Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reet
    • Dec 2007

Disco on the floor :p

My latest creation. A 3-way speaker using Scan-Speak Discovery 22W/8534 woofer, Eton 5-880 midrange, and Vifa XT250TG30 in a Visaton WG148R waveguide. The woofer is in a transmission line cabinet

Baffle is solid Sapele with a maple stripe. OCD may kick in with this one a bit, the boards chosen weren't a great match so there is a colour difference between the two speakers, also some natural wood features break the perfect symmetry. Hardwood is finished with Tung oil, cabinet is painted flat grey with a quality washable wall paint. I used the scraps from the driver cutouts to make some terminal cups on the back side. I still have to make some feet for these, I have plans to do something nice with the leftover sapele off-cuts.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1176.jpg Views:	0 Size:	253.0 KB ID:	947505
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1181.jpg Views:	0 Size:	142.0 KB ID:	947506
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1180.jpg Views:	0 Size:	129.0 KB ID:	947507
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20230812_104827.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.1 KB ID:	947508

The Scan-speak 22W/8534 woofer is excellent. Smooth response right up to 1.5kHz where it starts beaming. Larger than average cone surface area for a driver of its size.

In-cabinet response shown at 15 deg increments.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	22w8534 directivity.png Views:	0 Size:	166.5 KB ID:	947509

HD was tested at 3V and 30cm distance. Very little to complain about with this woofer.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	22W8534 HD 3V 30cm.png Views:	0 Size:	41.7 KB ID:	947510

The Eton 5-880 presented a bit of a challenge. It's response takes a 5-6dB steep drop at 2kHz, which limits what can be easily done with it using a passive filter, and a bit unfortunate for a small 5" driver. It is a fibreglass honeycomb cone, and this response is not that different from what you get with the Dynavox yellow honeycomb drivers as well. It's funny that the Discovery 8" woofer provides a smoother response up past 2kHz here.

Click image for larger version  Name:	eton 5-880 directivity.png Views:	0 Size:	185.0 KB ID:	947511

HD was tested at 3V and 30cm distance. Eton has a simple motor, so distortion results are not the best, but far from the worst. Cone breakup shows up as 3rd order peak at 2.2kHz.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	5-880 HD 3V 30cm.png Views:	0 Size:	41.4 KB ID:	947512

The Vifa XT25TG30 used here is an old stock tweeter, from the pre-Tymphany days, these were "made in Denmark". Even with the waveguide, there is still some baffle diffraction showing up on-axis in the 2-3kHz range, but it's still a very usable response overall.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Vita XT25WG directivity.png Views:	0 Size:	152.7 KB ID:	947513

HD was tested at 3V and 30cm distance.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	XT25WG HD 3V 30cm.png Views:	0 Size:	39.1 KB ID:	947514

Bringing it all together, I arrived at the following result. Some compromises were made to keep parts count and cost at a reasonable "mid-tier" level.
    • The midrange high pass is just a single cap, which results in a bump in the low end response from the driver Fs. I compared to a 2nd order filter that provided a smoother filter roll-off and better phase alignment, decided it wasn't worth the effort as overall response was not really affected much at all and the Eton is capable of handling a little low frequency output without strain.
    • The tweeter filter is 3rd order to match the fast cliff in the midrange response.
    • The woofer filter would need some big parts to avoid the 30-40Hz dip and 80-200Hz bump, so I decided to live with it as-is.
    • Rising response >10kHz will be un-noticed by most, only observable on-axis. I focus more on listening window response that single on-axis results, and listening window response is very good.

Click image for larger version  Name:	disco 3-way var8 Six-pack2.png Views:	0 Size:	353.9 KB ID:	947515

Click image for larger version  Name:	disco 3-way var8 XO-schema-8.png Views:	0 Size:	21.6 KB ID:	947516
    Overall it actually an excellent sounding speaker, very enjoyable sound, great kick drum punch, nothing really to complain about, just enjoyable music

https://discord.gg/h5SuNKDJfx
  • theSven
    Master of None
    • Jan 2014

I love the wood color choice on the baffle! What was the budget to build these?
    Painter in training

Comment

• Reet
      • Dec 2007

Thanks.

Budget? Hmm, so I mostly just collect drivers I find on sale or through classifieds, lightly used that I think would work well with other drivers I have collecting dust on the shelf. Budget is “this seems reasonable”.

The hardwood baffle doesn’t add a huge amount of cost overall, especially given the current price of MDF these days, and its a lot more enjoyable woodworking experience in addition to adding to the visual appeal. Having access to a big jointer planer helps.

Comment

• technodanvan
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2009

Looks really nice Reet! Interesting choice on the midrange, I haven't seen many designers go with Eton before as it often isn't the best value. Looks like you did a great job despite the somewhat limited upper range on it. I do really like the eight bolt pattern for the Eton as well!
        - Danny

Comment

• Reet
          • Dec 2007

Eton are generally not very good value as a DIY option, the price is high especially for something with a basic motor, and the datasheet response is generally awful overly smoothed useless data. With DIY driver supplies dwindling and prices rising, I have jumped on a few purchases that I otherwise wouldn't have, and this is one of them. My purchase price for the Eton drivers was only CAD$50ea. Eton is NLA as a DIY option today it would appear, Solen recently cleared out their remaining Eton stock.

This particular Eton driver has been around for ages, and I found two datasheets for it, neither of which depict the real response >1kHz in the slightest. Put on your rose tinted glasses...
          Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	64.3 KB ID:	947947
          Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	98.5 KB ID:	947948

For direct comparison, I divided my on-axis response by the diffraction response for a IB equivalent:
          Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	23.3 KB ID:	947949

In any case, I do have lots of positive things to say about these Eton drivers. First, the measured T/S was bang on spec, and the pair of drivers were about as perfect as a matched pair as you could imagine. The speaker cone "doping" is hand applied by brush which gives the drivers a very nice appearance, the yellow honeycomb behind subtly glistens through. Downside for the cone is the dustcap is extremely soft. The frame is not vented behind the spider, however the front of it is thick enough that you can lay the driver flat on its face and not squish the surround. I do think 8 screws in a 5" driver is excessive though.

The frequency response is a bit unfortunate, but if you pound it into shape the driver sounds quite pleasant.

Comment

• Reet
            • Dec 2007

​A photo of Eton 5-880.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	316
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	947952

Comment

• Reet
              • Dec 2007

Just a couple more photos.

Views:	314
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	948072

Views:	309
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	948073

Comment

• technodanvan
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2009

That is a good looking driver. Rose-tinted glasses indeed.
                - Danny

Comment

• tktran
                  • Jan 2005

Nice woodworking.

Comment

• 6thplanet
                    • Aug 2023

Definitely like the terminal mount, nice touch.
                    Your right about the Eton stuff. Always seemed overpriced for what it was so I never made that leap to try any of their offerings.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                      Mad Max Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Reet
                      ​A photo of Eton 5-880.

Views:	316
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	947952
                      This looks like a really fun system, and I've been playing around with the Visaton W148 waveguide for a while, too.

Have you heard anything "official" about the status of Eton? I'm getting that going out of business vibe, with the NA vendors having clearance sales. Used them in some projects back in the 80's and 90's.

the AudioWorx
                      Natalie P
                      M8ta
                      Modula Neo DCC
                      Modula MT XE
                      Modula Xtreme
                      Isiris
                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                      Minerva Monitor
                      Calliope
                      Ardent D

In Development...
                      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                      Obi-Wan
                      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                      Modula PWB
                      Calliope CC Supreme
                      Natalie P Ultra
                      Natalie P Supreme
                      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Reet
                        • Dec 2007

I don’t know anything about Eton, sorry.

Comment

• Reet
                          • Dec 2007

Feet made from the scrap off-cuts that usually get thrown away. I think they turned out pretty well.

Views:	141
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	949077

Views:	142
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	949078

Comment

• Reet
                            • Dec 2007

​Attempt to reproduce roughly the first photo here, but with feet attached. They'll look better on a hard floor TBH.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	1.30 MB ID:	949102

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"