• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pez
    • May 2004

Semi-DIY speaker wire

Going to give this a try:

Link deleted by Admin

Basically its using some Ultralink 14 guage 4 conuctor in wall speaker wire and combining 2 pairs for the + and the other 2 pairs for the -. I want to dress it up but not sure what size techflex to use. Also want to put some heat shrink tubing on the 2 combined conductors and over the ends of the techflex. Any suggestions of sizes would be very helpful.
  • Dennis H
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2002

You can get the same wire a lot cheaper from our friendly sponsor, Parts Express. Click the banner above and search for part # 100-768 . They have all the other parts you will need as well.

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

sacred trinity of L/C/R: Inductance (L in henries), Capacitance (C in farads), and Resistance (R in ohms).
      Pretty funny, he spends 1/2 of the article blabbling about the importance of stuff, then never bothers to measure them. :roflmao:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Pez
        • May 2004

Originally posted by Dennis H
        You can get the same wire a lot cheaper from our friendly sponsor, Parts Express. Click the banner above and search for part # 100-768 . They have all the other parts you will need as well.
        Had I not already had all the pieces I would have purchased this stuff from PE. When I bought my last set of speakers the store gave me a killer discount on speaker wire, it just so happens to be the same stuff in that article. I already had some banana plugs laying around so I am ready to "dress up" the cable. I will be getting the techflex from PE, just need to figure out what size.

Comment

• Ten 99
          • Apr 2004

What is the diameter of the wire you've got there? 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" ??? That will be the determining factor. Note, the techflex will adapt within some limits to the diameter of the cable it is covering, but if you're using 1/4" techflex to cover 1/2" cable, understand that the weave has to 'open up' a bit to accomodate. This just means that the techflex becomes less opaque and the color of the cable jacket shows through more.

Comment

• PiDD
            • Aug 2003

I also read the article way back. I had Home Depot 12g special and decided to try this. It was cheap enough $0.70/ft cdn.

I really liked the new sound.

I dressed it up with 1/4" flex mesh but that is too small and stretches too much and you can see the cable underneath. I would go 3/8" next time. For heat shrink I went 1/2" for the cable and 3/8" for the banana plugs.

Hope this helps.

Rob
            Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Shrink
              • Nov 2004

Deleted as sales promotion from Vendor or Vendor associate, Admin
              Mr. Shrink, while you may be shrunk, you can't promote products here. Your account will be deleted unless you cank think of a non-industry association for your username. Please email if you can think of a name that meets guidelines. Admin.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"