A cautionary tale of summer travel and "summer colds".

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

A cautionary tale of summer travel and "summer colds".

Recently we traveled to Seattle to visit wife's daughter's family there- just a short stop over, driving on Thursday, staying on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and driving home on Monday.

It was a good opportunity to connect in person with extended conversation- many folks are not really inclined to being message writers, and of course the mother-daughter in person component is quite important, even though they talk a lot on the phone.

I did have some long face to face conversations with the son-in-law on Saturday when he was free; Sunday he had special plans going to a ball game (Seattle Mariners) with a group of associates from his insurance business, his son, and one of his friends- an option I declined to avoid crowds and spend time with the women folk. He noted that he had a bit of a summer cold, but that it wasn't really bothering him much.

Tuesday after we returned home, I noted a sore throat- odd- haven't had that or a cold in over ten years. Symptoms continued to develop Wednesday and Thursday, to the point that I questioned the summer cold concept, and located a CVS store with antigen tests in stock (most drugstores I checked don't carry them anymore) and masked up and went shopping for some, way over in Boise- none nearby.

well, boys and girls... no ambiguity here.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Binax Card.jpg Views:	0 Size:	477.1 KB ID:	948456

I was a target rich environment! A strong positive.

This lead to phone engagement with my health care provider, to determine if a PCR test was worthwhile, and what about anti-virals; coincidentally, I have an annual checkup scheduled for Wednesday this week.

I didn't really get much follow up from them until Friday- talked to the nurse in the morning, she was going to see if anyone had paxlovid on hand at drugstores, (again, hardly anyone, because as it turned out, the shipped stock had all "expired" and then been returned; subsequently the company said "just kidding" about the expiration date, but understandably the drugstores wouldn't take back product with an expired data code.

My doctor actually called me late Friday afternoon, because he already had a very busy schedule on Friday, and we discussed options, and found one store in Boise. But interestingly, I pointed out that many of my symptoms were dropping substantially in intensity by Friday afternoon, and as I understood it, anti-virals were design to slow/inhibit the growth of viruses in the early stages so that the body's immune system would have time to rally, which is why taking them later didn't really yield any benefit- he agreed that if my symptoms were tapering off due to my own immune system, taking Paxlovid at this point was probably not useful.

I did get back in touch with the in-laws after getting my positive test result- it turns out their 12 year old son also got sick, sick enough to be running a fever, but it hadn't occurred to them to test for COVID, even though they'd had COVID infections twice previously in 2021.

COVID is so last year for a lot of folks, however, the virus didn't get that memo.

Only two more tidbits before closing-

One of my closest friends/former colleague and his wife took their dream cruise to Alaska a little earlier this summer, with their older daughter. Besides coming back with lots of pictures, they also came back with COVID. OTOH, another friend took a cruise to Hawaii, and didn't come back with COVID. So, 50/50 chance? not odds I like. I had several colleagues die of this in 2020, and some acquaintances, like Jeff Bagby. I am fully vaccinated through the end of 2022. Many folks aren't, and they remain vulnerable, regardless of their personal beliefs.

Sadly, the only statistical tracking being done these days for the public at large is week by week hospitalizations, which as we all know is something of a trailing edge statistic, because it includes the original infection exposure, and the time to get sick enough that at home care is no longer adequate, and institutionalization is required. This most strongly impacts the "elder population", of which I am a reluctant member. (I don't like acting my age...). So this is a 4-6 week trailing statistic- this map is from a couple of weeks ago...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Hospitalization by week.jpg Views:	0 Size:	354.0 KB ID:	948457

And this isn't showing absolute numbers, but the percentage change over the previous week. If you're in one of the yellow states, or light orange, congrats! If you're in the dark blue, well, maybe a little more care is in order. But hey, not that bad, right, just 20%+ increase?

This summary for June-July tells a slightly different story (keep in mind, statistical tracking is subject to "noise floor" artifacts just due to reporting delay and the like). Different source, and the color coding is a bit different, except that the dark blue is still the top problem area, but now it's a 40%+ increase...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 7.19.36 AM.png Views:	0 Size:	293.8 KB ID:	948458

This is the backdrop to the first chart, essentially. But now we're seeing increases in a week that approach what was happening in a month.

It's up to you if you think you want to adjust your activities any to take these changing realities into account. It's Monday after I started turning the corner on Friday, and I feel pretty decent- brain fog is lifting and energy coming back, too.

But I sure don't want to do this again. And no, I'm not going to any ball games or on cruises the rest of this year! And visiting in-laws is a question mark. though there, all I really need to do is administer antigen tests upon arrival before unmasking, right? This would likely have worked for this visit. My wife has a weak immune system, but fortunately she spent little time around her son-in-law. And she declined getting the booster vaccinations in 2022, because she was in bed several days after the second shot from the original COVID series, whereas I thought maybe they'd given me the sterile saline solution control shot instead of a real vaccine- but that's usually how my body reacts to vaccines since I've been doing the Pauling Protocol for about 15 years.

the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....
  • theSven
    Master of None
    • Jan 2014

Originally posted by JonMarsh

But I sure don't want to do this again. And no, I'm not going to any ball games or on cruises the rest of this year! And visiting in-laws is a question mark. though there, all I really need to do is administer antigen tests upon arrival before unmasking, right? This would likely have worked for this visit. My wife has a weak immune system, but fortunately she spent little time around her son-in-law. And she declined getting the booster vaccinations in 2022, because she was in bed several days after the second shot from the original COVID series, whereas I thought maybe they'd given me the sterile saline solution control shot instead of a real vaccine- but that's usually how my body reacts to vaccines since I've been doing the Pauling Protocol for about 15 years.
    I started the Pauling protocol December of last year. It made a huge difference in my lipid panel tests! It has been working great for me 9 months into that now.
    Painter in training

Comment

• tktran
      • Jan 2005

I’m really surprised that you ended the tale of woe with the Pauling Protocol.

For those who are not familiar- you can ask ChatGPT (or Google or Wikipedia)

chatGPT’s response to

”What is the Pauling Protocol”

“The Pauling Protocol refers to a regimen developed by Linus Pauling, a Nobel Prize-winning chemist, and his colleague Dr. Matthias Rath. It involves high doses of vitamin C and other supplements, with the belief that it can treat or prevent various health conditions, including cardiovascular diseases. However, its effectiveness has been a topic of debate within the medical community, as scientific evidence supporting its claims is limited and inconclusive. Always consult a healthcare professional before making any changes to your health regimen.”

Here is the man, the legend himself-

In his later years, he really went off the deep end with his ideas of vitamins, which started the whole vitamin sales industry. To me, this is as much as about placebo (and more) to the health industry, as is snake oil is to the audiophile industry (intelligent middle upper class people who have ideas that are unfortunately grounded in the best available science)

Furthermore
      Linus Pauling, Ph.D. (1901-1994), was the only person ever to win two unshared Nobel prizes. He received these awards for chemistry in 1954 and for peace in ...

… you’ve heard of placebo?

Now read about nocebo:

Yes, real side effects and adverse symptoms AND measurable responses in response to otherwise harmless stimuli (sugar pill)

The brain and body is beyond remarkable (and strange), beyond what we (human-kind) can understand or fathom it.

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Nice response!

However, I suggest digging deeper.

This book will give you a lot of background on what led to the development of the Pauling protocol for cardiac health.

You know, almost no one I know realizes that there are only three classes of mammals that cannot manufacture vitamin C in their liver, due to an enzyme process defect. These are guinea pigs, fruit bats, and primates. They must ingest vitamin C to get any, and yet it is used for so many processes in the body, especially those related to tissue repair and connective tissue. A typical 150 lb. mammal produces 4,000 to 6,000 mg of vitamin C a day.

​​​​​​​How much do you get in your diet? There is a difference between frank scurvy, versus optimum health. The body has ways of secondary back up function, for example, for repairing the cracks forming under pressure in the coronary and carotid arteries, using Lipoprotein(a). This is a form of cholesterol, and it is why coronary plaque forms and is related to cholesterol. What the typical lay person probably doesn't realize is that the body MANUFACTURES this from other fats in the diet. But this shows up in your lipid blood tests. It's the reason a close former colleague of mine has stubbornly high LDL cholesterol, while everyone I've suggested this regimen to has vastly improved their lipid numbers- not because of diet, but because of how the body processes things in order to make critical repairs.

​​​​​​​Just read the first few chapters about research studies in the 1950's using guinea pigs, which have the same vitamin C issues as people. You might find that eye opening.

In my own case, about 15 years ago I had what would be typically called a "silent"/disguised heart attack, which I thought was food poisoning from McDonalds in the Dallas airport before flying home- that flight was very miserable, due top the high level of nausea. The next time I had reason to have an EKG it revealed an inverted T-spike, indicative of a right bundle branch block, AKA ischemic event.

​​​​​​​(Full disclosure: my professional education is NOT electrical engineering (don't have a single hour of that) but psychology with a lot of premed biology). I'm a self taught electrical engineer, my last title for 8 years in my day job in a position promoted by European HQ to Distinguished Engineer, a position just below a Fellow, and only normally held by senior PhD's. Only obtained via both internal technology impact and external business impact. Reading is my only super power.)

​​​​​​​So, at that time I started doing a lot of research and came across Pauling. I adopted it whole heartedly, and my primary care doctor has been baffled by my test results and cardiac performance, even on two detailed ultrasound analysis with treadmill stress test prior to my hip joint replacement surgeries. She (and the team cardiologist) said my heart just shouldn't have looked that good, based on the "normal progression" from that past EKG. Of course, she's also been surprised at how good my lipids have looked for years... Of course, she was also surprised to see the pictures I shared of Beverly and I hiking in Antarctica in 2015... I am really getting tired of doctors that are frequently being "surprised", which is why I took quite some time and care to select my current doctor, who is clearly something of a polymath. we get along pretty well, so far. Seeing him again tomorrow.

​​​​​​​Now, Pauling likely practiced what he preached, and if I make it just to 93 like he did, I think I'll be happy... but at 72, I've already outlived all of my FOO two generations back- most of my father's kin died of heart attacks in their 50's.

Ya pays your money, makes your choices, and you takes your chances...

the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Obi-Wan
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

BTW, I wouldn't relay on generative AI (programmed by all the text on the internet, basically) for anything important- that's why doing your own reading and research is important. I know that's easier for me than a lot of people - my 3rd grade teacher was rather perplexed to find early in the school year that I had a high school reading level with excellent comprehension at 350 wpm, the fastest speed on the machine she borrowed from the high school to test me).
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Obi-Wan
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Reet
            • Dec 2007

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1227.png Views:	0 Size:	1.74 MB ID:	948503

I’d rather have covid.
            https://discord.gg/h5SuNKDJfx

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Easier to fix. Canada has had a real tough time of it this year, both in the PNW and in the NE.
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Obi-Wan
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• augerpro
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2006

Jon, as something of a health nut maverick myself, thanks for the tip on the Pauling protocol. One question: the protocol seems to be centered on intravenous vitC, followed my oral vitC as "maintenance." Do you do intravenous vitC regularly? I remember early on in COVID, that IV vitC was showing big benefits, but oral none at all.
                ~Brandon 8O
                Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
                Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
                DriverVault
                Soma Sonus

Comment

• technodanvan
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2009

I believe it depends on the type of oral vitamin C you get. My wife and I use the below...it's hard to say whether it really helps or not as I'm not one to analyze my lab reports, but neither of us have had a positive COVID test yet, which to me probably indicates we have contracted it at some point but didn't realize it, given the time involved at this point.

https://www.amazon.com/Lypo-Spheric-...s%2C160&sr=8-8
                  - Danny

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by augerpro
                    Jon, as something of a health nut maverick myself, thanks for the tip on the Pauling protocol. One question: the protocol seems to be centered on intravenous vitC, followed my oral vitC as "maintenance." Do you do intravenous vitC regularly? I remember early on in COVID, that IV vitC was showing big benefits, but oral none at all.
                    Again, I strongly recommend reading the book available on Amazon. Even just the first chapters detail some very interesting and fairly conclusive research work done in the early 1950's with guinea pigs, regarding heart disease and remission of the same, via vitamin C- they have the same dependency issues as primates. In fact, Liubov's daughter's family in Seattle has guinea pig pets, and they require a separate feeder for vitamin C!

I also have PDF excerpts, particularly with regards to the initial treatment phase if one needs to reverse an existing issue. I have not had any coronary artery blockage, but the EKG inverted T-spike shows there was a "silent" ischemic event, which I experienced as very strong nausea on the flight home.

I break this down for myself into two phases, a therapeutic phase for 90 days I do every two or three years, and a maintenance phase.

Many people don't have much oral tolerance for sodium ascorbate because of how it irritates the stomach or bowels. I have no problem taken with meals. My normal routine is 1,000 mg of liposomal vitamin C orally first thing in the AM, 1,000 mg with each meal, sometimes thats just two meals a day, and then 1,000 mg of liposomal before bed. Liposomal holds the vitamin C crystals in a thin lecithin coating, which is transported to the liver and digested, with the vitamin C being released there.

Buffered vitamin C is also available, such as from Jarrow; calcium ascorbate. Should not be taken if doing the therapeutic regimen with L-Lysine as the L-Lysine greatly increases calcium uptake, for some there's a small change of kidney stones.

For "normal" vitamin C, I use Kirkland 1,000 mg tablets. For Liposomal, I use Core Med Science, from Amazon.

Been doing this about 15 years.

Minor anecdote- my daughter's father in law's 2nd wife asked me about this many years ago, but they didn't pursue this- the father in law had some heart issues. He's within a few months of my age. He took care of his heart issues (well, part of them) some years later with open heart bypass surgery, because of blocked coronary arteries.

Besides the book on Amazon (available on Kindle; I don't buy physical books anymore, for long time, between iPad Kindle app and Apple Books) here are three PDF's you might find interesting. A lot of people, like my daughter, find this stuff TLR; they're just not readers. But several of my older colleagues at work ARE readers, like me, and found these interesting- two have said it saved their lives.

YMMV, but I think I can guarantee it won't hurt your life. As a side benefit, I haven't had a cold or the flu in 10+ years, and even my doc today commented on how short my symptomatic period with COVID was. And my younger Russian wife comments about how firm and unwrinkled my skin looks- it benefits collagen repair and maintenance everywhere.

​​​​​​​I could tell you stories about all the other older guys I know on statins, with stents installed and on blood thinners to prevent clotting issues. With my lipid panels, my doctors have never suggested statins for me, and frankly are curious what I do to have 130/75 BP and 58 BPM resting (checked today in the doctor's office). Especially considering the family history.

Click image for larger version

Name:	St Alphonsus.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	586.3 KB
ID:	948515

Maybe I should just attribute it all to my FJ Cruiser- they seem to run nearly forever with good basic care...

Introduction by Robert Burkhalter.

vitalinformation.pdf

Licensed excerpt from Chapter 7, reprinted with permission.

excerpt_chp7.pdf

​​​​​​​Original Paper by Mathias Rath and Linus Pauling, 1992.

1992-v07n01-p005.pdf

Attached Files
                    the AudioWorx
                    Natalie P
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Obi-Wan
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"