Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave Bullet
    • Jul 2007

Reflection free (or minimised) mic setup

I'd never really paid much attention to mic placement and the boom and clip that holds the microphone. When Andrew Jones suspected I had some mic related ripple in my response, I switched to a long pole boom in line with the microphone. Voila!, ripple greatly reduced. A small pointer for those who want to continuously improve their measurement capabilities. For this, I just used a piece of 32mm OD "repair" conduit. IT comes in handy 1m lengths here in good old New Zealand and split down the middle (so you can squeeze a UMIK-1 down the middle). A bit of dodgy chamferring of the end and electrical tape to hold everything securely and we have a marked improvement.

Top set = mic with clip
    Bottom set = mic with long PVC boom (length > the measurement window)

Driver in question is a SB Acoustics SB26ADC in a Visaton WG148R waveguide with stepped felt in an attempt to smooth waveguide throat to tweeter surround.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	182
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	950522
    And here is the PVC boom in question:

Views:	138
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	950523Prior mic setup:

Views:	140
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	950524​​
  • Reet
    • Dec 2007

I should do the same for my setup, as my mic is even slightly worse than the average measurement mic. I haven't been that motivated however, as I would make the same choices for crossover design with either set of measurement data above.
    https://discord.gg/h5SuNKDJfx

Comment

• Dave Bullet
      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Reet
      I should do the same for my setup, as my mic is even slightly worse than the average measurement mic. I haven't been that motivated however, as I would make the same choices for crossover design with either set of measurement data above.
      Good point about not changing the "macro" choices on a crossover, however I feel some may resort to smoothing to remove the noise created by reflection ripples and therefore mask other tuning opportunities. My goal is to get as clean a setup as possible (given environment constraints) and not use smoothed data at all in my designs (and I am not implying you do).

Comment

• tktran
        • Jan 2005

Thanks for sharing Dave.

i first learnt about this issue from Troels:

and although Reid is correct in saying that it doesn’t really affect your crossover design choices, I did what you did, to help me understand ”why do my measurement look funky?”

Another thing you may also be interested in:

Recently I had a go at building a small speaker (3L ie. 1/8 cu ft internal volume ). I had a measurement headache trying to figure out why I had an anomaly at ~500Hz.

Turns out- my baffle was too narrow. Note to self- don’t try to cram a driver with 125mm OD frame into a box only 130mm wide.
        Last edited by tktran; 12 January 2024, 07:41 Friday.

Comment

• Reet
          • Dec 2007

Early reflections are real!
          https://discord.gg/h5SuNKDJfx

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"