X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brian Bunge
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2001

DeWalt DW616 router sucks...

...or doesn't rather. My old DeWalt router (DW625?) worked great. As long as the vacuum wasn't full the dust collection worked flawlessly. Unfortunately, I had a mishap with it and the threads of the mounting holes for my Jasper Jig got stripped out. So now I can no longer use it with the jig. For some reason the dust collection on the 616 is almost worthless. Unless I'm doing something wrong I don't see any reason to have the collection port on this thing at all. The little plate popped out of the bottom when I first got it but it apparently only fits in one way. Although, who knows, I could have reistalled that incorrectly. I know the older model is still available but my father bought the 616 for me with his Lowe's CC and the 616 is all that they carry.

If anyone else is using this router and is having good luck with dust collection please let me know. Also, the damn depth gauge is a POS. I much preferred the depth adjustment on the older model.
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

I feel for you, Brian. Router dust collection is something of a problem. The router that helped with that for me, are my Hitachi's; with the variable speed, it's easier to control the rate of dust generation. Lowe's carries them, too.

Also, check your vac- when my filter gets a little clogged, it still works OK as a genearl purpose vac, but for dust collection it needs higher air velocity.

Regards,

Jon
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I bought one of the DW616PK with both bases after breaking the switch on my DeWalt 621. I haven't used the fixed base at all. I don't find the 616 to be nearly as good a router, but haven't used it all that much. With the plunge base, the dust collection system seems adequate but not quite as good as that on the 621.

I bought the DW616PK because Lowe's was having a big sale. I think I made a mistake and should have just replaced my 621. But the engineering in the switch was so funky I though I wanted to return to a toggle. Now I'm not sure that was a good idea.

I also think the ergonomics of the 616 aren't very good, this includes the depth gauge.

I'll look at the fixed base and see what's up with it's dust collection.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Brian Bunge
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2001

Jon and Thomas,

Thanks guys. I really wanted to hear from Thomas since I thought he'd gotten the 616 too. I have the same unit with the fixed and plunge bases. Not even remotely close to the 621 for dust collection or depth adjustment. I wonder if DeWalt actually discontinued the 621 or if Lowe's and HD did. I've seen it for sale at several online sites. I wonder if I really complained if DeWalt would do a swap with me? If I thought I could replace the base cheaply I'd do that too but I also think that my old 621 needs some "servicing" on the motor. It's been put through hell.

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Brian,

Well the fixed base has no dust collection. The 616 plunge base has a much smaller dust collection inlet as compared to my old 621.

The more I play with the 616, the more I think it's not a good router for anything other than hobby use.

A google search shows the 621 available at a ton of suppliers

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Ten 99
            • Apr 2004

Dw621

Brian,

What you had (I'm almost certain) and what you want again is the DW621. There isn't a better plunge router that I'm aware of, especially with regards to dust collection.

Lowes should still be carrying the DW621, if it's not in stock, see if they can order it for you. You can take that duo pack back within 30 days of purchase.

This guy is a GURU with routers, and you should take a look at what he has to say about the DW621:

3 of the 4 routers shown here should be in the router locker of the lifetime woodworker. The trimmer is a luxury but quite handy nevertheless. The DW 621 plunger would be my choice if I was permitted only one router or if I was unsure of my future in woodworking.
            He has some great offset bases that are a true bargain. They will make you more "sure footed" when using a router. I have one for my PC690.

One more thing, check to see if there is a DeWalt service center in your area, they will at times have DW621 refurb units at good prices. Another place to check for the DW621 refurb is (believe it or not) at www.harborfreight.com, and they normally have a good price on it.

Comment

• Ten 99
              • Apr 2004

Ah, and one other thing...

There's also a DW618 which is similar to the DW616, except that it is a 2.25hp setup as apposed to the DW616 at 1.75hp rating. I'm not certain if the bases are the same (the plunger and the fixed) between the two. There's a possibility that the 618 has a larger / better dust collection port, but my guess is that they are in fact the same or almost identical. The DW621 is where it's at.

Also, if you go www.dewalt.com, you can get a free account to get onto their service papers, etc. You could probably find the base part that you need to replace, and find out the cost on that.

Comment

• Hank
                Super Senior Member
                • Jul 2002

I'm going to make a recommendation here that I've done many times on the forums. First, this is NOT a 3+ hp monster router, BUT trust me, its 1 3/4 hp is plenty:

Three years ago, I bought the (gasp) Harbor Freight Tools version of this router. I was expecting it to last maybe a year, tops. It has a dust collection port that works perfectly. I have routed countless driver holes, from TB-size for my BozeBusters, to building Danny's personal pair of GR Research Alpha LS, plus several more mini's, centers and towers. This is one VALUE purchase in power tools. Buy the biggest routers and install them in a router table. I have the Freud FT2000EP mounted in my router table/cabinet (BTW, it has performed great for 4 years). You do not need 3+ horsepower to route driver recesses and through-holes (but you DO need quality, SHARP bits). Amazon used to sell this router, but I just looked, and it's gone, but since their recent association with Grizzly tools, I noticed a Grizzly model that looks very similar to the Freud/Harbor Freight router. Also, I don't think Harbor Freight carries it anymore.
                Honestly, when I ordered this router, I was uneasy about the motor power, and assumed that it would last a year at most. I am impressed. My original plan was to use it and when it went up in smoke, buy a DeWalt DW621.
                BTW, I, and family members or friends do not work for Freud, Harbor Freight, Amazon or Grizzly or any associated dealers. I am just impressed and very surprised that a Harbor Freight router has cut as many holes as this one, and keeps going.

My overriding advice is to only buy a router that has a dust collection port if you're going to work with MDF.
                Now go make some dust! :T

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2001

Guys,

Thanks for all the info. and comments. I would just buy a new 621 but I can't afford to do that at this time. That's why my dad bought the 616 for me. I assumed it would be just as good at dust collection as the 621. One other thing that I've noticed is that it doesn't seem as heavy-duty as the 621. Whenever I route holes with it, it seems to be working a lot harder than the 621.

Anyway, I'll see what I can come up with. I've had the router for several months so I don't think I can take it back to Lowe's. I may try though. I'm not above letting DeWalt know just how dissatisfied I am with this unit and seeing if they will be willing to work with me on this.

Comment

• Dennis H
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Aug 2002

You do not need 3+ horsepower to route driver recesses and through-holes (but you DO need quality, SHARP bits).
                    Yep, you've got that right. Years ago, I bought one of these featherweight (5 lbs.) 1-1/4 HP Makitas because I was tired of hefting the old monster on job sites. Since then it has milled thousands of feet of hardwood trim without ever breaking a sweat. That said, it doesn't have dust collection and doesn't take 1/2" bits so it's not what Brian is looking for.

Comment

• RAW
                      • Apr 2003

Brian I know were you are coming from.
                      I love my Dewalt 621 and have tried a few others with a duct collector as well.
                      Nothing touches it at all.I just purchased the 895PC and gave it a shot.Filled the shop in a minute using a lock miter bit.

I just wanted to have the 895 for the table top adjustability for the router table and mounted the fixed base in the table for good.
                      Love it in the table but free hand with the plung base they do not have a dust collection and after a few days for playing around I just went to Ebay and bought another 621.Best thing I did.
                      I have the 2 Dewalt 621 for free hand work and the 895 in the table.

For dust control I just have not came to a router that will keep up with the 621 for dust collection.

my 1 cent

Al
                      Got love exotic veneer !

Comment

• Lex
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Apr 2001

This is what I use. The bit never wears out, but no dust collection either.

:lol:
                        Doug
                        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• JonMarsh
                          Mad Max Moderator
                          • Aug 2000

Oh, you have the bio-degradable version, Lex.

Is that just one BP rated? (Beaver power).

I dunnno, it looks like it might be good for a few small jobs, but a production environment? Don't know if it would have the necessary capacity...

I'm such a sick puppy I've got two of these, plus a big Porter-Cable.

No, it's not as light weight as your Beaver or the Makita above, but with half inch bits it goes through stuff like a hot knife through butter; the variable speed and torque are real pluses, because it doesn't have to be spun up to high RPM to generate some power. Much better with the larger diameter bits than my Porter Cable.

Other tip: Bosch Bits.

~Jon
                          the AudioWorx
                          Natalie P
                          M8ta
                          Modula Neo DCC
                          Modula MT XE
                          Modula Xtreme
                          Isiris
                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                          Minerva Monitor
                          Calliope
                          Ardent D

In Development...
                          Obi-Wan
                          Modula PWB
                          Calliope CC Supreme
                          Natalie P Ultra
                          Natalie P Supreme
                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Lex
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Apr 2001

But Jon, check out the handle on that bad boy of mine. :rofl:

you are sick, 3 routers. What a looser, I mean groover..

I've just got an old Craftsman original. Vintage about 1974, :

Lex
                            Doug
                            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Ten 99
                              • Apr 2004

Can you have too many routers? If so, it would be a nice problem to have. :T

Jon, I have that M12V as well. I have mine doing router table duty. Personally, I think it's the best buy in large scale routers when mounted in a table. The Freud 2000E is also very well praised, but there are more people with M12V's that have been put through serious duty cycles for years (work horses) that have had no problems. Not saying that the Freud isn't up to it, just more good examples of the Hitachi out there to reflect on. The Hitachi can also usually be picked up cheaper. My other big router favorite is the Milwaukee 3.5hp fixed base. It offers above and below table adjustments that are very precise, and it is built like a tank. You can pick this one up for about $280. There was a good online vendor that had a package (might still) for that price that also included a fixed base Porter Cable PC690 router. That was a great combo for the price.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                Mad Max Moderator
                                • Aug 2000

Most folks do wonder about the three routers, until I explain that one M12V is in my router table plate on my saw table, one is for general purpose "free hand" jobs, and the Porter Cable (also a half inch model) is dedicated to a Jasper Jig.

I don't even count my laminate trimmer as a router, or the Black and Decker sitting neglected on the shelf.... otherwise folks would think I had four or five routers!

~Jon
                                the AudioWorx
                                Natalie P
                                M8ta
                                Modula Neo DCC
                                Modula MT XE
                                Modula Xtreme
                                Isiris
                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                Minerva Monitor
                                Calliope
                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                Obi-Wan
                                Modula PWB
                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                Natalie P Ultra
                                Natalie P Supreme
                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hank
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Jul 2002

I give up. I'm amazed at the number of guys that continue to use non-dust port routers on MDF. You guys either love to clean your shops or you "love the smell of MDF dust in the morning". I guess it's the guy thing of becoming very attached to our power tools, akin to the wild west cowboys attached to their guns. :W
                                  Last edited by Hank; 22 June 2004, 08:04 Tuesday.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

The truth be known I really prefer my big Hitachi M12V too. But it's only used when the weather is nice and I can work in the driveway......If it too hot, too cold, or too wet, too much snow, I'm in the basement or garage with the shopvac and a DeWalt

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Hank
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Jul 2002

Brian, it's you, buddy! I apologize for not noticing you started this thread. I saw "router" in the subject line and waded right in. How have you been? I've looked for new posts on your area of the AudioCircly forum, but assumed you've been covered up with installation work. Give me a call one of these days, or I'll call you. Hope the family is doing well.

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"