X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

hey, dropping in

Just thought I'd see how things are going for the DIYers in the new forum software. Any issues or problems? Everything smooth as a silk dome tweeter? Just checking.

Any problems with the moderators? I mean, these guys, what can you do? lol.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Yeah, you're probably right, Lex, you SHOULD do something about the moderators on this forum, they're pretty much nut cases. But hey, I understand, it's hard to get good help these days, so sometimes you just have to put up with the loonies a little.

~Jon
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Hey Jon, I don't know about you and Thomas but I'd be willing to act a little more normal - if we ever got a RAISE around here! I'm tired of making the same pay that I started at. . . :B

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Oops, busted........... I thought he'd forgotten about us.......

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

haha, just the response I'd expect from this bunch. Jon's avatar seems somehow very fitting. :rofl:

Yeah Thomas, I know, I've neglected putting my two cents in on you DIYer's projects lately, sorry bout that. ops: So, anything exciting going on? Any speaker projects going that require building permits? LOL.

Lex
          Doug

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Nah, we're just doing portable speakers these days.

Arvo Part Dipole Speaker, MkII

You know, portable as in two strong men and a boy can move them around easily!

Just the test mule above, gotta find some time to finish the crossover, and make a "pretty" one some day soon... but weekends are going to be appropriated by the company for a while, so this may take time...

~Jon
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Obi-Wan
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Paul H
              • Feb 2004

Lex, I'd like to register a complaint.

These moderators are very much responsible for two huge (180 lb each, over 4' high) speakers in my basement, with a third on the way.

A sore back, never a quiet moment, and vibrations in every floor level in the house are but a few of my problems ..

I tell you, I'll never ask for their advice again ... except maybe for that subwoofer I've been thinking about :P

Paul

Comment

• Hank
                Super Senior Member
                • Jul 2002

Lex: yeah, do SOMEthing about the moderators. Anyone that generous with the wisdom of their years of experience can't be just "nice guys". I think they're setting us up to sell us something, and my bet is it's going to be a SNAKE OIL tweak product. Maybe cable levitators?
                I DO like Jon's new avatar. How 'bout Chico Marx for Thomas'?

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Actually Hank, I'm afraid you're on to us.

Naturally, it's audio application of the flux capacitor to energy storage and delivery for audio and HT.

Just imagine what that 1.21 gigawatts from a fully charge fluxed capacitor can deliver into a 12 Tumults Pounding IB array! To say nothing of the transient snap! It will make conventional power supplies totally obsolete over night!

The best part is, we've managed to reduce the manufacturing cost of the flux capacitor by almost 100 fold over the last 20 years. But Marty, you'd better save up your money, anyway, because you don't want to see what kind of interconnects it takes to couple that 1.21 gigawatts to the rest of your system.... I don't think even Lex will be able to help!
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Obi-Wan
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hank
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jul 2002

the flux capacitor
                    AHA!! And you've probably hired Biff at slave wages to hand-polish the chromed flux capacitors so as to justify an even higher selling price.
                    Fiends! :twisted:

Uhmmm...how much will they cost? Just out of curiosity you understand...

Comment

• Lex
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Apr 2001

Jon, awesome looking speakers! I'd say bookshelves, as long as your bookshelves are made of 4" thick granite, lol.

Paul, if I were you, I'd sue their butts off. Go into court wearing a neck brace. Easy cash man, easy cash.

Hank, I know they got some snake oil in them saddle bags somewhere.

For some reason, I am thinking of the Nutty Professor and Tim Taylor. These two guys have to be close. lol. Yes, the Scientist from Back to the Future seems rather fitting as well.

Lex
                      Doug

Comment

• Ten 99
                        • Apr 2004

I'm thinking of a picture of Albert Einstein, with a one of those hard hats on that holds a couple of beer cans, and has the drinking tubes dunked down into them, and they run a short course to the mouth. 8O

Of course, the lab coat is mandatory.

Comment

• Hank
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jul 2002

Lex, is that your Bimmer?? Last June, I bought an '01 330i steel grey, sport pkg. What a machine!! Best car I've ever driven.

Chris, I like your avatar idea! Ol' Albert with a couple of beers is a great image. My son Taylor says he'll try to make you that avatar.

Comment

• Ten 99
                            • Apr 2004

The avatar would be cool, it just wouldn't be fitting for me. One you mad scientests maybe, but not me. I don't have near the brain-power for that.

I don't think I can remember a thing from H.S. Calculus or Physics. There was a time when I was a fairly smart kid, but that's been 15 years or so ago. I still have a good grounding in logic, and always will - I'm highly analyitcal.

I've got a good pic for an avatar for me. I don't know if I can load it on here for my profile or not. I'll have to try it.

Good score on the BMW !!! But what, no M5? :B

When it comes to german cars, BMW is by far my favorite. As a kid, I used to love Porsche, but I'm no longer interested in their designs. Great cars, but just not "cool" in my book, only snooty.

Italian - Ferrari please - modena and maranello please

My true love lies with Corvettes, and always will. The only thing I would change about my Z06 is the color. Wish I would have ordered black instead of the Speedway White. The color is rare though. I think within a year or so, I may trade it in on a '03 Black Z06 (50th Anniversary) and stick with that. If I do, I'll probably buy a truck as a daily driver. I miss having a pickup. Sheetgoods, you know.

Oh, my father-in-law is ordering a new C6. Should be great.

Oh, back to audio (sorry for the trip)

Comment

• Lex
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Apr 2001

Ten 99, you need to get over to the Speed section and post some. Trevor has a 98 C5, and will talk to you all day long about Corvettes. I too owned a speedway white 02 Z06, but quite possibly one of the shortest times to own a Corvette in the anals of motoring. 2 weeks, lol. Please don't ask. Don't tell!

Hank, I had an 02 330ci sports until recently. The thing is, the Corvette was white, and the only other car on the lot I could trade for when the Corvette just didn't work for me for a couple of reasons, that suited me, was this 330ci sports, and yes, it was white. Though white was a great looking color on both these cars, I just wasn't personally suited to white. I tried really hard to love it, I just couldn't love it, I could only like it. It was a fantastic 02 330ci, and I should probably have my butt kicked for trading it. But... Sometimes, it's about testosterone, about dreams.

So, I bought my dream car, even if, I'd still have preferred the exact interior from my 330ci sports, but didn't get that too. Can't have it all, can we?

This is now my primary pleasure car, but heaven forbid, not a daily driver.

2003 M3 coupe, carbon black metallic, grey interior, cold weather package, 10K miles.

Doug

Comment

• Hank
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jul 2002

Lex: Nice car! Not your daily driver? Well then, it should last you many years. I'm fine with my 330i for now. Oops - just saw the sneak peak of the future M2 in Automobile mag...oh well, we'll see what happens in the future. I probably will never buy a brand new car again. Now that I've been bitten by the bimmer bug, that's what I'll want in the future (or something close to it), and in that price range, I'll not be able to afford brand new.
                                Ten 99: so you're sticking with Vettes, eh? They sure have improved in the last few years. I drove a friends last year and the improvement in body stiffness was a nice surprise - no squeaks, creaks and groans. Finally they seem well built.

Comment

• Lex
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Apr 2001

thanks Hank. You can see my prior car on my web site, as I have not updated that yet. I do miss the interior of that car, that's for sure.

Sweet, a brand new 330ci, great car! Me, I have had 5 used BMWs in a row, lol. Chris D just bought a special 330 European version to bring home direct from BMW in Germany. Right now, he's still in Germany, as is the car. Sweet to get a special purchase privledge while in the military for him. Lucky. I could have afforded the brand new M if I could have bought it like that. But a little over 10K miles, mine is in pretty good shape of course. a few little interior scuffs, that sort of thing, a a slight oder, perhaps cigar that I am working to get rid of. I probably would not have bought it had I noticed that at the dealership. But it slipped by me until I got home with it and parked it overnight. This weekend I have cleaned glass plastic panels, and cleaned and conditioned the leather to help this problem. I'm also airing it out. I hope eventually I can get it odor free.

As to the not making a daily driver out of it, well, it's not as long as my other vehicle(s) hold up for to and from work, and most places with parking war zones. (Walmart, grocery store, etc..). (97 Honda Passport, 93 Chevy S10) I also have a Mustang Mach I in the garage. So, my garage is taken up by toys. It's a good problem to have. When I had a 97 328i convertible, I got the car with 8700 miles. 1 year later, I had 28K on it. I learned a lesson there about using my bimmer as a daily driver. That's when I got my S10.

You might say, well, where do I drive it then if I don't drive to work and stores? Sometimes, it's just driving, with no particular destination. Sometimes, to friends houses, whatever. I've not really established to much of a routine yet, and yes, it has to last me many years, as it's financed longer than I have ever financed one. 6 years. Ouch. Also tires and such will be expensive. Like you said it would be for you to buy a car like this, it was for me too Hank. It was a big stretch, but I pulled it off. Now, at least I can outrun the creditors anyway. :lol:

Hank, drop into the "Speed" section under other. We have a few BMW discussions going there. It will be more fun to get a few more folks involved.

Lex
                                  Last edited by Chris D; 05 February 2007, 03:59 Monday.
                                  Doug

Comment

• Ten 99
                                    • Apr 2004

Hank,

The C5's are a major improvement over the C4 platform. I had a '96 LT4 car before the '01. It was night and day in quality, rigidity, and every other aspect of the car. The C5 was a major stride in many ways, not only for a US car manufacturer, but for any mass productions car manufacturer. There were several things that BMW loved in the C5's engineering.

I know this sounds sick, but one of my favorite BMW platforms is the 840Ci -850Csi platform. I find these to be sweeeeet. I hated it when they stopped making them, pop-up headlights and all.

You can pick up 840's in the $15K range, and 850 at $18K and up range depending on year, condition, miles, etc. I would hate to have to work on that V-12 in the 850 cars, but it would be cool to have. I had thought about shoehorning an LS1 engine and 4L60E tranny into one. Could be made into a nice cruiser / bruiser.

The guy that owns the Chuy's and Hula Hut restaurants used to (might still) have a great customised one.

Comment

• Lex
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Apr 2001

Yeah, well we are completely digressed here now, we really should take this to SPEED.

RE the Verts, I heard that at least several car companies that made performance or touring cars bought them a C5 Vette. not to drive, but to tear apart. BMW, Toyota, Lexus, etc...

Yeah, I always liked those cars as well, though you see very few here. I saw a couple at a lot here, he can't sell them. I think they said 175,000 mile cars, and 18-20 price tag. I am not sure if they are 840s or 50s. One I know is a European version, reputed to be an all aluminum car for weight in Eurpope.

Lex
                                      Doug

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"