Big difference between Bosch 5.0 and 6.4 amp jigsaws?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • James W. Johnson
    • Jun 2001

Big difference between Bosch 5.0 and 6.4 amp jigsaws?

I purchased a 5.0 amp Bosch jigsaw from Lowes last April, its very nice and a big step up from the Black and Deckers I had been going thru like no tomorrow...I could litterally take one out in one project.

However its not all I hoped it to be , I sort of wish it vibrated a tad less and was more powerful....will upgrading to the 6.4 amp unit make a difference that is worthwhile?

thanks
    pics
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

Model numbers?

BB

Comment

• James W. Johnson
      • Jun 2001

1587 and 1590
      pics

Comment

• Brandon B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2001

Hmmm. I've had the 1584 barrel grip model for about 12 years now, and have never felt it lacked power (and I am certainly a more power kind of guy).

But yes, the bigger model will power through stuff more easily like you are looking for, which does tend to translate into less vibration. I like the barrel grip myself partly for this reason, more a grip on the saw to hold it steady. A new sharp blade also has a lot of effect on this, and if you are cutting thick MDF, your blade gets dull pretty fast.

If you want REALLY smooth, you could buy the festool.

BB

Comment

• Brandon B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2001

Actually, after more thinking on it, I'd say use the one you have for a while. It is basically the same as mine only grip handle. The bigger one is a larger heavier tool, and the more woodwork I do, the more I appreciate something easier to handle as long as it has enough power.

In other words, make sure you really want/need the extra power before going for the heavy beast. And go read all the reviews you can find. A few I have seen aren't too keen on the weight and heat of the unit.

BB

Comment

• Ten 99
            • Apr 2004

It's more than just the greater amount of power. There's a new quick release (more like eject) lever mechanism that is really nice. It also has these nice side blade guides (or stabilizers) that help keep the blade from flexing from side to side. There have been some reports that the new 1590 also runs very hot, due to the metal gear box up front. Not sure though. I have a 1587, and in all honesty I'm not that sure that I could be happier. At least not considering that it'd run me about $160 to upgrade to the 1590.

You've got an excellent jigsaw there. Unless you come across a great deal on a 1590, and you can unload your 1587 without taking a big hit, I'd say to stick with what you have. Also, be sure to use the Bosch 'Progressor' blades with it. Those are by far the best jigsaw blades I've come across. Pricey, but they last forever.

Comment

• James W. Johnson
              • Jun 2001

Well I have like 3 days to take it back and exchange it under Lowe's 90 day Satisfaction guarantee so it would only cost me a few bucks.

I think I will , if nothing else just to get the nicer blade swapping system.
              pics

Comment

• Ten 99
                • Apr 2004

That being the case...

Yes, definitely go for it. Probably like a $15-$25 difference for you, right? You'll be glad you did. Also, it'll create a situation where some lucky feller will happen upon your previously opened and used jigsaw, and probably pick it up at a great deal too. :B

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"