Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

ok, so the WG has been sitting on my desk for two weeks now.......

i need to determine how to proceed with smoothing out the surface finish without disturbing the critical surface profile.
    a few possible courses of action:

i can use a filler, then sand down to the original profile

i can just sand down the ABS surface as is

i can put it an acetone fume chamber (which has the potential to produce an uneven surface as it 'melts' the top layers of ABS along with dissolving the phase shield support)

in all cases, the phase shield is a problem.
    i am considering removing it, blending the surface to the required smoothness, & then reattaching it.

what are your thoughts on this approach, Brandon?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170111_073940_zpsln3bcwcy.webp
Views:	67
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	938164

Name:	20170111_074009_zpsh7qqzmjk.webp
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	938165

edit: the reason for the current surface finish has to do with diameter of the ABS filament & the resolution parameters that were programmed/available for the material. getting a better surface finish will require a smaller diameter filament & feed tips, & possible a different material such a nylon, all of which are not available to me at this time.
    Last edited by theSven; 28 May 2023, 15:12 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Steve Manning
      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by wkhanna

edit: the reason for the current surface finish has to do with diameter of the ABS filament & the resolution parameters that were programmed/available for the material. getting a better surface finish will require a smaller diameter filament & feed tips, & possible a different material such a nylon, all of which are not available to me at this time.
      Bill would that increase the fabrication time as well going for a higher resolution, smoother finish?
      Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• 300Z
        • May 2006

I wonder how these imperfections from the printing would actually affect the response?
        Would be nice to see some before and after measurements.
        Leo.

Comment

• augerpro
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2006

I second 300Z's comments. Bill do you have reliable measurement capability?

My current solution is to go to CNC in wood. In the future a buddy of mine is getting a Pegasus 12 3D printer. Claims 50 micron resolution, hopefully we can make that happen after dialing in the settings. It will use 1.75mm hot end. What are your specs and settings Bill?
          ~Brandon 8O
          Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
          Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
          DriverVault
          Soma Sonus

Comment

• wkhanna
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by augerpro
            I second 300Z's comments. Bill do you have reliable measurement capability?
            i just purchased a calibrated UMIK-1, but am still working thru understanding & setting up REW.
            with your help on set-up settings & component positioning i may be able to get you some numbers....?

My current solution is to go to CNC in wood. In the future a buddy of mine is getting a Pegasus 12 3D printer. Claims 50 micron resolution, hopefully we can make that happen after dialing in the settings. It will use 1.75mm hot end. What are your specs and settings Bill?
            i also used 1.75 mm filament
            there are some tweaks i could make to help improve surface finish, but getting a good blend on the contour is a challenge with this size filament

Originally posted by Steve Manning
            Bill would that increase the fabrication time as well going for a higher resolution, smoother finish?
            not necessarily, as the higher resolution is only required on the final pass for the critical surfaces
            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• 300Z
              • May 2006

i just purchased a calibrated UMIK-1, but am still working thru understanding & setting up REW.
              with your help on set-up settings & component positioning i may be able to get you some numbers....?
              You could use the tips here and here to get started.
              Last edited by 300Z; 15 January 2017, 20:24 Sunday.
              Leo.

Comment

• augerpro
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2006

Bill was that a .4mm tip? What resolution was the machine set at?
                ~Brandon 8O
                DriverVault
                Soma Sonus

Comment

• wkhanna
                  • Jan 2006

Brandon,

our machine is a true "industrial production" specification unit.
                  unlike most smaller, low production units, its actual "resolution" parameters are governed by, among other things, tip diameter, slice height settings & material.

as we are still experimenting with & learning the capabilities of this machine, keep in mind your part was run at our current 'default' setting.
                  for your first sample, slice resolution was set at 0.010 inches. (note that there are a range of resolutions available with the same tip on our machine)

i currently have the ability go to 0.005 slice height with the smallest tip we have at this time.
                  along with other parameters i can manipulate, i can produce a much better surface finish.
                  _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by 300Z
                    You could the tips here and here to get started.

thank you, Leo.
                    _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• 300Z
                      • May 2006

thank you, Leo.
                      You're welcome.
                      Now if you feel like reading a bit this is a good help too. Much props to Jeff for putting it together.
                      Leo.

Comment

• wkhanna
                        • Jan 2006

that is a V good link, Leo.
                        thanks again.

btw, i just did reading on Recife......sounds like a really interesting place.....lots of 'old world' charm mixed with a booming tech industry.
                        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• 300Z
                          • May 2006

Recife is an interesting city indeed but unfortunately it's riddled with what I call incompetence from the government, so many things that are wrong and wouldn't take much to fix but for some reason nothing is done about it. I've been here for a little over 3 years now, I like it but from all the other cities that have travelled here in the northeast Recife is the most disorganized (I'm a little OCD so perhaps take that into consideration), but I have met lots of cool and interesting people here tho.
                          Leo.

Comment

• augerpro
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Aug 2006

Calibrated mic is a good start, but I'm not too familiar with REW. I've used the RTA before is about it. Just be sure to use a gated MLS, and end the window before the first reflection. You don't need a terribly big baffle for this, just do a quick sim in EDGE or something to find a smooth response above, say, 1.5khz. Make sure you don't use a typical mic holder, they cause reflections right in the treble. Main thing is getting good comparative results, not so much absolute accuracy (for this particular task).
                            ~Brandon 8O
                            DriverVault
                            Soma Sonus

Comment

• wkhanna
                              • Jan 2006

cool.
                              i just need to what driver i need to get & how you are mounting it.
                              we can handle these details via email, if you prefer.
                              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• augerpro
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Aug 2006

Email, here, don't matter to me. I'm using the SB Acoustics SB26ADC-C000-4. Tailor made for a waveguide. Just unscrew the 4 screws on the faceplate, and the faceplate comes right off. It doesn't hold the dome down or anything so there are no worries.
                                ~Brandon 8O
                                DriverVault
                                Soma Sonus

Comment

• augerpro
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Aug 2006

So the phase shields and mic mount have arrived. Looks like really good quality, though I haven't checked with a caliper yet. If anyone wants to print the mic mount here is the file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/eijmpzwauz...reads.stl?dl=0

This was a 25 micron print in resin at leaderprototyping.com

Name:	20170126_051748.webp
Views:	70
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	938166

Name:	6a213718-d181-4c9a-9261-fd671caeb4a6.webp
Views:	68
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	938167
                                  Last edited by theSven; 28 May 2023, 15:13 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                                  ~Brandon 8O
                                  DriverVault
                                  Soma Sonus

Comment

• augerpro
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Aug 2006

So the waveguides from Tim have arrived and the phase shields are in place. Looking good so far. To reiterate these are all 5" waveguides. Depth is varied for one pair. For the other pair the horn wall is made either tangent or non-tangent at the mouth. The tangent mouth ones have constant flare radius of 2.xx" (can't remember exactly), and the non-tangent mouth ones have a set radius of 4", so much shallower curvature. I have to make a flat baffle mount so the results can be compared to that, hoping to get a friend's 3D printer working this week to make that.

Name:	20170220_155546.webp
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	938168
                                    Last edited by theSven; 28 May 2023, 15:14 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                                    ~Brandon 8O
                                    DriverVault
                                    Soma Sonus

Comment

• 300Z
                                      • May 2006

Looking good. Is that an RS28A?
                                      Leo.

Comment

• Carl V
                                        • Apr 2005

I'll be designing the first guide to be used with the SB Acoustics SB26ADC-C000-4. Once the best practices are established, I'll move on to my Transducer Lab ceramic tweeter. After that I'm hoping someone will supply a few good candidates, like a good Scanspeak.
                                        Unless something has changed.....

Comment

• 300Z
                                          • May 2006

I forgot about that. Thank you.
                                          Originally posted by Carl V
                                          Unless something has changed.....
                                          Leo.

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Nov 2004

There is no doubt that properly implemented, waveguides may be of substantial usefulness in extending the performance of conventional dome tweeters...

Name:	32993038886_4ed08bbc33_o.png
Views:	61
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	938197

I encourage your further development efforts...
                                            Last edited by theSven; 28 May 2023, 15:28 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                                            DFAL
                                            Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

• augerpro
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Aug 2006

Measurements start tomorrow! Finally! I stumbled across a new source for waveguides and hope to be able to tear through some iterations as fast as possible. Finish quality is excellent, although not smooth, similar to 100-200 grit sandpaper. Some sort of laser-sintered nylon process I've never heard of. Anyway, I had the four designs that Tim supplied me in CNC'ed wood above printed on this new process. So some comparisons between the manufacturing method should be helpful.

Right now all the designs are 5" diameter mouth, with two variables to play with: depth (1" vs 3/4") and whether the mouth is tangent to the baffle or not. Depending what the results are I'm going to play with wall radius more, and with and without phase shield. Once I find "best practices" at 5" I'll design some 8" waveguides and see if those hold. If so, I can easily extrapolate in between and just print a couple samples to verify the prediction, instead of doing a bunch of variations at every size.

Name:	20170610_153003.webp
Views:	74
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	938169

Name:	20170610_152915.webp
Views:	66
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	938170
                                              Last edited by theSven; 28 May 2023, 15:15 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                                              ~Brandon 8O
                                              DriverVault
                                              Soma Sonus

Comment

• 300Z
                                                • May 2006

I like it, looks really good. Can't wait to see the measurements.
                                                Leo.

Comment

• augerpro
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Aug 2006

Ok here are the first results. This is data dump, haven't really looked at the results myself in detail yet. A little about my measurement setup: I use MLS measurements with 6ms of clean signal for a quasi-anechoic response, no smoothing, and a calibrated mic. Pictured is the baffle, I don't have my big baffle anymore, so I optimized this the best I could, it does appear that under about 4khz the baffle is having a strong impact. Now IF the waveguides are doing there job, this effect should go away. This first batch is the nylon sintered ones, with phase shield. I'll be posting each update at my Soma Sonus site, so that will be easier reading than this thread.

All waveguides are 5" diameter mouth. The rest of the info is listed below.

Name:	20170612_120520.webp
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	938172

Flat baffle for reference, 0-10-20-30-40-50:

Name:	SPL_0to50.webp
Views:	75
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	938173

3/4" deep, tangent mouth, 0-10-20-30-40-50:

Name:	SPL_0to50-2.webp
Views:	75
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	938174

0-30-60:

Name:	SPL_0_30_60.webp
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	938175

profile:

Name:	profile.webp
Views:	69
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	938176

3/4" deep, non-tangent mouth, 0-10-20-30-40-50:

Name:	SPL_0to50_ps.webp
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	938177

0-30-60:

Name:	SPL_0_30_60_ps.webp
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	938178

profile:

Name:	profile2.webp
Views:	64
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	938179

1" deep, tangent mouth, 0-10-20-30-40-50:

Name:	SPL_0to50_ps-2.webp
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	938180

0-30-60:

Name:	SPL_0_30_60_ps-2.webp
Views:	71
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	938181

profile:

Name:	profile-3.webp
Views:	59
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	938182

1" deep, non-tangent mouth, 0-10-20-30-40-50:

Name:	SPL_0to50_ps-3.webp
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	938183

0-30-60:

Name:	SPL_0_30_60_ps-3.webp
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	938184

profile:

Name:	profile-4.webp
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	938185

Next I'll see what it is like without phase shields, play with phase shield placement a bit, lower radius non-tangent mouth versions possibly even a straight cone, and a roundover on the non-tangent versions.

Any other measurements you'd like to see before I cut the phase shields off?
                                                  Last edited by theSven; 28 May 2023, 15:22 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                                                  ~Brandon 8O
                                                  DriverVault
                                                  Soma Sonus

Comment

• ergo
                                                    • Mar 2005

Cool to see a progress with this. The tangent mouth seems to have a small benefit on axis in a 2..10kHz rang. It's interesting that a bit off axis the small hump at 4..7kHz disappears.
                                                    Thanks a lot for sharing the results!

I have not had any time during the spring to make experiments with the milled WG-s. I did pull a trigger ordering one of these yesterday
                                                    Eshop by Prusa Research a.s., company founded by Josef Prusa, one of the RepRap core developers. We're selling Original Prusa 3D printers (incl. Prusa MK4, Prusa XL), filaments (especially our in-house made Prusament), resins, and other accessories for 3D printing.

So once I get it sometime in August probably it will be interesting. I did also order the 4 material upgrade which arrives later in autumn
                                                    Hello everyone, it is time for another multimaterial upgrade (MMU) update! This time I have good news. We solved the problems I mentioned in the previous update and this means we are getting ready to ship! The solution was to use larger...

that would allow adding a water soluble support structures to the model, so in theory even printing the WG with the phase shield becomes possible, but it's probably more practical still to do it separate.

Comment

• augerpro
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Aug 2006

I heard that Mk2 is a damn good machine. Should get you quality prints.

Yeah I'm not sure whether difference is the mouth, or something related, like the fact the flare radius is much tighter on the tangent mouth specimens. They are 2.2-2.6", while the non-tangent are both 4" radius. I'm going to try some things to tease out the difference. Also the larger radius will meet the dome at a shallower angle, so maybe it is too shallow? That would be the possibility I like the least since it implies that every dome shape will need to have the radius tweaked by experiment to match.
                                                      ~Brandon 8O
                                                      DriverVault
                                                      Soma Sonus

Comment

• augerpro
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Aug 2006

Playing some more with the phase shield. This is on the .75" deep, tangent mouth guide. Let me know if the bolder colors are easier to read or not.

First the original version, with .47" wide phase shield:

Name:	defaultPS_0 to 60.webp
Views:	69
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	938186

Widdling the PS down to roughly .38":

Name:	smallPS_0 to 60.webp
Views:	62
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	938187

Smaller yet, .25" wide:

Name:	really smallPS_0 to 60.webp
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	938188

And no phase shield:

Name:	noPS_0 to 60.webp
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	938189
                                                        Last edited by theSven; 28 May 2023, 15:24 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                                                        ~Brandon 8O
                                                        DriverVault
                                                        Soma Sonus

Comment

• augerpro
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Aug 2006

Another phase shield comparison, this time on the deeper 1", tangent mouth waveguide.

With original .47" wide PS:

Views:	65
ID:	938190

With approx. .38" wide PS:

Name:	smallPS_0 to 50.webp
Views:	65
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	938191

With approx. .25" wide PS:

Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	938192

And last, no phase shield:

Views:	61
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	938193
                                                          Last edited by theSven; 28 May 2023, 15:26 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                                                          ~Brandon 8O
                                                          DriverVault
                                                          Soma Sonus

Comment

• augerpro
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Aug 2006

Moving on to the shallower .75" deep, non-tangent mouth waveguide.

Original .47" wide phase shield:

Views:	68
ID:	938194

Skipped the .38" wide PS and went straight to .25" which seems like the sweet above:

Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	938195

And no phase shield:

Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	938196
                                                            Last edited by theSven; 28 May 2023, 15:28 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                                                            ~Brandon 8O
                                                            DriverVault
                                                            Soma Sonus

Comment

• augerpro
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Aug 2006

As people have discovered before, what is going on right at the throat is the most critical factor. I've got some other phase shield designs to play with, but I'm also going to have the wg that overhands the surround made soon, I think that will be another critical test. I also wonder how the throat angle effects things, but it might take going to the larger wg's to provide room to play. As it is the tangent mouth wg's around low/mid 50 degrees, while the non-tangent wg's are around 40 degrees.
                                                              ~Brandon 8O
                                                              DriverVault
                                                              Soma Sonus

Comment

• ergo
                                                                • Mar 2005

It's interesting that the phase shield effect seems largely affecting only the range from 15kHz up. Would be very interesting if at age of 40 or 50 there will be an audible difference too or not. Microphones do hear better then we do up there for sure.

Comment

• Zvu
                                                                  • Oct 2013

I have Visaton WG148R - 5.83" waveguides. I can call my friend to copy the curve and send it to you to try it if you want to experiment with it.
                                                                  Tesla; George Carlin;

Comment

• augerpro
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Aug 2006

Zvu> looks like an elliptical profile. I was going to play with that today. I would be curious what the throat angle is if you can get that info?
                                                                    ~Brandon 8O
                                                                    DriverVault
                                                                    Soma Sonus

Comment

• Zvu
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Oct 2013

I wouldn't know how to get the info you need but if there is a way to measure it, i can try that.
                                                                      Tesla; George Carlin;

Comment

• Zvu
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Oct 2013

Hey Auger,

I mounted Morel DMS30s (DMS30s, MDT30s, DMS32s, MDT32s and CAT308 are the same tweeter but different cosmetics) in a Visaton WG148R. It's mounted in 13 liters cabinet. Front baffle dimensions are HxW - 33cm x 17.6cm. Measurements done by Holmimpulse from distance of 1m at tweeter axis, gate is set at 270Hz. Vertical distance between driver centers is 15cm.

Here it is:

Name:	odzivi.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	863025

I measured Morel with and without WG148R, on axis so there is diffraction dip at 4KHz:

Name:	Morel u wg.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	863026

Acoustic centers offset between Seas midwoofer and Morel tweeter is just 5mm at Z axis with tweeter in WG148R.

I simulated an xover to test in a couple of days, there is just a few components on tweeter:

Name:	sim.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	863027
                                                                        Tesla; George Carlin;

Comment

• augerpro
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Aug 2006
                                                                          • 1867

Wow that worked out really well! Do you have any pics?
                                                                          ~Brandon 8O
                                                                          DriverVault
                                                                          Soma Sonus

Comment

• Zvu
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Oct 2013
                                                                            • 434

Of course...

Images not available

It was quite simple and fast. Mounting went smoothly because Morel has flat aluminium front plate. I haven't used any filler between waveguide and tweeter front plate because there's no need for that. X-over for tweeter is quite simple - 5 components.

I'm at work at the moment and all i have in my phone are pics of my notebook monitor taken during measurements - i was excited about the results so i had to send it to my best friend: now, right now, this moment and not a moment later... Values of xover are a bit off and so is on axis frequency response, but close enough to see if i'm on the right track. Grid is 2dB. Off-axis smoothed to 3dB/o just to see what are trends when going off axis. Since it was quick and dirty (measurements done this monday at 00:00h, i get up at 06:00 and i really need my 8 hours sleep). So, blue is on axis, about 30deg is bordeaux, and with green the loudspeaker was off axis so much that i could barely see the dome. I'll do more thorough measurements when i wind the coils to the exact values and buy resistors i need. I'll upload screenshots when i get back home.

Images not available

Here are few pics of test cabinets.

Images not available
                                                                            Last edited by theSven; 28 May 2023, 15:29 Sunday. Reason: Remove broken image links
                                                                            Tesla; George Carlin;

Comment

• augerpro
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Aug 2006
                                                                              • 1867

#83
                                                                              deleted post
                                                                              ~Brandon 8O
                                                                              DriverVault
                                                                              Soma Sonus

Comment

• augerpro
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Aug 2006
                                                                                • 1867

#84
                                                                                More test results! After seeing the results of the elliptical above, and promise of the occluded surround, combining the two should be the bomb right? Wrong:

Name:	9C31dsW.png
Views:	165
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	934987

So what wrong? Well for one, with a throat that is smaller and .08" above the tweeter faceplate, forces a slightly different wall profile with a shallower radius. So that could be it. And in contravention of good scientific method I changed two things: I also made the throat diameter just a bit smaller than the prior design so it ended up above the edge of the dome where the voice coil attaches. I suppose I'll have to try it with the same as prior designs I posted, but really, I'm not sure following this path matters much, just going to an (golden) elliptical waveguide provided all the benefits already.

I noticed before that it seems like a lower angle throat that widens rapidly (small wall radius) seems to be the best. To test this more directly I made two waveguides that start as conical to set the throat angle, than a roundover (fillet actually) is applied to transition from throat to mouth. One throat angle was set at 80 degrees and the other at 100. Results:

Name:	4CuwkRg.png
Views:	159
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	934988

Name:	ryuSjr8.png
Views:	155
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	934989

So that does add some good data to support that conclusion. Somewhat along those lines I also made another version of the elliptical from the earlier post where I made the vertical wall radius smaller: 1" versus 1.5" of the original. Here are vertical and horizontal measurements, with and without phase shield:

Name:	fWa3ogG.png
Views:	160
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	934990

Name:	AH5uM5N.png
Views:	156
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	934991

Name:	uFZJwwC.png
Views:	159
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	934992

Name:	C51voo8.png
Views:	162
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	934993

I'll have a lot more to say once I compare that with the original. But I think we're VERY close to an end result!

All of those prior ellipticals were golden ellipses, where the vertical diameter is 61.8% of the horizontal diameter. I thought I would try another variant that wasn't as "squished" but still based on Fibonacci ratios. One ratio would be 23.6%, and subtracting that from 100 leaves 76.4%. I've seen this used in stock trading indicators, but if I understand how Fibs work this isn't a real one, but hey what the heck let's try it anyway:

Name:	MUb9Msv.png
Views:	153
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	934994

Very good, though not better than the golden ellipse. Forgot the vertical responses, sorry.

Best so far:

Name:	lECAhK4.png
Views:	161
Size:	359.5 KB
ID:	934995
                                                                                Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 13:48 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                                ~Brandon 8O
                                                                                DriverVault
                                                                                Soma Sonus

Comment

• augerpro
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Aug 2006
                                                                                  • 1867

#85
                                                                                  Here is a direct comparison of the first elliptical (which I'll call A), and the one above (which I'll call C). These are with the phase shield, 0 and 40 degrees:

Name:	Iwm6hFt.png
Views:	156
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	934996

Both are really good, seems to me splitting the difference would be just right. So I'll have that one printed. Certainly looks better than factory, especially when you consider the baffle diffraction signature is virtually gone with the waveguide:

Name:	d3XDpCF.png
Views:	152
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	934997

Take another look at C of just the 0 and 60 degree responses:

Name:	pTeDUnl.png
Views:	158
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	934998

Going back to the first post, I think I've met the criteria for this first design: intended to mate with a 12-15cm woofer at @2.5khz, with the difference between 0 and 60 degrees off axis at the crossover being about 3.5dB. Looking just at the on axis response, the tweeter has a natural bump around 5khz, and the waveguide makes the top octave wiggle a bit. Moving off axis the response quickly becomes smooth and straight. The phase shield looks best, but even without it these ellipticals look pretty nice. Thoughts so far? Anything else I should try? If you guys agree I'm going to move on to some 8" waveguides now that it *appears* I have some best practices.
                                                                                  Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 13:48 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                                  ~Brandon 8O
                                                                                  DriverVault
                                                                                  Soma Sonus

Comment

• Zvu
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Oct 2013
                                                                                    • 434

#86
                                                                                    Lookin' great there. I'm quite intrigued how will the 8" waveguide measure since there are not many of those out there.

It would also be nice to see CSD plot... If anything changed after adding a waveguide.
                                                                                    Tesla; George Carlin;

Comment

• augerpro
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Aug 2006
                                                                                      • 1867

#87
                                                                                      Yeah 8" will be fun, and a real test of well certain design ideas scale up, or not. I'll take a look at generating CSD from my impulse response.

I'm also going to do a version that is intended for LR2. It will have to be wider than above for the same crossover, and acoustic center will be more important. If someone wants to mock up a speaker and test this out (I don't have woodworking ability right now) I can send them a waveguide for pretty cheap.

I can also do specific tweaks to the design pretty easily if someone wants to experiment. Prices are cheap right now for the waveguide, might want to take advantage while you can.

I also want to move on to Satori tweeters. They appear to attach the faceplate the same way, so it really makes it easy. If anyone has a loaner out there, let me know!

And again, if anyone finds this useful, a donation would be a huge help. I'm already well over $500 into this, can't keep up that burn rate forever, I'm not Tesla! My paypal is whippersnapper02 at yaho, even $10 here or there helps.
                                                                                      ~Brandon 8O
                                                                                      DriverVault
                                                                                      Soma Sonus

Comment

• augerpro
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • Aug 2006
                                                                                        • 1867

#88
                                                                                        Here is the C elliptical with LR4 @ 2khz acoustic response, at 0 and 40 degrees, to give you an idea:

Name:	w6bQFsn.png
Views:	153
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	934999

Here are some files if anyone wants to play with this a bit. If you're using Fusion 360 the .f3d file is the one you want. Otherwise the others are .stl's with and without phase shield, and with and without a circular flange for easier mounting. Probably easier for prototyping work. I'll make a router template when I get a chance, that would make routing the ellipse easy for those who don't know how to make a template directly from the part.

.f3d file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lxbau322t6...%20v2.f3d?dl=0

Elliptical flange, with phase shield: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oo2w1id8e6...ndard.stl?dl=0

Elliptical flange, no phase shield: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q3wa1byn4f...ndard.stl?dl=0

Circle flange, with phase shield: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rv6jbsvprz...ircle.stl?dl=0

Circle flange, no phase shield: ​https://www.dropbox.com/s/r2avxyyzxr...ircle.stl?dl=0
                                                                                        Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 13:50 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                                        ~Brandon 8O
                                                                                        DriverVault
                                                                                        Soma Sonus

Comment

• augerpro
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Aug 2006
                                                                                          • 1867

#89
                                                                                          Originally posted by augerpro
                                                                                          if anyone finds this useful, a donation would be a huge help.
                                                                                          Thanks Ed!
                                                                                          ~Brandon 8O
                                                                                          DriverVault
                                                                                          Soma Sonus

Comment

• augerpro
                                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                                            • Aug 2006
                                                                                            • 1867

#90
                                                                                            Here are some pics of the conical 80 and 100 degree waveguides from a few posts back for reference. The seam you see is where the straight cone ends and the fillet begins. They are a little different because I wanted the fillet radius to be similar:

Name:	isqFNa4.png
Views:	150
Size:	302.0 KB
ID:	935000

Name:	TSVmlRv.png
Views:	148
Size:	314.4 KB
ID:	935001
                                                                                            Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 13:51 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                                            ~Brandon 8O
                                                                                            DriverVault
                                                                                            Soma Sonus

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"