X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • augerpro
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2006

TangBand 75-1558SE on a Waveguide with Measurements

So I bought a pair of these a few months ago because I was going to redesign my Delphi and wanted to use a more robust mid dome. I had a feeling these would be good performers and if you've seen Zaph's recent measurements they are really incredible dome mids. Two problems with them though, the AC is too far forward and it has a dip around 2khz. My hope is that by putting it a waveguide similar to the legendary ATC dome mid we can cure at least the first problem, and possibly the second.

The waveguide is basically a truncated 1 1/4" roundover. I got the bit at mlcs I think. This should be very similar to the ATC roundover. Now the ATC waveguide actually ends on the outside of the surround, but I opted to bring it in closer to the dome similar to the Morel MDM55 and Seas T25CF001 I used for guidance. This is possible because, unlike the ATC, the TB uses an inverted surround. But with 1.5mm xmax and the little VC leads we do still have to be careful.

The following is teh step by step method I used to make the waveguide. I can't just give you the measurements because this is a truncated roundover, so the process was somewhat iterative. It took 3 mock-ups to get to the final design. This is sort of the perfectionist design. I'll give a brief description of an easier design that may or may not be as good. Overall diameter is 5 1/2" inches and the dome top is just flush with the baffle plane.

First this is based on a baffle 1 1/2" thick. Just two 3/4" MDF sheets glued together. Pretty typical for a front baffle. I will be using the backside of the baffle to drill our hole for the Jasper jig since everything is referenced to the backside and the roundover bit bearing will ride on this part of the baffle. If you drilled the hole from the front it may wonder a 1/16" and really screw the whole thing up.

1) We'll make three cuts 3/4" deep at 5 9/16", 5 1/16", and 4 9/16". It should like this when done:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture001.webp
Views:	174
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	942608

2) Next I made another 3/4" deep pass at 3 1/16" like this:

Name:	Picture002.webp
Views:	131
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	942609

The 1/2" or so strip in between the grooves will be routed down at the very end. We need this for now so the roundover bit bearing has something to ride on.

3) Now I flipped the baffle over and cut a matching 3/4" deep groove at 3 1/16" and removed the center plug:

Name:	Picture004.webp
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	942610

4) This front cut may not have matched the back cut due to the slight wander when we drilled the pilot hole. No worries though as the front will be routed away. Which we do next:

Name:	Picture005.webp
Views:	130
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	942611

5) Now that we don't need the guide for the router bit we can route down that strip in the second picture. But not all the way. This is where the perfectionist part comes in. I left it about 1/8" higher than the three cuts made for the driver flange:

Name:	Picture006.webp
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	942612

6) Then I took a marker and marked a roughly 1/8" (at most) line around the strip. I then routed the rest of the strip flush with flange cut, leaving the black marked portion behind:

Name:	Picture007.webp
Views:	134
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	942613

Name:	Picture008.webp
Views:	132
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	942614

7) I put some gasket tape on the driver:

Name:	Picture009.webp
Views:	135
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	942615

8) And mounted it on the baffle:

Name:	Picture014.webp
Views:	129
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	942616

Name:	Picture015.webp
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	942617

Now the black strip is there so that the edge of the waveguide is closer to the base of the dome, about where to where the surround attaches to the dome. The less perfectionist way would be to cut a 3" circle in step 2 and 3. In step 5 route the strip flush with rest of the flange cut and call it good.

Measurements to follow.
    Last edited by theSven; 24 June 2023, 20:50 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
    ~Brandon 8O
    Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
    Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
    DriverVault
    Soma Sonus
  • augerpro
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2006

And here are the measurements. Pretty discouraging and not what I expected at all. First, flat baffle at 0, 20, 40 degrees:

Name:	Flatbaffle_sample1_powerresponse.webp
Views:	127
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	942618

WG baffle at 0, 20, 40 degrees:

Name:	WGbaffle_sample1_powerresponse.webp
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	942619

Flat versus WB on axis:

Name:	FlatversusWG_sample1_onaxis.webp
Views:	125
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	942620

Flat versus WG 20 degrees off axis:

Name:	FlatversusWG_sample1_20offaxiss.webp
Views:	127
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	942621

Flat versus WG 40 degrees off axis:

Name:	FlatversusWG_sample1_40offaxiss.webp
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	942622

Also sample 2 Flat baffle 0, 20, 40 and WG 0, 20, 40:

Name:	Flatbaffle_sample2_powerresponse.webp
Views:	124
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	942623

Name:	WGbaffle_sample2_powerresponse.webp
Views:	126
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	942624

I tried a 1 inch piece of closed cell foam stuck to the tip of the dome and it did nothing. Adding an adhoc phase shield did this:

Name:	phaseshield_sample2_onaxis.webp
Views:	129
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	942625 Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture.webp
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	942626

Surprising amount of gain from under 1khz to 3khz before everything goes to hell. Didn't expect that just like I didn't expect the big dip at 3.8khz either. 3khz wavelength is 3.5" so I wonder what is reflecting where? So I'm not sure where to go from here. Maybe a shallower WG, or maybe keep the edge of the waveguide to just outside the surround like ATC. I was hoping to move the AC back AND help the response off axis, but now I'll settle for anything that can move teh AC without jacking up the response too much. Any ideas?
    Last edited by theSven; 24 June 2023, 20:54 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
    ~Brandon 8O
    DriverVault
    Soma Sonus

Comment

• minkuni
      • Feb 2008

That looks beautiful - looking forward to seeing the measurements (comparing the waveguide to a normal flat baffle). What kind of router are you using for that bit? Sounds big and scary 8O
      Hail to Slay Radio baby!

Comment

• fjhuerta
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2006

1.5 mm Xmax... Wow. The W3-1335sb woofer I'm using for my project has 0.5 mm!
        Javier Huerta

Comment

• augerpro
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2006

Measurements added to post 2
          ~Brandon 8O
          DriverVault
          Soma Sonus

Comment

• ---k---
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2005

Brandon,
            That is disappointing. Based on Dan's testing, I was expecting better. Maybe, like you said a shallower angle. I just don't think a router bit exists for that.
            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• augerpro
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2006

Yeah I'm going to do some experimenting. Probably going to have to wait until after driver testing though, so that's like July. I do have confidence a good design can be had, afterall this isn't the only time a 3" dome mid has been stuck in some sort of waveguide.
              ~Brandon 8O
              DriverVault
              Soma Sonus

Comment

• BOBinGA
                • Mar 2009

3.5" is half the circumference of the dome. In other words, its the distance from one side and over the peak of the dome to the other side. But a 3800 hz tone should be in phase with a similar wave from the other side of the dome which would cause a peak - not a dip. Hmmm.... Seems counter intuitive.
                -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
                My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
                The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

• ---k---
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2005

If I had money to burn, it would be fun to have a bunch of custom router bits made. This site will do them for $168/ea:
                  - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                  CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                  CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• ch83575
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by BOBinGA
                    3.5" is half the circumference of the dome. In other words, its the distance from one side and over the peak of the dome to the other side. But a 3800 hz tone should be in phase with a similar wave from the other side of the dome which would cause a peak - not a dip. Hmmm.... Seems counter intuitive.
                    I was really excited to see the results... but not every experiment can be a success. I wonder if perhaps the dip is the output from the surround being masked, not the output canceling. It seems a very large change to be attributed to the surround, but maybe. It does look like you might have fixed the dip @ 1500, so if you get the new (slightly bigger :W ) dip sorted this should be a great design.

I sure would love to see some diy ATC clones, I am really fond of those speakers.

-Chad

Comment

• dlneubec
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006

I think Brandon is on the right track here. It is simply the first step. This is a pretty good step I think. The dip at 1.5khz is gone and you have a boost by as much as 4db or so. When equalized out in the crossover, that might reduce distortion and maybe increase how hard you can push it at the low end before excursion limits are reached. On top of that, you have moved the AC back, which was one of the main goals.

I suspect with some more experimentation, he will improve upon this result. I've wanted to try a midrange in a DIY waveguide since I did my tweeter experiments but have not had a chance and I'm encouraged by the results so far. :T

I'd also like to try a shallow DIY waveguide experiment with a ribbon or planar tweeter to see if it might improve their low end performance while also moving the AC back for alignment purposes.
                      Dan N.

Comment

• JonP
                        • Apr 2006

Interesting... Yeah, I'd say you probably need more waveguide, though that may not directly fix the dip.

When I did my bit of experimenting with router created waveguides, my plan was make a curved section to go from the plate and dome out to where it would match a 45 deg angle. Then, use a 45 deg chamfer bit to continue the waveguide in another layer of board. I found that using some 5/8" Baltic Birch, a partial depth with 3/4" roundover would give a perfect curve to a 45 deg face in the next layer. Turned out to be kind of tricky to make the 45 part, careful measurement required to get the inner hole the right size. But, when right, it was a very smooth transition. I figured I could keep adding wider 45deg layers of 3/4" baffle, for bigger waveguides. Figured it might be just the thing to make a 27TDFC be happy with a RS225 after the baffles that Zaph milled down dissappeared from the market... Then they re-appeared, then procrastination, and work got buiser... ops: and now what do I have to say for myself... :roll:

This was my inspiration:
                        Quadratic Waveguide paper

Name:	Hornstack2.webp
Views:	122
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	942627

Apologies for the ginormous picture...
                        Last edited by theSven; 24 June 2023, 20:55 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• augerpro
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Aug 2006

So finally had some time to try out some new waveguides. Made an improvement, but still nothing usable. This is getting to be a tough nut to crack. Just to recap the first waveguide was basically a 1" roundover, but truncated as the baffle was only 3/4" thick, and it terminated quite close to the dome where it meets the surround.

First I tried to add a 3/8" spacer on WG1 just to see what increasing depth would do. Here is the original WG1 (red) versus the deeper WG1 (green):

Name:	WG1redversusWG1deepgreen.webp
Views:	120
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	942628

Interesting but not an improvement. Next is WG2 which is a simple 3/4" roundover, again 3/4" deep (so a full roundover), but a larger throat terminating near the outside of the surround instead of near the inside. Red is a the stock driver and green is waveguide 2:

Name:	FlatredversusWG2green.webp
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	942629

Finally getting somewhere! Now I thought I'd try a 45 degree chamfer instead of a roundover. I just reused this waveguide which means the chamfer is not full depth since I needed to leave a little edge for the bearing to ride on. Original roundover in red and chamfer in green:

Name:	WG2redversusWG3green.webp
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	942630

Meh, not much change, maybe a slight improvement. One thing that bothered me about all these is that since the driver flange is not flat, there is an 1/8" gap between the baffle and the area by the surround underneath where the throat terminates. I geeked out in the first waveguide trying to leave that little 1/8" overhang to help this but its effect was swamped by the poor waveguide. For the hell of it just added some tape around the inside of the mouth so the waveguide would sort extend deeper almost touching the surround. Here is what that did:

Name:	WG3redversusWG3tapedgreen.webp
Views:	121
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	942631

So this means doing it right either involves making the little PITA overhang, or removing the driver flange so the baffle edge/ throat termination ends as close to the surround as possible. Which I'm a bit hesitant to do since it looks glued and screwed on, and may hold down the diaphragm.

So I have one blank baffle insert to try something new, what do you guys think? Moving the waveguide wall away from the diaphragm has seemed to help. Strange though...I didn't think it would actually raise the dip frequency as the distance from the wall to the dome got longer. I like the chamfer, as it's a small improvement and if would probably be a hair better if it was the full 3/4" deep instead being about 5/8" deep. Maybe an even wider throat? And an overhang to get the termination close to the surround?
                          Last edited by theSven; 24 June 2023, 20:57 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
                          ~Brandon 8O
                          DriverVault
                          Soma Sonus

Comment

• EdL
                            • Apr 2005

Brandon,
                            Do you have the excel-based OS waveguide worksheet?
                            The entry angle can be set...45 degress or whatever.
                            The depth of the guide can be set...3/4",...1 1/8"...
                            and the roundover to baffle can be chosen.

This may help reduce the iterative aspect of getting to where you want to go next. I'll be glad to get the worksheet to you.
                            Ed

Comment

• dlneubec
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Jan 2006

Hey Ed, send me a copy of that when you get a chance, would you?
                              Dan N.

Comment

• dlneubec
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jan 2006

Brandon,

I've posted my thoughts over on the PR forum. One thing I didn't mention is that I noticed that the peak at 8khz in the flush measurement actually appears to be down 1-1.5db in you last iteration. originally it is 3-4db up from the response, now it is maybe 1db below the response. That's a nice side benefit. :T
                                Dan N.

Comment

• augerpro
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Aug 2006

Dan at his point the WG si doing everything I wanted it to do-other than the dip. But I really don't need or want to get rid of it. As you said it may work to acoustically notch out the peak so at this point I'm looking for the design that just pushes it up in frequency-out of the passband and into that peak. Ah I could be so fortunate...

Ed I have your worksheet but I don't remember it showing predicted response so I'm not sure how it would help for this project? Maybe I'm missing something? Nice worksheet BTW!
                                  ~Brandon 8O
                                  DriverVault
                                  Soma Sonus

Comment

• augerpro
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Aug 2006

Tried Dan's idea of using some foam strip to fill the gap between the driver flange and underside of the baffle. This is with the third iteration of the waveguide, green is with the foam:

Name:	WG3redversusWG3withfoamgreen.webp
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	942632

I think we're almost there Looks like the little overhang (and some foam for good measure?) that I showed in the walkthrough of the first post is required. Kind of a PITA but if I can do it anyone can. My woodworking skills are pretty weak. The good thing with all this experimenting is finding out that many typical methods do not work at all. Should prevent someone else the headache of wasted attempts with this driver in the future.
                                    Last edited by theSven; 24 June 2023, 20:57 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
                                    ~Brandon 8O
                                    DriverVault
                                    Soma Sonus

Comment

• dlneubec
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Jan 2006

That certainly looks workable as it is. If you can figure out what adjustment to make to move the dip up a little higher, that would be better yet, but it looks darn good now. Maybe a second order electical with a little notch on the peak at 8khz and I bet it would look good out to 3khz or so. What do the off axis look like?

If you get a chance, do a flush mount and waveguide mount CSD and HD plots. That is one thing I didn't do that I wish I had on the Peerless HDS in the BaSSlines. I'd really like to see how the waveguide effects these. Also, what happens to the distortino level after the crossover is in place. On the HDS tweeter response, I got about a 5db increase centered around 3-4khz with a downward slope from there (see below) and speculated that when that was attenuated out in the crossover to make it flat, that distortion levels might also drop accordingly, but have no proof of that. This sure looks better than that 8CXT CD, don't you think? :W

Peerless HDS tweetr in a 3/4" deep WG, 3/4" roundover, 1-5/16" dia. throat @ 0-15-30-45-60 off axis

Name:	hds_three-fourthsWG_1m_4ms-0-15-30-.gif
Views:	122
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	942633
                                      Last edited by theSven; 24 June 2023, 20:58 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
                                      Dan N.

Comment

• augerpro
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Aug 2006

I don't think I'm far from the solution. I'm encouraged. I do have an offaxis I'll have to plot. Didn't do CSD's but just from looking at the impulse response you can clearly see the reflection that causes the dip. I'll plot that stuff later today and see what it looks like.

As for the 8CXT yeah I was hoping for more. Of course one could argue that the your HDS waveguide did not gain much directivity on the low end where the crossover is (the main point to using DI devices) and is doing that line crossing around 2-3khz, both right in the ear's most sensitive area. Here the 8CXT is an improvement. But it won't be me making that argument as I don't know if I believe it myself The HDS is certainly smoother overall. I just don't know where the real priority should lay as far as the ear is concerned. Many large sins it forgives, but some small ones it does not. I would like to hear both for the experience if nothing else. I don't think either of us can really predict how it will sound in the end.
                                        ~Brandon 8O
                                        DriverVault
                                        Soma Sonus

Comment

• tpsorin
                                          • Apr 2009

The waveguide is too small for a midrange. I think it will work with a 3/4" tweeter. My guess is that you will need >20cm waveguide.

See:

Comment

• augerpro
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Aug 2006

I'm not actually trying to make a "proper" waveguide for this. I'm simply trying to move the AC back, smooth the response (especially the dip around 2khz), and last on the list is gain and directivity.
                                            ~Brandon 8O
                                            DriverVault
                                            Soma Sonus

Comment

• cjd
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Dec 2004

Is that dip from reflections at the base of the throat? I'm assuming it is, and wondering what would happen if you "corrugated" the portion of the throat closest to the driver. Yeah, I'm a sucker for punishing concepts - drilling a circle of holes - way, 1/4" spaced 5/8" apart around the circumfrence of your intended internal diameter (so they go 1/8" deeper) might not be too bad to do and may at least tell you if there's any remote merit to the concept. Or someone can just tell me it's a bad idea up front
                                              diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• tpsorin
                                                • Apr 2009

Originally posted by augerpro
                                                I'm not actually trying to make a "proper" waveguide for this. I'm simply trying to move the AC back, smooth the response (especially the dip around 2khz), and last on the list is gain and directivity.
                                                The dip looks only 1-2dB. A 6" wide baffle will have a peak around 1.5-1.8 kHz. It shall be enough to get rid of the peak.

Comment

• augerpro
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Aug 2006

Curt the throat interface certainly has a large impact on the dip. I like your idea but your right, that does sound tedious but maybe worth looking at just for kicks.
                                                  ~Brandon 8O
                                                  DriverVault
                                                  Soma Sonus

Comment

• cjd
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • Dec 2004

Originally posted by augerpro
                                                    Curt the throat interface certainly has a large impact on the dip. I like your idea but your right, that does sound tedious but maybe worth looking at just for kicks.
                                                    Curt? He's the other "C" - as I've not seen him respond here I suspect you're talking to me?

Comment

• augerpro
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Aug 2006

Sorry Chris
                                                      ~Brandon 8O
                                                      DriverVault
                                                      Soma Sonus

Comment

• cjd
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • Dec 2004

No worries. i've been called far worse.

Comment

Working...
                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                        Search Result for "|||"