X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BrianJD
    • Jun 2004

NORTH D28-06S tweeter

"NORTH D28-06S 28mm Silk Dome Tweeter - a 1" silk dome designed by George Short, also a North Acoustics exclusive. The D28 is unique in that it is the only tweeter in the world to incorporate a Faraday Sleeve into its motor structure, resulting in the lowest distortion ever measured in a dome tweeter. 1mm peak-peak excursion, a low resonance, high power handling, and 92dB sensitivity. "
    $140./matched pair
    Click now and see best headphones, headsets and earbuds in 2024 . Our expert authors review top headphones, headsets and earbuds.

This seems like it may be a very good tweeter for a good price.
    Has anybody had any experience with it?
    I may use it with some PHL 1340s I have, also thinking that it might be a good match with the Extremis 6 as well.
    Any opinions?

Thanks
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Interesting design- seems to combine some of the best qualities of the lower line Seas Excel tweeter and Scanspeak soft domes. 28 mm will result in a somewhat narrower dispersion in the very high frequencies, but this looks like a robust part, adaptable to many design requirements- in fact, with an adjustment for level sensitivity and slightly different LF zobel, it would probably work well in the M8 MKIV speaker or the Arvo Part, as this is also a four ohm tweeter. That's where part of the sensitivity comes from.

Thanks for bringing our attention to this. I buy some crossover coils from George, but haven't looked at his tweeter offerings; this one's been delayed a while, if I remember correctly.

Now, just to speculate, I bet you could make a pretty nice MTM with this tweeter and the Adire Extremis mid woofer, hmmmmm?

~Jon
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• BrianJD
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by JonMarsh
      Interesting design- seems to combine some of the best qualities of the lower line Seas Excel tweeter and Scanspeak soft domes.
      Pure speculation on my part but I think its a modified Usher 9950.

Originally posted by JonMarsh
      but this looks like a robust part, adaptable to many design requirements- in fact, with an adjustment for level sensitivity and slightly different LF zobel, it would probably work well in the M8 MKIV speaker or the Arvo Part, as this is also a four ohm tweeter. That's where part of the sensitivity comes from.

Now, just to speculate, I bet you could make a pretty nice MTM with this tweeter and the Adire Extremis mid woofer, hmmmmm?
      I'm gonna order a pair.

I realize this would probably be at the bottom of your 'to do' list, but
      if you'd like, I can send them to you for testing in your designs.
      I wont be ready to use them for awhile.
      If it works out, I'd like to try it in the M8 MKV :lol: speaker.

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

If you have any way to test frequency response and impedance, I can use that data for crossover design. Otherwise, if you'd like, I can test them- probably no sooner than the 2nd half of October, as I'm going to Singapore on business the end of next week.

They seem like a good value, considering the construction quality, design features, and price. I have some Peerless HDS woofers I've been planning a small two way for a friend; these would undoubtedly be very nice in that system, also.

Regards,

Jon -

- in Houston tonight, Minneapolis tomorrow night, and Indianapolis after that!
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Obi-Wan
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hank
          Super Senior Member
          • Jul 2002

Jon, I NEED to SCUBA in the Caribbean or I'm going to go over the edge with this job responsibility crap. Just transfer a pile of frequent flyer miles to me - you'll never miss 'em. :W

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Hank
            Jon, I NEED to SCUBA in the Caribbean or I'm going to go over the edge with this job responsibility crap. Just transfer a pile of frequent flyer miles to me - you'll never miss 'em. :W

Uhh, Hank, what was that Frequent flyer account #, on which airline?

I feel the same way about getting out to Colorado, but have about the same luck.... :cry:

~Jon
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Obi-Wan
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• RogueAngel
              • Jun 2002

Well, I've been using a pair since May of this year and they continue to impress with an open natural sound with great imaging.

Pictures can be seen here: Gabrielle

Comment

• Hank
                Super Senior Member
                • Jul 2002

Hmmm...could these possibly lure the Poohbah's away from their "only metal domes will do" thing?

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

My understanding is that Jon will have a couple for testing purposes. From George's published info these appear to be very good tweeters

However, we like the 'sound' of metal domes too much to switch......:wink:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Ten 99
                    • Apr 2004

I used to think that metal domes sucked, because most of them I had heard were very harsh and bright. I have since heard a few of the nicer ones out there, and I have to agree that they can be VERY nice without being fatiguing and shrill. Of course a lot of this can have to do with the x-over as well. I think that my ears have grown a lot (dumbo eh?) with regards to what sound CAN be like, versus what I grew up thinking it was supposed to be like. I still prefer the average soft dome to the average metal, but there's something to be said for the higher end metal. I have yet to hear a higher end soft dome like the millenium.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                      Mad Max Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

You know what they say about it's how you use the tool, not just the tool itself.

OTOH, a bad metal dome tweeter (some cheap ones I tried once from MCM) can be REALLY BAD, in the sense of high Q resonances, whilest a similarly bad soft dome tweeter will just be mushy and fizzy, maybe not as annoying to some folks.

The ss9800 doesn't display the typical metal dome "vices", unless you pair it with some poor electronics- it is both a bit more tranparent and smoothin the presence region (IMO), and sweeter in the top, than say, a Focal TC90 or 120. Lower distortion? I think so- the Focal is really optimized for high efficiency and response above 2 kHz. Most of the best tweeters I like have more Xmax, and smoother down below 1 kHz.

~Jon

Greetings from Singapore
                      the AudioWorx
                      Natalie P
                      M8ta
                      Modula Neo DCC
                      Modula MT XE
                      Modula Xtreme
                      Isiris
                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                      Minerva Monitor
                      Calliope
                      Ardent D

In Development...
                      Obi-Wan
                      Modula PWB
                      Calliope CC Supreme
                      Natalie P Ultra
                      Natalie P Supreme
                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                        Mad Max Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

OK, I'm clearly going to have a busy weekend coming up- besides the Dayton RS225-8's, I've got a pair of NorthCreek D28's now, to take a look at- on loan from Brian, while he moves cross country. Another set is in route for further investigations, and Mark K has agreed to do some linear and non-linear distortion measurements with Praxis.

~Jon
                        the AudioWorx
                        Natalie P
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo DCC
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Obi-Wan
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme
                        Natalie P Ultra
                        Natalie P Supreme
                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"