X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drex46
    • Jul 2004

Need help deciding on a driver

I am planning to build a front firing subwoofer. I have the 1000 watt plate amp from Parts Express but I am having a difficult time determining which driver to go with. I want a 15" driver and have narrowed it down to the following:

Stryke Audio AV15 MKII $205
    Dayton 15" Titanic MKIII $199
    15" DVC High Performance $190

Of all of these I am most excited by the looks of the Stryke AV15 but I don't want looks to be the "driving" factor. Do any of you have any information you can add to any of these drivers that could help me make a decision. As you can tell price is virtually not an issue so which one would have the best performance. I am most interested in chest thumping bass for HT but I do listen to alot of music as well so I don't want it to go boomy at higher SPLs either.

Is there a 15" you think I should seriously consider that isn't on this list?

Thanks,

D-Rex
  • awm
    • Feb 2004

"Is there a 15" you think I should seriously consider that isn't on this list?"

Yes, the Adire Tumult. More $$, but an excellent driver.

Andy

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

I like Callaway Big Berthas myself. :lol:

Adire always a good choice. If you order from Adire, be sure and tell them your from HTGuide. It would be nice if Dan saw support from HTG. Maybe he would advertise again with us.

lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

From you're posts on other forums it appears that price is an issue.

I don't think the AV-15 is available at this time. Between the 2 PE drivers there is no comparison, the MKIII is the superior driver

BTW, boom is primarily a function of an improperly tuned system, or the sub's interactions with the room's geometry.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• drex46
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by ThomasW
          From you're posts on other forums it appears that price is an issue.

I don't think the AV-15 is available at this time. Between the 2 PE drivers there is no comparison, the MKIII is the superior driver

BTW, boom is primarily a function of an improperly tuned system, or the sub's interactions with the room's geometry.
          Yes, price is an issue, I just meant that I couldn't dissiminate between the choices I listed based upon price.

Okay, then by removing the DVC and adding the BP1503 I still have a dilemma. I probably won't be buying this for another 2 months or more so i don't have a problem waiting on the AV-15. So, between the AV-15, MKIII, and BP1503, which driver would be the best for a ported sub where I want killer HT and good music? What should I be focusing on as the specs that will help me make my decision?

Parts Express has the DVC as a dirver regularly priced at $599 (or $649) on sale for $189. It weights 34 lbs and sure seems nice but, it seems I can't find anyone to independently verify the price, i.e., another website selling it for $599 or more, nor can I find anyone who has built their sub around it.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide!

D-Rex

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

What should I be focusing on as the specs that will help me make my decision?
            There's a few values you can look at but really the Blueprint's are going to require a larger box then most of the others you're looking at...esp if you want to go ported.

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I thought you were referring to the Dayton DVC-15"

I seriously doubt that anyone ever sold those for $599. That's why PE has them for $189 and that's a little high IMO.....

You can buy closeout high excursion 15" car audio drivers all over that net for less than $150.

One significant issue with ANY closeout driver is warranty service......
              Last edited by ThomasW; 27 July 2004, 15:29 Tuesday.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• drex46
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by ThomasW
                I thought you were referring to the Dayton DVC-15"

I seriously doubt that anyone ever sold those for $599. That's why PE has them for $189 and that's a little high IMO.....

You can buy closeout high excursion 15" car audio drivers all over that net for less than $150.

One significant issue with ANY closeout driver is warranty service......
                Take a look at this one, it is the $599 retail one. There is another one that is around $139 which is the one I think you are referring.

It claims to be a monster woofer....
                Last edited by ThomasW; 27 July 2004, 15:29 Tuesday.

Comment

• drex46
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                  There's a few values you can look at but really the Blueprint's are going to require a larger box then most of the others you're looking at...esp if you want to go ported.
                  I can make a bigger box although I don't want to have a desk sized subwoofer in my house. But, when I am looking at specs I am referring to the specs of each driver and what I need to look at to adequately compare them.

Thanks,

D

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Okay we're going in circles.....

I've known about the $189 PE closeout driver for the better part of a year, that's how long they've been available. The reason PE has it as a $189 closeout is because no one would pay $599 for that driver. Very few closeout drivers are continuously available for a year.....

Of course, it's important to separate the marketing hype from the facts. Look at the T/S parameters for all these drivers. In my world, 20mm Xmax does not a 'monster' make :wink:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

drex46 install one of the many free speaker modeling software packages (like WinISD) and plug in the T/S parameters of each driver...you'll quickly see what the software suggests as the optimal box size and will teach you very quickly what happens to the response as you change box parameters (size & tuning etc) Note that winISD isn't the last name in modeling software but its easy to use and will do as a teaching tool for now. As for the Blueprint's if you do a search online you'll see they're typically used in either very large ported box's or small sealed box's often with Linkwitz transform circuits to help extend the bass down deeper then the box would normally allow.

Comment

• ThomasW
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Andrew,

The ONLY officially HT-Guide approved freeware is UniBox. :wink:

Although somewhat easier to use, there situations where WinsISD isn't accurate.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Sorry :smackbutt:

Comment

• drex46
                            • Jul 2004

What exactly does T/S stand for? I have downloaded the "official" freeware to make the calculations so I will play with it later this evening.

Thanks,

D-Rex

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Theil / Small were the two guru's before Tom and Jon came along

Comment

• drex46
                                • Jul 2004

Thanks, I will see if I can become more familiar with Mr T and Mr S.

D

Comment

• Lex
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Apr 2001

Well, at least I thought my Callaway joke was funny. :

Parts Express, the best choice for supporting HTG, regardless of Xmas. :B Sorry, I had a momentary brain fart earlier when I said Adire. While I like Dan at Adire, nobody has been a better supporter of HTG than Parts Express. They do get some great deals there.

Official software of HTG huh Thomas? :T

Lex
                                  Doug

Comment

• Dennis H
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Aug 2002

Unibox doesn't run on Excel 97. Yeah, yeah, I know. I need to move into the 21st century and update Excel one of these years.

Comment

• drex46
                                      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Lex
                                      Well, at least I thought my Callaway joke was funny. :

Parts Express, the best choice for supporting HTG, regardless of Xmas. :B Sorry, I had a momentary brain fart earlier when I said Adire. While I like Dan at Adire, nobody has been a better supporter of HTG than Parts Express. They do get some great deals there.

Official software of HTG huh Thomas? :T

Lex
                                      Yes, that was a good one Lex. Before this, the only drivers I knew were on the gold course.

However, I don't want an opinion skewed because PE advertises here. I know you might be inclined to send them business and I am sure they have some great products at great prices but I want other alternatives as well. Adire was a great option, if only I had more money to spend! I have bookmarked that driver and will most certainly revisit that in a few years when I hope to have more funds available. However, for now, I am looking for the best driver available for $250 or less. That maybe the Titantic from PE or it may be the BP1503 but, regardless, I still want the best value for the buck.

So, of the ones listed, have you heard any of them that have been build into a DIY sub and which one did you like the best, given the price?

Thanks,

D-Rex

Comment

• Lex
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Apr 2001

Myself, I couldn't begin to tell you about what's on the market. I'm sure Thomas's opinions of drivers wasn't sweyed by advertising, that's my job to do that.

Lex
                                        Doug

Comment

• drex46
                                          • Jul 2004

I will be sure and mention this forum if I buy an AV-15 or a Titantic driver from PE. I am not sure what us inexperienced DIY'ers would do without forums such as this.

Thanks,

D-Rex

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"