X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Al Garay
    • Jan 2004

Metal reinforcement for midrange drivers

Curious what you think about the benefits of using metal bracket to support and isolate a midrange driver from the baffle like SL has done with his Orion update?

About $20 in parts. Nice profit on the kit.

Notice how the bracket is mounted on the woofer enclosure. Could this muddy up the H-frame?

Al
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

A couple years ago when Jon and I first started posting about the baffle for the Arvo project, we talked about what we saw were potential issues with the Orion baffle. Several people told us that it wasn't a problem, and that SL had addressed this with his design.............

That being said floating the drivers 'free' of the baffle is a good idea, IF the woofer section doesn't shake the midwoofer support bracket

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Davey
      • Jan 2003

Al,

We were discussing this subject some in an earlier thread:

Anyone know how SL mounts the W22 onto/into the wood block that is attached to the metal bracket? I'm building a dipole and would like to mount the midwoofers by their magnets, so that they don't actually touch the front baffle. I'd rather stay away from gluing the magnet assembly into a wood block if possible. Maybe some sort

Ron had an interesting idea for grabbing the midrange driver.

Thomas,

SL said he "investigated" this with his current designs and decided that it wasn't a problem with audible consequences. Now it seems he's backed off that conclusion somewhat.
      He did do some accelerometer testing on the Orion baffle/cabinet and noted some interesting things, but I believe "correcting" these was lowish on his priority list.
      If a DIY'er has the belief that baffle vibrations of any kind are a terrible evil that must be exorcised at all costs then the Linkwitz designs would not be for them.

My Orion's have noticeable vibrations from woofer coupling to the midrange and midrange coupling into the woofer portion, but I'll be darned if I can attribute any audible consequences to these since I built the further system with mid/tweet panels physically separated from the woofers and they don't sound any better/worse.

Cheers,

Davey.
      Last edited by theSven; 03 September 2023, 12:12 Sunday. Reason: Update url

Comment

• Al Garay
        • Jan 2004

Thanks for the link Davey. I'm going to have to read it a few times to understand Ron's idea.

Al

Comment

• Davey
          • Jan 2003

SL has posted some further information on his website regarding panel/driver vibrations and mounting schemes:

Davey.

Comment

• RonS
            • Jul 2004

post deleted, rethinking again.

As Davey mentioned, I'm doing some work along these lines for my dipole speaker.

Comment

• RonS
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Davey
              SL has posted some further information on his website regarding panel/driver vibrations and mounting schemes:

Davey.
              Seems that SLs work has verified my thoughts - mount the driver by it's magnet and no vibrations will be transfered to the baffle (or very little?).

Comment

• RonS
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Al Garay
                Thanks for the link Davey. I'm going to have to read it a few times to understand Ron's idea.

Al
                Al, if you have any questions, feel free to ask here or email me. I hope to have some photos of the idea soon, but have to wait for my Jasper Jig to come back (loaned it out to a friend). I need to machine the donuts.

I hope to do some accelerometer measurements to test my method, just have to get an accelerometer first.

Ron

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"