X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • goskers
    • Jun 2004

TC2+ design questions

I am on the fence as to whether I should use dual tc sounds 2+'s per side in a u-frame dipole arrangement or go with a single one in a sealed configuration. I will be crossing these over to mids around 250 or 300Hz. A DEQX PDC 2.6 will be used for eq/xo/room correction so steep slopes and the such will not be a problem :T

With room interaction being a non-factor, will a sealed sub and dipole sound the same? Are there fundamental sound differences or is it just in the way rolloff, extension and room loading occur?

What is the optimum volume for a single TC2+ in a sealed enclosure?

Thanks for any comments and help.

wasser
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

With room interaction being a non-factor, will a sealed sub and dipole sound the same? Are there fundamental sound differences or is it just in the way rolloff, extension and room loading occur?
    First it's impossible to make room interaction a non-factor. The fundamental differences between how a dipole vs a sealed box interact with the room, are a major consideration.

Sealed boxes will play lower using less EQ than a dipole. Sealed boxes take fewer drivers for a given output compared to dipole designs
    What is the optimum volume for a single TC2+ in a sealed enclosure?
    Act as a woofer, function as a sub. What do you want to do?

Download a copy of Unibox and see what various enclosure volumes create. Usually the 'ideal' sealed box design results in a Qtc of 0.5

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

I'll have some suggestions for the sealed box approach later today, on "Simple Sub" thread.

Seriously, after living with 1 of the arvo's for a couple of weeks, as well as hearing the first set we completed at ThomasW's, as well as the Legacy Whisper Klone's we built, I think dipole is the ONLY way to go if you want something that approximates the definition and detail that a good pair of headphones will deliver, for example. There are practical reasons you may want to cross to a monopole sub below 50-75 Hz, but above that, dipole is where it's at. And if you have the cone area and some EQ, you can do pretty well full dipole to 30 Hz or so, but higher SPL's take some cone area, like ThomasW Arvo Part Ultra version (4 - DPL12 per side).

I understand he's converting to TC2+, and will put the DPL12's in his IB sub.

Best regards,

Jon
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"