Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reet
    • Dec 2007

Atari - It means "to hit a target".

Definitely the fanciest thing I've done yet, however I've only built part of it. I've cheated a little bit on this one by purchasing the cabinets and stands second hand from another DIYer, toddw . The cabinets are beautiful curly cherry, with a very nice polished polyurethane finish. Some ceramic tiles and stuck to the inside, making a nice constrained layer and a nice dead cabinet. The stands are an interesting design, some kerf cuts and thin strips of ash are pinched against a centre support. Of course I took some inspiration to complete a new baffle.

Recently I have found and joined the local Men's Shed, which has a little hobby CNC. It's been a fun process to learn the CNC and engage with a bunch of other local woodworkers, they're a great bunch and have been very encouraging.

Having the cabinets already completed, enabled me to focus all of my efforts on creating a nice new baffle to complement them. For this project, I had always wanted to mill a waveguide right into the baffle, and that's exactly what I did here. The CNC also came in handy to cut precise curves to create the lamination pattern. I used American Cherry, and the accent is some African Mahogany left over from a previous project. The finish is Osmo Top Oil which apart from the price is fantastic finish, thanks DaveFred for the recommendation.

This cabinet was specifically designed for the Satori MW16P, and from my previous driver testing, I had wanted to use the Melodavid Be28 with it. You heard me. The Melodavid Be28 shown to be very well capable of waveguide loading without being problematic in the top octave. The tweeter has a nice flat mounting surface with the faceplate removed, so installation is simply to clamp it from behind. I squished it in place with a layer of auto sound damping goo and a few layers of craft foam.

Woodwork
    The baffle was built as two halves in a mirror image, the curved cut on CNC with a 1/8" bit, and then small 1/8" strips of mahogany were cut on the table saw, and clamped together. The two halved were then glued and clamped with the vertical strip down the middle to bring it together, then planed flat.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	30 Size:	860.0 KB ID:	953307
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	32 Size:	775.6 KB ID:	953308

The holes were then cut on the CNC, a 1/4" end mill used for the woofer and to remove the bulk of the material for the waveguide. A 1/4" round nose end mill was used to cut the waveguide profile, with 10% step over so that minimal sanding was needed to clean it up. I cut the throat of the waveguide just barely undersized so that I could sand it to the final diameter.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	31 Size:	1.07 MB ID:	953309

Only 220 grit was used for sanding to clean it up.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	30 Size:	1,022.7 KB ID:	953310

The baffle was then stuck to the cabinet with carpet tape and trimmed down to exact size.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	29 Size:	851.4 KB ID:	953311

The chamfers / facets were then cut. A simple table saw jig was used for the facets on the sides. Sanded again with 220 to roll over the sharp edges.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	16 Size:	1.05 MB ID:	953312

The cabinet had an inset frame, about 5/8". A simple frame was cut from MDF scraps that will be used for attachment with a weather stripping seal. Awkwardly screwed in from behind in the corners. The extra plywood blocks are for mounting the tweeter.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	17 Size:	639.6 KB ID:	953313

Getting some finish applied. Osmo Top Oil.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	16 Size:	769.1 KB ID:	953314

My tweeter installation method. Sandwich clamped with a layer of auto damping goo and a few layers of craft foam. Famous last words "that's not going anywhere".
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	18 Size:	743.7 KB ID:	953315
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	17 Size:	1.04 MB ID:	953316
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	16 Size:	1.79 MB ID:	953317

The downside here is that it is a hard dome tweeter with no protective grill, so keep your curious fingers out of there. I don't have kids...

One speaker fully assembled and ready for measurements.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	16 Size:	799.9 KB ID:	953318
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	16 Size:	863.1 KB ID:	953319

Next up, measurements and crossover design.

Last edited by Reet; 19 May 2024, 13:51 Sunday.
    https://discord.gg/h5SuNKDJfx
  • Reet
    • Dec 2007

The Crossover
    For this speaker, I already had a good idea of the driver performance from previous testing in a common basic cabinet here. Measurements were completed for this cabinet horizontally for the woofer, and horizontal and vertical for the tweeter, since it has an elliptical waveguide shape.

Horizontal woofer response, 15deg increments:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	225.6 KB ID:	953336

Horizontal tweeter response, 15deg increments:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	161.7 KB ID:	953337

Even though both are excellent performing drivers, the 1.5kHz dip of the Satori threw things for a bit of a loop, it took a fair bit of fine tuning to get right without requiring either lots of parts or abnormally large components. After evaluating several different circuits, I listened to the best 2 options via APO EQ (instruction here). I finally landed on the following design in my attempts to balance all aspects. This crossover keeps the crossover frequency at 2kHz where it has the best distortion performance, and provides a mild impedance load overall.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Atari var6 XO-schema-6.png
Views:	227
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	953361
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Atari var6 Six-pack.png Views:	0 Size:	369.2 KB ID:	953339

Evaluating distortion, the drivers appear to be operating in its ideal range. What distortion? The following tests where completed at 315mm disatance, with the mic placed half way between the midwoofer and the tweeter. SPL was set for 96dB at the mic, was was 4.1V from the amp.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	168.7 KB ID:	953340
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	137.5 KB ID:	953341
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	119.8 KB ID:	953342

To evaluate any potential cabinet issues, I completed nearfield measurements at 1V, presenting 108dB at the mic. Range from 100Hz and up is clear of resonances, great!

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	134.2 KB ID:	953343

Time to enjoy

Last edited by Reet; 19 May 2024, 14:39 Sunday.

Comment

• Steve Manning
      • Dec 2006

Very nice work Reet! Very cool that you have a local group of woodworkers you can work with.
      Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• Reet
        • Dec 2007

Thanks! I definitely recommend checking out your local Men's Shed and maker spaces.

Comment

• theSven
          Master of None
          • Jan 2014

WOW! The baffles are stunning and I like the interesting look of the stands too. Looking forward to the measurement and crossover design. I hope you put these to good use this summer for listening.
          Painter in training

Comment

• Reet
            • Dec 2007

Thanks Sven. It's been quite an adventure. This is the first speaker baffle I've run on the CNC apart from the simple baffle inserts from all my previous driver testing. There's a little anxiety in this, one wrong setting in the CAM software or error in set up process and the board could be ruined. I think I came out pretty lucky with this one. There are flaws of course, but I won't tell you about them, but they are there to remind you that a human was involved .

The crossover design is finalized, I'm just assembling it now over the next few days and gathering some data to present nice charts and graphs.

Comment

• Efalegalo
              • Jan 2007

Beautiful build. Did you design the waveguide?

Comment

• Reet
                • Dec 2007

Yes. I tested a couple profiles, and landed on what ultimately is a copy of Visaton WG148 squished into an elliptical shape, a bit wider and not quite as deep. It's not a perfect waveguide, but it still works well and provides a unique visual when milled into hardwood.

Comment

• Reet
                  • Dec 2007

Updated with crossover details

Comment

• duvixan
                    • Sep 2012

...and subjective listening impressions?..

Originally posted by Reet
                    the 1.5kHz dip
                    edge coating

Comment

• Reet
                      • Dec 2007

I'm not big on subjective fluff, but I can say that subjectively, the target was hit. Maybe the most detailed speaker I've ever heard. I'm listening through an nCore amp and there's a clarity here that's just uncanny. The driver size does have its limits on the low end, they really need to be paired with a subwoofer to belt out the bass, but otherwise, just excellent 👌.

Comment

• Reet
                        • Dec 2007

Trying for a few nice photos while the sun was shining in for a few minutes.

Name:	image.png
Views:	54
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	953348

Views:	48
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	953349

Views:	48
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	953350

Views:	50
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	953351

Views:	51
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	953352

Comment

• Reet
                          • Dec 2007

theSven please approve above post #12, not sure why its been flagged.

JonMarsh?
                          Last edited by Reet; 20 May 2024, 10:20 Monday. Reason: tagging mods to fix stuff

Comment

• theSven
                            theSven commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Approved. Sorry for not seeing this sooner. I had a crazy weekend and for once was actually away from keyboard.
                        • tktran
                          • Jan 2005

That’s a gorgeous design.
                          I like the colour contrasting atari motif, and by use of the facets brings a kind of synergy to the baffle.
                          As good as any of the cabinets at the recent High End Munich!
                          You really made it yours. And I bet it sounds great too.

Congratulations!

PS. Can you tell us how the facets affected the directivity for the waveguided Be28 ie. before/after

PPS. I can see a 3 way…
                          Last edited by tktran; 19 May 2024, 22:25 Sunday.

Comment

• Reet
                            • Dec 2007

Thank you Tanh, that's very kind.

I didn't do before/after with the facets on this particular baffle, so the result is what it is. In my test cabinet, I tested the Be28 in its stock form, the test cabinet is not as wide as this one however, and with just basic 1/2" roundover.

Views:	136
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	953360

In the same cabinet, I tested a waveguide which copied the Visaton WG148 profile, but squished a few mm shallower for 19mm material (WG148 is 21mm depth).

Views:	230
Size:	992.6 KB
ID:	953357

Views:	139
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	953358

Finally, this cabinet, wider, slightly different WG profile, and with facets.

Views:	136
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	953359

Comment

• duvixan
                              • Sep 2012

Wow, the NE180W, dont see them very often
                              Great drivers too, on par with the Illuminators, some say..

Comment

• Reet
                                • Dec 2007

Poor man's Illuminator .

I picked qty 8 of them up for a steal, still thinking of what I should do with them. Measurements available in my driver testing thread.

Comment

• duvixan
                                  • Sep 2012

Smth like this maybe

Name:	KEF Reference 5.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	0
ID:	953367
                                  Last edited by duvixan; 19 May 2024, 17:42 Sunday.

Comment

• Reet
                                    • Dec 2007

Maybe a bit less obtrusive looking though.

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"