X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VitekM
    • Feb 2024

Using the HiVi D8.8 speaker - help, advice, tips

Hello.
    I have a pair of HiVi D8.8 speakers and I'm thinking about how to use them meaningfully.

Click image for larger version

Name:	D8.8.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	951523

I came across the Tarkus project and its variant with HiVi on Paul Carmody's website.

The Techtalk Parts Express link provided is unfortunately not working (and the registration on the TT forum, where I primarily wanted to ask questions, does not work, sad story). Does anyone have any further information on this version of the project? I am mainly interested in the crossover diagram and the plan with the dimensions of the modified speakers. The photos show a change in the shape of the enclosure in the bass section, the use of a HiVi D6.8 as a mid-bass and a ringradiator tweeter.

I have three options in my head so far
    - the use of Modula MT (HiVi D6.8-SB Acoustics SB26STAC-C000-4) or the HiVi Swans 2.2-A kit and its extension by a third band (the above-mentioned Tarkus clone could also have followed a similar path).
    - 3 way using coaxial SICA 5.5 C 1.5 P / TangBand W4-2315 or possibly SEAS (inspired by Adterion, Driva, Minerva, Monoculus, SBS.1 …) and stick to manufacturer recommended volume.
    - buy older Dynaudio loudspeakers (Audience, Focus) and make a third band for them - an active woofer.

Nothing is decided. That's why I'm asking for your tips for a proven DIY with HiVi D8.8.

I'm from Europe. That's why, if you have shopping tips, please only from the EU. I have no reason to pay duty and taxes for imports from third countries.
  • duvixan
    • Sep 2012

I messaged mattp on TT, will keep you posted

Comment

• VitekM
      VitekM commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you.
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

This is a curious part. I've used the D6.8 before in a few systems a long, time ago. The D8.8 is described as a subwoofer, but the Xmax is listed as 7.5mm. Resonance issue with the cone do seem to preclude it as a more wide band kind of mid woofer, compared with the D6.8.

Name:	d8.8+-sm copy.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	951526

Name:	d8.8+-zm copy.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	951527

The impedance glitch at 400Hz correlates well with the irregularities in frequency response. This means energy storage and breakup of a sort in the cone/suspension/voice coil system.

Perhaps I didn't have enough coffee this AM (only one cup!) and am lacking imagination in how this would slot in to a design that originally has a 10" woofer, and a 6.5" midrange.

Now, that Peerless mid and the DX25 tweeter are still available; if I was going to revisit and tweak that design, I'd be looking at a more modern woofer design at least, if 10", the RSS265HF, which is available from European distributors, or if downsizing, the RSS210HF-4, also available. Both have a very stiff well designed cone and first breakup far above 1kHz. nearly 4kHz in the case of the RSS210HF.

Of course, you're not me, you have your own needs and goals. Since you're looking for a "proven" design, that means (to me) one that you don't have to do any development work on. The Targus employs a 2nd order crossover at 400Hz, which is pushing your luck with the D8.8, IMO. Something to be cogent of...

the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• VitekM
      • Feb 2024

Thank you for your feedback.

If I wanted to build a Tarkus and wanted to somehow modernize it, I would take your recommendation. Of course, I can choose from a sea of other DIY constructions. But I already have HiVi D8.8 speakers at home and I'm looking for a use for them.
      I assumed the dividing frequency for the D8.8 below 400 Hz. That's why I didn't even consider a solution with a dome midrange speaker.
      A verified construction is a wish, realistically I see it as a certain experimentation. But the less of it, the better at the moment.

Yes, sound is primary. I must point out that considerations for using D6.8 are also made from the point of view of "aesthetics". The D6.8 loudspeakers belong to the same series as the D.8.8 and visually match each other. We also listen with our eyes, speakers live with us. I don't want to watch something I don't like. But as I wrote. A Tarkus clone may not be the only way.

In order to at least roughly check whether or not using the D8.8 in a clone is complete nonsense, I compared the HiVi D8.8 and the Peerless SLS-P830668 in WinISD (data from the data sheets were used).

Name:	simulace.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	951552

​Green - HiVi D8.8 - 30 l, 35 Hz, bassreflex diameter 70 mm / length 262 mm - recommended by the company
      Yellow - HiVi D8.8 - 35 l, 35 Hz, bassreflex diameter 70 mm / length 176 mm
      Red - HiVi D8.8 - 50L, 35Hz, bassreflex diameter 70mm / length 137mm (100mm / 310mm) - Tarkus clone volume estimate
      Black - Peerless SLS-P830668 - 62 L, 30 Hz, bassreflex diameter 100 mm / length 342 mm - Tarkus
      The HiVi D8.8 is in the QB3 Quasi-Butterworth approximation.
      Peerless SLS-P830668 is in the C4/SC4 (Sub-)Chebyshew approximation (WinISD will primarily offer a closed baffle).

According to the technical sheets, both speakers have the same xmax - 8.3 mm and virtually identical Fs - HiVi - 32 Hz and 32.4 Hz Peerless. HiVi D8.8 is deceiving with its body. It has a diameter of 242 mm, which is practically a 10 inch speaker. But the Effective Piston Area is 0.0241 m2.

Further comparisons are possible from the technical data sheets in the attachment.
      d8.8.pdf
      SLS-P830668.pdf

I sent the speakers to be measured. And I'm curious about the differences between the published data and the measurement.

Comment

• foxes_lover
        • Mar 2018

I have this driver. It has quite different T/S values compare to manufacturer. You should make a measurement before modeling in WinISD.

Comment

• VitekM
          • Feb 2024

May I ask in what parameters and how does your speaker differ from the published data?

Yes, you are right, a more accurate simulation in WinISD will be only after a comprehensive measurement of the speakers. That's also why I sent them to be measured. And I am very curious how the actual data of my pair will differ from the published data and how the speakers will differ from each other.
          My pair is from when Swans Diva 6.1 speakers were new to the market.

A basic simulation according to the data sheet is probably better than nothing to begin with. Or not?

Comment

• foxes_lover
            • Mar 2018

Originally posted by VitekM
            May I ask in what parameters and how does your speaker differ from the published data?

Yes, you are right, a more accurate simulation in WinISD will be only after a comprehensive measurement of the speakers. That's also why I sent them to be measured. And I am very curious how the actual data of my pair will differ from the published data and how the speakers will differ from each other.
            My pair is from when Swans Diva 6.1 speakers were new to the market.

A basic simulation according to the data sheet is probably better than nothing to begin with. Or not?
            Mine Qts is 0.71, Fs is 51Hz.

Comment

• duvixan
              • Sep 2012

Ok, so in this thread

Want a second or third opinion about your speaker cabinet design or other audio related problem? Post your question or comment on the Technical Discussion Board. Hundreds of technicians, engineers, and hobbyists, nationwide read and discuss electronics related questions each week. We welcome your participation

you have the drivers used and a simulated crossover from an experienced forum member (Post #25)
              Unless mattp shows up to share more info, that's it for now...

Good luck!

Comment

• VitekM
                • Feb 2024

Thank you for your help. You have helped me a lot. I appreciate it.

Comment

• wolf_teeth
                  • Feb 2011

I helped as much as I could, but when images poof into the ether it's hard to see everything.

Comment

• VitekM
                    • Feb 2024

I've gone through the entire link as well as the dedicated thread.
                    Thanks Wolf for the link to The Apaches and the blog with The Apaches V3.

Comment

• theSven
                      Master of None
                      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by wolf_teeth
                      I helped as much as I could, but when images poof into the ether it's hard to see everything.
                      I have the forum on HTGuide setup to pull a copy of the image and keep that locally now. That way if the link for the image dies the photo will live on here at the forum. It's frustrating when you want to see an old build or look at images and they are gone into the digital abyss.
                      Painter in training

Comment

• VitekM
                        • Feb 2024

Next step.

Measured parameters of HiVi D8.8 and their comparison with available datasheets.

Name:	comparison HiVi D8.8.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	951911
                        And here is the Impedance frequency response for speakers.

Name:	HiVi D88.1 zma.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	239.5 KB
ID:	951912 Click image for larger version

Name:	HiVi D88.2 zma.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	951913

For those interested, I am attaching the Impedance frequency response in txt format.
                        HiVi_D88.1.txt
                        HiVi_D88.2.txt

This is what the result might look like.

Name:	HiVi DF.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	2.05 MB
ID:	951914
                        The dimensions of the body are based on the original Tarkus, taking into account The Apaches.
                        From measured data and after simulation in WinISD - net volume 45l / 32 Hz / -3dB – 29 Hz
                        HiVi Q1R (but instead of the HiVi Q1R, I would prefer the SB Acoustic SB26STAC) and
                        HiVi D6.8b, which are available as a kit, are used as tweeter and midbass for now.
                        I would like to divide the crossover into two parts (location – red line in the corpus).
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by VitekM; 08 April 2024, 11:32 Monday.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"