Some speaker driver measurements...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HiFiCompass
    • Jan 2018

The measurements of the BlieSMa T25D-6 Diamond dome tweeter have been added:

BlieSMa T25D-6 | HiFiCompass

Comment

• cotdt
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by HiFiCompass

It doesn't quite reach 40kHz but it's amazing how they suppressed the diamond breakup entirely.

Comment

• tktran
        • Jan 2005

I think the breakup is still there- but a valley instead of a peak. It's apparent by looking at the off-axis graphs with dips between 30KHz-40Khz.
        But never mind. It's technically perfect to 20KHz, IMHO. In fact, the top octave (10Khz-20Khz) is over-rated.

Comment

• Bear
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2008

Yevgeniy - Any information on when the T25 series will be available? If I remember correctly, the initial target was November, and, well... :-D
          Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• HiFiCompass
            • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Bear
            Yevgeniy - Any information on when the T25 series will be available? If I remember correctly, the initial target was November, and, well... :-D
            I think most likely December-January...

Comment

• HiFiCompass
              • Jan 2018

A review of the first PURIFI PTT6.5W04-01A midwoofer:

PURIFI PTT6.5W04-01A midwoofer review | HiFiCompass

Comment

• cotdt
                • Oct 2005

A review of the first PURIFI PTT6.5W04-01A midwoofer:

PURIFI PTT6.5W04-01A midwoofer review | HiFiCompass
                wow!

Comment

• NyxOne
                  • Jan 2008

Top class response but the harmonic are only slightly better than Satori line and they will most likely be asking much more...

Great driver but not a giant killer!

Chuck

Comment

• Zvu
                    • Oct 2013

450€/piece. Almost 3.5 x mw16p-8
                    Tesla; George Carlin;

Comment

• NyxOne
                      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Zvu
                      450€/piece. Almost 3.5 x mw16p-8
                      [emoji33]

Comment

• cotdt
                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by NyxOne
                        Top class response but the harmonic are only slightly better than Satori line and they will most likely be asking much more...

Great driver but not a giant killer!

Chuck
                        Purifi has double the output though with 10+ mm of xmax.

Comment

• NyxOne
                          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by cotdt
                          Purifi has double the output though with 10+ mm of xmax.
                          Buy two satori and you’ll have left over money to put on crossover parts, cabinet, etc.

Don’t get me wrong, It’s a great product not just a giant killer even if it were half the price!

Chuck

Comment

• Bear
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Dec 2008

Buy two satori and you’ll have left over money to put on crossover parts, cabinet, etc.

Don’t get me wrong, It’s a great product not just a giant killer even if it were half the price!

Chuck
                            At half the price, I suspect that it's not a giant killer, but it simply becomes a giant. ScanSpeak still sells lots of $200+ woofers despite SBA/Satori. Purifi would sell a bunch of these at $250-ish. At $450, it may become a darling for the boutique speaker manufacturers, but we'll see how/whether it can dislodge SS in its niche.

Comment

• tktran
                              • Jan 2005

As far a I can see, this is state of the art for 2020.

I'm a member of Hificompass.com, and when I log-in I can compare up to 3 drivers, side by side.

Is it better than the Satori MW16P? Yes?
                              Is it better than SS Ellipticor, Accuton and AudioTechnology, SEAS Excel Graphene.
                              It appears to me, yes!

Sure, the value proposition of all this unit is low. But so it are the others.
                              But the performance of the Purifi is there.

Good:
                              Flat and smooth on axis and off axis - check
                              No cone edge resonance- check
                              No fierce breakup- check
                              Plenty of excursion- check
                              Excellent nonlinear distortion- check

Bed:
                              Sensitivity- slightly lower than average

Ugly:
                              Single unit DIY pricing is high.

Summary-
                              Bends the rule- there's no replacement for displacement- better than 8 or 9" woofers
                              Bends the rule- ultra low linear distortion AND linear distortion in the midrange.
                              Lay terms: Will play cleaner, clearer and louder! Does excellent bass AND excellent midrange.

Count me in- where do I buy a quad?
                              Last edited by tktran; 15 November 2019, 02:54 Friday.

Comment

• ergo
                                • Mar 2005

Sure looks like a potent driver. I'd envision another 2.5way project with these, but that would need 4 + nice beryllium tweeters to pair with to live up to the base performance of these... that means quite many EUR so needs some planning ahead. Nice to know there is something like this to dream towards

Comment

• NyxOne
                                  • Jan 2008

Some speaker driver measurements...

Originally posted by tktran
                                  As far a I can see, this is state of the art for 2020.

I'm a member of Hificompass.com, and when I log-in I can compare up to 3 drivers, side by side.

Is it better than the Satori MW16P? Yes?
                                  Is it better than SS Ellipticor, Accuton and AudioTechnology, SEAS Excel Graphene.
                                  It appears to me, yes!
                                  Agreed.

It’s definitely a better driver than the others but not by that much! I mean, distortion wise how much better is it really in absolute value. 5% overall maybe? I’m too lazy to run the numbers...

And that 10mm figure is still to be proven. Manufacturer tend to take there numbers from the marketing department. Keep an eye on Dickason review! I’m sure someone will post it soon enough.

That being said, just to be clear:

>>> It is a GIANT and SOTA!

Just a very expensive one and personally care more about my money than those last few percents of performance... even if I could afford it which I can’t (obviously)!!!

My thinking : why buy only one Bugatti Chiron when for that same price you can have a Corvette C8, an Acura NSX, a Lamborghini and a Tesla Roadster.

Chuck

Comment

• 5th element
                                    Supreme Being Moderator
                                    • Sep 2009

It does what we hoped, and thought, it would do. It's too expensive. The bulk pricing for 10+ units should be the price for one.

A comparison with textreme will be interesting.

As I originally said a while back the proposition of a single one of these in a small cabinet, active system, with Purifi amplifiers is a big one. That's a small system with big sound and in a way that no other driver would appear to be able to do. Not that other drivers wouldn't be capable they just haven't been designed that way and hence aren't available. This is a very niche product and the only similar competitors from the past would be the anarchy and the scan speak illuminator 7" drivers. Sure neither of those are quite as good as the Purifi woofer but they are similar. Neither of those shook up the industry or the DIY sector. They ended up seldom used but always praised when used correctly.

The main issue here is price. If they cost the same as SBs standard range then no one would have a reason to go with anything else when after a 6-7" woofer.

As it stands, for a lower price woofer, you're still going to go with Dayton Audio or SB Acoustics. If you want a genuine improvement in performance and have more to spend then you'll go with a Satori. If you have the room then a small sub plus Satori would be the obvious choice in keeping with the small main speaker form factor. If you can go bigger than a 6" woofer then you'll never go with the Purifi as bigger 3 ways will give you more performance and bang for your buck.

I mean yes the Purifi has slightly better midrange non linear performance Vs a Satori but, and I say this as the biggest non linear distortion proponent on the planet, you are not going to hear this. Plus the textreme would appear to potentially lower non linear HD too.

Basically we're back to the - if it has to be small and you cannot add a small sub under the couch or in a corner, then the Purifi is the obvious, but expensive, option.

I do like the proposition of a slim three way tower with several of these stacked in a line plus a suitable midrange, or a coax like the SEAS C18. It'd look very stylish and have excellent performance. Still you'd be better off with multiple subs but then you always are.

Not to be a harsh critic for SEAS but their graphene drivers are not looking appealing at all with these now being released and with the textreme Satori on the way.
                                    What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
                                    5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
                                    Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• HiFiCompass
                                      • Jan 2018

The measurements of the Tectonic TEBM46C20N-4B fullrange speaker have been added:

Tectonic TEBM46C20N-4B | HiFiCompass

Comment

• HiFiCompass
                                        • Jan 2018

A good opportunity to become a lucky owner of one of the best tweeters of today!

Black Friday at BlieSMa - http://bliesma.de/

Comment

• cochinada
                                          • May 2014

A good opportunity to become a lucky owner of one of the best tweeters of today!

25% is a great discount! What is the retailing price anyway, do you know?
                                          Joaquim

DIY 4 way speakers.
                                          DIY subwoofers.
                                          Zaph ZD3C.

Comment

• HiFiCompass
                                            • Jan 2018

Originally posted by cochinada
                                            25% is a great discount! What is the retailing price anyway, do you know?
                                            Around €399/pc, if I remember correctly

Comment

• ergo
                                              • Mar 2005

Seems between 400...468EUR in Europe (with VAT) for the Be one

Comment

• Bear
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Dec 2008

It would have been great to have the T25 series available!

Comment

• HiFiCompass
                                                  • Jan 2018

The fullrange speaker Tectonic TEBM65C20F-8 measurements have been added:

Tectonic TEBM65C20F-8 | HiFiCompass

Comment

• HiFiCompass
                                                    • Jan 2018

The review of the Viawave SRT-7 ribbon tweeter:

Viawave SRT-7 ribbon tweeter | HiFiCompass

Comment

• HiFiCompass
                                                      • Jan 2018

The measurements of the "entry level" ScanSpeak Ellipticor 18WE/4542T00 midwoofer:

ScanSpeak Ellipticor 18WE/4542T00 | HiFiCompass

Comment

• tktran
                                                        • Jan 2005

“Entry level”?

In Australian English that means the baseline.
                                                        This looks like SOTA performance. Nothing to complain about, apart from the outrageous retail price.

Here’s my analysis:

The good:
                                                        Extraordinary magnet system aesthetics and construction quality
                                                        Probably good reliability in supply and consistency (based on Scan-Speak heritage)
                                                        Higher sensitivity compared to the Purifi 6.5” (needs half the wattage drive to reach same SPL)
                                                        Excellent midrange and midbass; equally suited to for 3 way or 2 way applications.

The bad:
                                                        Where did my money go?
                                                        (Twice as expensive as the Purifi, which everyone already thinks is too expensive)

The ugly:
                                                        Ordinary looking paper cone with oval eyeball dust cap.

How’s it sound?
                                                        ? Cleaner than the Purifi for pure midrange applications (The lower H4 & H5 suggest even lower higher order harmonic distortions (H6-H9)

Summary- 6.5” paper cone driver pushed to the limits.

All things considered-
                                                        Given the current state of the world Moving towards miniaturisation; where a 5.25” driver is put into a 1/4 cu foot box is a “subwoofers“; I consider the Purifi 6.5” the winner.

Comment

• HiFiCompass
                                                          • Jan 2018

Originally posted by tktran
                                                          “Entry level”?
                                                          It was an ironic joke, of course[emoji846].

The spraker sounds very, very good to my ears. I think it is the best of all SS 6" speakers.

Comment

• HiFiCompass
                                                            • Jan 2018

The measurements of the silk 2" dome midrange Dayton Audio RS52FN-8:

Dayton Audio RS52FN-8 | HiFiCompass

Comment

• augerpro
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Aug 2006

The measurements of the silk 2" dome midrange Dayton Audio RS52FN-8:

Dayton Audio RS52FN-8 | HiFiCompass
                                                              That's so much worse than the aluminum version I almost wonder if you got a defective sample?
                                                              ~Brandon 8O
                                                              Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
                                                              Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
                                                              DriverVault
                                                              Soma Sonus

Comment

• tktran
                                                                • Jan 2005

Tim Feleppa had a similar result- the RS52FN-8
                                                                model is not in the same level of excellence as the RS52AN-8

It's hard to say if the differences between these (RS52FN-8) drivers and the aluminium ones I have can be put down to the dome material or the difference in manufacturing facility (China vs. India). Assuming my results are indicative of the current crop of drivers, I'd recommend the aluminium RS52 over this.

Comment

• HiFiCompass
                                                                  • Jan 2018

Originally posted by augerpro
                                                                  That's so much worse than the aluminum version I almost wonder if you got a defective sample?
                                                                  Don't know, but I published measurements of the best speaker of a pair I had. I was disappointed too...

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by augerpro

It occurs to me that without a destructive tear down you will not really know, but I would hazard to guess that the motors are quite different, or of different sources. The soft dome version is most disturbing - I would be advised to say, unusable.
                                                                    DFAL
                                                                    Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

• HiFiCompass
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jan 2018

The measurements of woofer out of sometime Kharma top loudspeakers - Kharma Exqusite Grand:

Eton 12-680/62Hex out of Kharma Exquisite Grand | HiFiCompass

Comment

• Bear
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Dec 2008

The measurements of woofer out of sometime Kharma top loudspeakers - Kharma Exqusite Grand:

Eton 12-680/62Hex out of Kharma Exquisite Grand | HiFiCompass
                                                                        That is … not good enough for the price of admission.

Comment

• NyxOne
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Jan 2008

That is … not good enough for the price of admission.
                                                                          It feels like nowadays great marketing make great speakers... [emoji24]

Comment

• Bear
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Dec 2008
                                                                            • 1038

It feels like nowadays great marketing make great speakers... [emoji24]
                                                                            Yes. Those are … exquisite …. woofers with that kind of performance.

Comment

• 5th element
                                                                              Supreme Being Moderator
                                                                              • Sep 2009
                                                                              • 1671

Those Eton are even worse than I was expecting.
                                                                              What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
                                                                              5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
                                                                              Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Nov 2004
                                                                                • 1532

Classically, Elton has made some drivers with very good cone assemblies, but I have yet to see an Elton driver with a well designed motor.

The 12-680 follows that path. The impedance curve tells part of the story at a glance.
                                                                                DFAL
                                                                                Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

• Bear
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Dec 2008
                                                                                  • 1038

How is Audio HiFi as a vendor? Reputable? I'm waiting on the T25 release for a project, but I could easily use the T34 if I had a substantially different economic exchange than what Solen is wanting.

Comment

• HiFiCompass
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Jan 2018
                                                                                    • 288

Audio-hi.fi is Ok

Comment

• HiFiCompass
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jan 2018
                                                                                      • 288

The measurements of the Mundorf AMT21CM2.1-C tweeter:

Mundorf AMT21CM2.1-C | HiFiCompass

Comment

• Bear
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • Dec 2008
                                                                                        • 1038

Audio-hi.fi is Ok
                                                                                        Thanks! And aren't you coming up on your second anniversary for providing this great service? It is much appreciated.

Happy New Year!

Comment

• HiFiCompass
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Jan 2018
                                                                                          • 288

Thanks! And aren't you coming up on your second anniversary for providing this great service? It is much appreciated.

Happy New Year!
                                                                                          Yes, yoa are quite right!

Happy New Year to everyone!!!

Comment

• HiFiCompass
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • Jan 2018
                                                                                            • 288

The measurements of the Satori TW29DN-B-8 tweeter:

Satori TW29DN-B-8 | HiFiCompass

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"