Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • krips
    • Sep 2007

Bordeaux - NLA?

Hi. I was looking for a good 3 way floorstander design to build and happened across the Bordeaux. After further reading I've found a couple posts that reference it being NLA or needing to be redesigned, but I see the kit for sale on speaker hardware. What's the scoop on this? Thanks.
    Sharp LC-42D64U
    TriTrix MTM (Sealed)
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

I am NOT the Bordeaux expert; it's Curt and Jim's baby- however, There was a revision made to the AST2560 tweeter, but the spec sheet was never updated. This driver was used in The Bordeaux - and the crossover had to be reworked....​ and my understanding is that more recent versions of the tweeter have changed again. This is a factor in the NLA status.

IF a build kit is offered, and if it has the OLDER/Vintage versions of the tweeter, then things may be OK. But that consideration should be checked carefully.

I've encountered similar problems myself with other drivers- for example, the original versions of the Dayton RS52AN dome midrange made in India work quite well; the Chinese versions made the last few years have what seems to be a resonance in the surround, and a serious irregularity in the frequency response. I've got about six or seven "vintage" ones on hand...

I hate it when a company loses the "recipe"
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Jim Holtz
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Exactly what Jon said. Driver issues due to manufacture changes essentially killed the design. I would recommend you take a look at our Anthology II design, which was officially released last month. Exceptional midrange clarity, detail and smoothness. Check Curt's new website for the complete design.

HTH

Jim

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"