X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • titanif
    • Oct 2023

Small Sub

Hello,
    I have built a small set of full range speakers and I now need a subwoofer for them. It's based on the HiVi B3S and they need a little help from 150hz and lower. Intended use is for light music and TV. Not a full blown, rumbling home theater, just something to replace my crappy TV speakers and listen to some background music. It will be used in a large living room, and NOT nearfield.

What are good small subs designs I could build myself? I've se a few youtube designers like Toid and Hexibase... Are they any good? I am open to any suggestions. If they are small enough, I could build 2 of them. I'm even open to a transmission line design. Anything that has a good reputation?​
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Need more info to help-
    • What's your budget?
    • Are you considering one or two? Two helps out with dealing with room acoustics and variations. If you want to go 150Hz and lower, I'd recommend two subs, one placed close to each of your mains- 150Hz is a higher crossover point compared with the usual 80Hz or 100Hz.
    • Do you already have a way to power them, or plan on plate amps? Budget?
    • 150Hz or higher would make sense with the B3S, it's normal roll off is at 100Hz, and you should crossover above that, IMO.
    • I'm not familiar with the YouTube designers you mention- how about some links if you'd like us to check them out?
    If I had to make a screaming fast suggestion for what you describe, and considering the possibility you may not have much woodworking gear, I'd consider this cabinet kit from Parts Express, and the matching 8" HO driver (designed for small enclosures), and a plate amp for each speaker.

Knock-Down MDF 0.75 ft³ Subwoofer Cabinet for Dayton Audio 8" Reference Series HOEven the easiest do-it-yourself subwoofer can turn into an arduous project; from uneven cuts, to measuring mistakes. CNC knock-down cabinets make it easy for the beginner to end up with amazing finished results without all of the time and effort necessary to perfect your woodworking skills. This cabinet is designed for speaker builders and designers who don't have access to expensive tools or a woodshop.This particular cabinet is designed specifically for the Dayton Audio 8" Reference Series High Output subwoofer, but works for any subwoofer with an overall diameter of 8-1/2" or less, and a cutout requirement of 7-3/8" or less. The sealed enclosure design creates a subwoofer system with a Qtc of 0.644 and an f3 of 40 Hz when used with the Dayton Audio RSS210HO-4 and minimal fill. Adding one pound of Acousta-Stuf will create a critically damped subwoofer system.During the CNC manufacturing process, rabbets dadoes are cut into the back panel for precise panel alignment. A unique two-piece brace adds superior rigidity without affecting the subwoofer's performance. Both side panels feature 3/4" rabbeted extensions with recesses to perfectly install the first piece of the two-part, double thick baffle.The end result is a resonance-free, sealed subwoofer cabinet that is purpose-built to extract the best performance from Dayton Audio's 8" High Output Reference Series subwoofer. All that's left to do is finish it to match your décor or paint it to stand out. When your friends ask about it, you get the pleasure of saying, "I built it myself!"Specifications: • Panel thickness: 3/4", front baffle is 1-1/2" • Panel material: Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF) • Finished net cabinet volume (subtracting the double thick baffle and bracing): 0.75 ft³ • External dimensions: 13" H x 13" W x 13.75" D • Subwoofer recess: 1/2" • Weight: 20 lbs. • Made in the U.S.A.

Dayton Audio RSS210HO-4 8" Reference Series HO Subwoofer 4 OhmThe Dayton Audio Reference Series subwoofers take the quality and performance of the much acclaimed Reference Series woofer line into the subwoofer realm. As with the rest of the Reference Series, the main focus of these subwoofers is ultra-low-distortion. Second, third, and intermodulation distortion are kept extremely low by utilizing three short-circuit paths within the motor structure. A durable aramid fiber spider and extensive venting throughout provide quiet and uniform excursion. The black anodized cone, rubber surround, and custom basket give this driver a unique, high-end look. The Dayton Audio RSS210-HO-4 is used in the following kits:Powered Dayton Audio Reference 8" 250 Watt Compact Subwoofer Kit with Built-In DSPOccupying only 1/2 cubic foot, this ultra-compact 8" subwoofer kit will deliver surprisingly powerful output making it a perfect addition to smaller stereo and home theater systems. With the impressive Dayton Audio RSS210HO-4 8" driver and powered by a SPA250DSP amplifier, this subwoofer kit has more power and flexibility than you would expect from a system this small.View KitDayton Audio 8" Reference Series HO Subwoofer and Cabinet BundleThis superior subwoofer cabinet is CNC-machined for precise panels and is specifically built for use with the Dayton Audio RSS210HO-4. Save over $20 off the original retail price when you purchase this bundle.View Kit SpecificationsQ&AReviewsManuals & Resources

The RSS210 series has a stiff linear cone, works well higher up (even into the midrange) and relatively low inductance, and stable impedance free of rising distortion with rising frequency above 100Hz, unlike a lot of other subwoofer drivers. The HO variant is designed to work in smaller enclosures. The HF variant is more sensitive, but needs bigger enclosures- it's one of my favorites for LF applications, due to its fairly Wideband linearity.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• wolf_teeth
      • Feb 2011

How big is 'small'? Agreed we need a budget estimate.

Hexibase usually prints for car audio based projects, so they may not apply to your situation.
      Toid would possibly have a solution, but how good is it?

I agree with Jon's recommendation being quite valid. I'll even go one further and say the Dayton MX10-22 in the same sealed and stuffed box kit size with the Dayton SD300-6 and boost engaged is quite the potent overachiever.

My Biumph design by comparison is a 9.5" cube with a driver and PR and 50W max power handling. Place it in a corner, and be amazed.

I also used the Dayton UM8-22 in a 0.5ft^3 sealed without boost and 200W on tap. Placed adjacent to walls, this can also perform quite well. Just watch the gain as it can protest heavily when it gets into the clipping or suspension limits.

In subwoofers, there are many options.

Comment

• tktran
        • Jan 2005

My method is to start with the cabinet first. Decide on how big you (or your partner) can tolerate. Use mock-up cardboard boxes if you want to see how it will look.

Then work backwards and calculate now much internal box volume you can use to design your cabinet (assume 5/8 or 3/4" thick MDF stock)

Do you have some way of measuring how loud you generally listen? This will help determine subwoofer requirements.

If you can't, I find a good rule of thumb is at least TWO sizes up from your mains.

eg B3S - 3" driver. 2 x 3" >4".
        So a 5" ported subwoofer would be a absolute minimum to be worth building.

For bass, it's not about budget, it's about Vd (Sd times x-max)

2. Then getting the subwoofer to play nice with the satellite is an important step.

Comment

• 1Michael
          • Sep 2006

And...what are the dimensions of the space it will go in?
          Michael
          Chesapeake Va.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"