HOLMImpulse Measurements, Need step by step dummy guide.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • augerpro
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2006

Originally posted by penngray
    There was a minor point about a shunt resistor in this thread
    http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...-vs-16ohm.html
    Well that was 20 minutes of my life I'll never get back
    ~Brandon 8O
    Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
    Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
    DriverVault
    Soma Sonus

Comment

• penngray
      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by augerpro
      Well that was 20 minutes of my life I'll never get back

lmao

Does my Lpad circuit with is 4.7Ohm in parallel play a role in changing the impedance? I never measured if it did.

Comment

• Saurav
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

Oh, forgot you had an L-pad. Yep, that will definitely be changing the impedance, and flattening it out too (because of the parallel component).

If you measure with the L-pad, you'll have a quick visual of the effect. The parallel leg of the L-pad will flatten the driver's impedance peaks, then the series leg will just add on to everything.

Comment

• coctostan
          • Nov 2006

From what I've gathered, a shunt resistor should have no positive effect in an active system with a decent SS amp. It is primarily useful for passive networks and some tube amps. Whether it has an audible negative effect is debatable.

It shouldn't be difficult to try back to back to see if an effect is heard.

Also, why are you using an L-pad on an active system? You should have enough control with the DCX, right?

Concerning the polars, for which xover settings and drivers were those measurements taken?

Comment

• penngray
            • Sep 2007

Originally posted by coctostan
            From what I've gathered, a shunt resistor should have no positive effect in an active system with a decent SS amp. It is primarily useful for passive networks and some tube amps. Whether it has an audible negative effect is debatable.

It shouldn't be difficult to try back to back to see if an effect is heard.

Also, why are you using an L-pad on an active system? You should have enough control with the DCX, right?
            Im using the Lpad to lower hiss of the CD. The DCX can not do this since the CD has a hiss (57dB at the 1") even with the amps and no DCX. The LPAD drops it 10dB, its more of a "That hiss annoys me" thing. It was the same with my Ribbon designs. I know that when I play any music the hiss isnt there but you hear in between songs.

Concerning the polars, for which xover settings and drivers were those measurements taken?
            The polars are using the 1200Hz xover settings with the Celestion 1425 CD and TD12M woofer.

This one:

DIY (Do it yourself): Cabinetry, speakers, subwoofers, crossovers, measurements. Jon and Thomas have probably designed and built as many speakers as any non-professionals. Who are we kidding? They are pros, they just don't do it for a living. This has got to be one of the most advanced places on the net to talk speaker building, period.
            Last edited by theSven; 04 May 2023, 17:23 Thursday. Reason: Update htguide url

Comment

• Saurav
              Super Senior Member
              • Dec 2004

1200 or 1500? I don't remember doing a 1200 with the 1425.

Edit: OK, saw your edit, I think that was the 1500.

Comment

• coctostan
                • Nov 2006

That makes sense about the hiss.

Any chance to take measurements with the BMS?

Comment

• penngray
                  • Sep 2007

Originally posted by coctostan
                  That makes sense about the hiss.

Any chance to take measurements with the BMS?

Yes, I wan to try and get them done by tomorrow night.

The BMS is the one Im more excited about since the SQ should be higher.

Im also going to try and get the 1745 (big brother to th 1425) worked into this project. Its low cost too and it performs better below 2KHz then the 1425.

On AVSForums we did a simple 2.2 uF cap in series and man does it flatten out the CD, with one hump left around 4.7K Hz. Im thinking about changing some XO stuff to match what Zilch has been offering over there.

The Lpad, flatttens the Impedance and phase pretty good too so things are definitely interesting/confusing for me now.

More to come....This project is far from over for me.

Comment

• penngray
                    • Sep 2007

I have decided to create an actual build thread ( I will copy over all important crossover info). The point of this thread was to learn how to use HOLM properly, It was a great success along with actually learning ARTA.

Thanks guys, I have learned more in a month then I have in 3 years of speaker building.
                    Last edited by penngray; 31 March 2010, 15:07 Wednesday.

Comment

• penngray
                      • Sep 2007

My speaker XO build will continue here

DIY (Do it yourself): Cabinetry, speakers, subwoofers, crossovers, measurements. Jon and Thomas have probably designed and built as many speakers as any non-professionals. Who are we kidding? They are pros, they just don't do it for a living. This has got to be one of the most advanced places on the net to talk speaker building, period.
                      Last edited by theSven; 04 May 2023, 17:23 Thursday. Reason: Update htguide url

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"