The new Dayton 8" may be the value solution for a line array, but...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hank
    Super Senior Member
    • Jul 2002

The new Dayton 8" may be the value solution for a line array, but...

this new Adire 6" may be the ne plus ultra premium puppy: http://www.adireaudio.com/TextPages/...eFrameText.htm
    13mm one-way Xmax, and LOOK at the lower and upper extension :E This could be crossed over to an RD50 high enough to keep all mid/upper base freqs out of the ribbon.
    With that Xmax, maybe 5 per side would be sufficient - maybe 4?
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Hiya Hank!

Back from another week on the road...

The driver construction is quite interesting, especially the small motor assembly and minimal rear shadow to the cone... the FR is promising, but the Impedance curve shows a strange discontinuity starting at 500 Hz and ending at 1 kHz. Measurement artefact? Surround vibration? (They're using doping on the inner edge of the surround) Cone mode? Hard to say, without doing some true "nearfield" work, i.e., 1 inch distant scans at cone center, edge, and mid between. Regardless of the claims for usable response to 3 kHz, I'd still be inclined to keep the crossover no higher than 600 Hz or so, unless I can really see a good explanation for the published "glitches".

For a "conventional" cone six, the best I've seen so far (for cone behavior) is the Peerless HDS without the phase plug. But they don't have the Xmax or right Qts for dipole, either.

The inductive rise is low, but that just means they're using more current to keep the drive level up and get the upper end response. I'm surprised that the relatively small surround supports a 13 mm Xmax, but then maybe this is more like a 7" driver than a six- didn't see published dimensions.

I think it's time to do some "back of the napkin" calculations re directivity, swept area, etc, for some of these possible solutions.

4 TC2+
    6 Dayton 8"
    8 Extremis 6"

Thinking in terms of directivity, the TC2+ will be just as good at 600 Hz as the M8a are at 1200 Hz (re radiating diaphragm size versus wavelength), so the 12's aren't ruled out there. Dispersion beyond that is pointless, given the dipole cancellation. And the M8a's hold up to 60 degrees off axis at 1200 Hz.

The six's would probably allow a much tidier baffle design, but I'm pretty sure, even with the long Xmax, they aren't going to move as much aire- but maybe enough?

Normally I wouldn't consider a 6" for dipole, due to swept volume limitations, but with this Xmax, it may bet by that. Plus, I really do like the small motor shadow for a dipole.

Hmmmmmmm. I'm still thinking 8 of these might be nice for a dipole line array. But it's a risky pre-order bet to save $20 per driver; the deal on the DPL12's was a little bit sweeter....

Qts is pretty ideal for a ported box, but not in the right range for sealed or dipole.

After I get some of my "napkin" calculations done, including price, I'll report back...

~Jon
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

but the Impedance curve shows a strange discontinuity starting at 500 Hz and ending at 1 kHz. Measurement artefact? Surround vibration?
      I ask Dan Wiggins about this, his reply was......

The bend at ~600 Hz shows the starting impact of the copper in the motor. It's not a glitch, but a transition in the impedance from the start of the inductance reduction of the copper on the pole.
      The glitch at 1 kHz is a slight reflection off the spider/basket - can't get that one any smaller. It's pretty minimal though, and doesn't show up in the frequency response really.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Mark K
        • Feb 2002

Hi Guys,

I'd be happy to look at this driver and see if it performs well compared with the Dayton, other, more conventional 8"s, and maybe even a good quality 10", like the L26. I may buy one, but really, at this point I'm tired of buying stuff that I'll probably never get to.

Anyone want to preorder and send it to me???

PS Sorry we missed you at the NC DIY last Saturday. I was going to give you the hales tweeters!

My speaker pages
        www.audioheuristics.org

Comment

• Mark K
          • Feb 2002

Jeez, still a junior member...so humiliating...
          www.audioheuristics.org

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Hi Mark,

You're pretty senior in my eyes, you've done some great driver measurements this year!

But don't be in any hurry to grow up- the Senior citizen discount isn't all it's cracked up to be....

Well, your post here is very timely, because I was planing on emailing you today to ask if you'd measure one of these if I bought some...

The sixty four dollar question is, should I buy more than a few? Lord only knows I can do SOME kind of design with it.... (imagine a ported MTM with a Millenium Excel tweeter crossed over about 1500 Hz?)

So, I'll check my piggy bank this weekend and make a decision about how many to order... and I'll send one to you as soon as I get it. I should have your address somewhere around here; if not, I'll contact you for an update.

I missed being at the DIY- my only excuse is work- this month has been a bear. I was on the road all last week, too, and will be again next week. This weekend I think I'm going to be able to avoid going into the office, but I will have to be late on one item to avoid a trip- it's only my year end review. Spent all morning on work email, still have a few more things to get out of the way.

It's hard to have much of a personal life under these conditions- my boss is getting an earful when he conducts the review, and a written, documented statement of my issues (including covering a lot for other people, who never cover for me).

Best regards,

Jon
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Obi-Wan
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Mark K
              • Feb 2002

If you want to order one and send it to me, just let me know. I can throw in the Hales when I send the driver back to you.

I think this driver could be pretty nifty in some situations, especially something like a ported or ML TQWT-since those seem to model best with larger Sd's (So a smaller, long throw woofer makes for a slimmer cabinet!!!)

I'd be curious to see if this driver really can perform like an 8" or 10". As impressed as I am with what I've heard of Adire's motor technology, it remains to be seen if the entire motor and cone can have good higher order linearity at high excursions.
              www.audioheuristics.org

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

I've been considering a "build" of MT's even, using one of the PE cabinets, for surround, so worse comes to worse, they'll be usable there.

But I really like the small motor and minimal rear "shadow"- my gut feeling says these could be pretty cool, and would certainly be lighter than some of the alternative drivers I've been considering to pair with the RD50's. It would make for a narrower, lighter main panel- perhaps combine it with a W dipole below 100 Hz, or maybe just an H or U baffle woofer with TC2+.

I'll let you know when they get in, and send you one.

~Jon
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Obi-Wan
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Ordered last night.

~Jon
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Obi-Wan
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hank
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jul 2002

But I really like the small motor and minimal rear "shadow"- my gut feeling says these could be pretty cool
                    It would make for a narrower, lighter main panel-
                    Yep, those thoughts came to mind when I read about the driver. The side view reminds me of a small TB with a very small neodymium motor. Let us know how they really sound.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                      Mad Max Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

Yup, they should be interesting. I'm going to try doing a small ported box, too, like the EM-72 I did for my duaghter last year with a relatively high excursion HiVi D6, a Dynaudio "clone". But these will have about double the Xmax.

I'm very interested in seeing unsmoothed MLS plots a 1" at center, edge, and mid to edge. Mark K will do liner and non linear distortion measurements.

Oh, you think we should LISTEN to them, too?!?

Heck, I don't even just "listen" to cables- maybe I should try that someday, to save time! But then, I always have like Stereophile better than the Absolute Sound, because John Atkinson DOES measure as well as listen.

~Jon
                      the AudioWorx
                      Natalie P
                      M8ta
                      Modula Neo DCC
                      Modula MT XE
                      Modula Xtreme
                      Isiris
                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                      Minerva Monitor
                      Calliope
                      Ardent D

In Development...
                      Obi-Wan
                      Modula PWB
                      Calliope CC Supreme
                      Natalie P Ultra
                      Natalie P Supreme
                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"