz sampling rate. When I doing them at 48kHz there are no any problem on HD graphs at all but then some useful frequency range is lost because I can measure HD5 up to 4800 Hz only. When I do at 96kHz that effect appears at frequencies equal 0.8 of ( Fs/2)/#HD. I could to cut upper limit at 0.75 of that figure and all would be OK at graphs but not all tweeters behave so way. So I decided do not do that. Usually those peaks not large, have constant height and SURELY are shifted one from another. See for example measurements of XT25TG30-04 for HD3, HD4 and HD5.
                                                                                          Otherwise, if peaks are coincident it says about parasitic resonances. It can be seen from r2904/700009 measurements, HD4 coincide with HD5 at 7k5.

Comment

• Bear
                                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                                            • Dec 2008
                                                                                            • 1038

#90
                                                                                            Originally posted by TMM
                                                                                            If you are referring to the peak of H5 at 7-8kHz, that is not audible to humans; 7*5=35kHz. Maybe dogs and cats will be unimpressed with it . Still it is a hefty price to pay for a tweeter when you can get an XT25TG/XT25BG for 1/10th the price and the only significant disadvantage is the plastic faceplate.
                                                                                            Maybe I'm misreading the charts, but I'd expect that a 7kHz - 8kHz bump in H5 was being generated by fundamental in the 1.4kHz - 1.6kHz range, which may (or may not) is likely to be outside the passband, and thus diminished in energy, but still within normal human hearing ranges. The bump in H3 at the same location is more problematic for me since this would come from a fundamental in the 2.3kHz - 2.7kHz range, which is almost assuredly going to be at full strength in the passband. Or am I misreading the chart?

On my measurements of XT25-xxxx tweeters and other ones which have very extended FR almost always there are false splashes on HD plots. I suspect it is due the feature of the digital processing algorithm of measurement system. I do the measurements at Fs=96kHz sampling rate. When I doing them at 48kHz there are no any problem on HD graphs at all but then some useful frequency range is lost because I can measure HD5 up to 4800 Hz only. When I do at 96kHz that effect appears at frequencies equal 0.8 of ( Fs/2)/#HD. I could to cut upper limit at 0.75 of that figure and all would be OK at graphs but not all tweeters behave so way. So I decided do not do that. Usually those peaks not large, have constant height and SURELY are shifted one from another. See for example measurements of XT25TG30-04 for HD3, HD4 and HD5.
                                                                                            A quick note on the site about your testing methodology and equipment would be good. If you are aligning the HD plots with the fundamental that generates them, then that would be good to know. I mostly assume that what what is displayed is where it was measured.
                                                                                            Otherwise, if peaks are coincident it says about parasitic resonances. It can be seen from r2904/700009 measurements, HD4 coincide with HD5 at 7k5.
                                                                                            It may be good to flag these when you think these are about the driver vs. the test environment (a quick paragraph/section on the testing results?). I've mostly assumed that coincident peaks in your measurements are caused by resonances exclusively.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"