X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Building Transcendent Sound Balance Power kit

A little more than one month after placing an order, I received a Transcendent Sound Balanced Power Supply kit

Click image for larger version

Name:	power%20supply%20web.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	948309

For reasons that should be apparent, I posted my impressions of this kit on personal website that is not associated with HT-Guide. Note to dial-up users, lots of pics!

Details and impressions of the T.S. Balanced Power Kit
    Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 18:00 Thursday. Reason: Update urls and image location

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson
  • PMazz
    • May 2001

But at least you got that nice outlet strip with it......

So how did it do sonically? Any improvements?

Pete
    Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Pete,

That is a sweet little outlet strip isn't it? :B

Ya know, you to can have one of those strips for ~$12. And for a couple dollars more, you could buy one that actually has some surge protection ...

The unit does seem to do it's intended job. And so far nothing plugged into it has blown up. :T

When I get the budget (cheap) DIY device built; I'll do a full blown comparison between it, the Transcendent unit and the megabuck BPT stuff.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Yeah, if I want a good outlet strip WITHOUT surge protection, my vote goes for the Stanley Tools one- it's ruggede enough to probably run a truck over it without problems. It's more of an industrial "chic" sort of thing, I guess....

I have to wonder if we couldn't put together a "nice" looking kit with a Par Metal chasis, good wiring and components, and make money selling it at $100 less than this cost...

Well, since we're just your local friendly net guys, and not intent on starting a cottage industry, we'll just make sure you know how to do it for yourself.

Undoubtedly more to come.

~Jon
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Just some comments after reading:

With all the available room in the chassis, it would have been easy to supply you with a "roomier" terminal strip. Soldering that must have been a bit of a challenge.

No shrink-wrap? Puh-lease.

Not de-burring the faceplate is silly. They are leaving themselves open for the odd suit or two if someone slices up their hand.

This sounds like one of those "cottage industries" products. Will they get better in time?

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Al Garay
            • Jan 2004

I'm so glad I read this post. I almost bought the Transcendent Sound BPS today. Instead, I chose to buy the Brickwall PW8R15AUD since my top priority was/is surge protection. Our 1 year old Panasonic 34" HDTV died this past Sunday morning. So, I spent Father's day taking it back to Costco (love their return policy) getting my money back and buying their Toshiba 34" CRT. My wife thinks the lightning storms last week had something to do with it. I don't think so. But, I was given the green light to buy a good surge protector and the Brickwall seemed to be it.

I would like to have a balanced power supply that I can plug into the Brickwall. I will be very interested in your DIY kit.

By the way, did you know that you can buy the hospital grade Leviton outlets in other colors instead of orange from the Home Depot catalog. If you buy in quantities more than 8, it was about $9 each. I have those all around my family room, which now seems like a waste since I'll be using power strip.

Al

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Al

I have an account with Graingers so I have access to every type of receptacle known to mankind. Note that I usually don't buy from Graingers since they are so pricey.

BTW I think the orange recptacles placed throughout the room makes a 'statement' as to the dedication of the user.... :wink:

I had my main electrical panel replaced a couple of years back and had them install a whole house surge protection unit. Living in Colo makes one accutely aware of the need for good surge protection given the amazing amount of lightning here..... :E

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Al Garay
                • Jan 2004

I wanted to follow your lead and proposed upgrading our old 1970s vintage GE panel to a newer one (especially if I can re-use a lot of the breakers) and add a central surge protector. My wife saw immediately through my efforts as scope creep. She knows me too well. So, I had to settle for the Brickwall unit. It could be worst.

Al

Comment

• Hank
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jul 2002

Al, you have the best system protection available: Brick Wall. Good engineering, and great value!

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

There were some questions about the wiring of the kit. To clarify I uploaded a scan of the wiring schematic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TranscendentSchematic.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	948310
                    Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 18:00 Thursday. Reason: Update image location

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• James W. Johnson
                      • Jun 2001

Geez, did you at least get the courtesy reach around with that Thomas?
                      pics

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"