X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DeanP
    • May 2004

Question on the "Chosen" speaker x-over

EDIT:
    Sorry for being a pain and asking questions and then deciding on something different ops: ...when the money comes so will the speakers...
    Last edited by DeanP; 14 June 2004, 15:45 Monday. Reason: no replies and I felt I was being to much a pain with changing my mind all the time
  • DeanP
    • May 2004

bump...so that all affected can read.

Comment

• Al Garay
      • Jan 2004

I guess I don't understand the question. What exactly are you pondering?

Al

Comment

• DeanP
        • May 2004

I've been looking for a new set of speakers to build and it all started with the Audax ht series. Then I was informed that Audax was bought out and if I didn't buy all the speakers now that they may not be available when I could afford to buy the rest.(as I was going to build them as money became available) Then I decided that I was going to build the M8as and asked a few questions. Then I found out how much, after figuring out the crossover parts cost, how nuch it would set me back also. So I changed my mind and then found a less expensive speaker set. I decided to ask the "gurus" if this speaker x-over looked "good to go". To which I got no responses, so I felt that I was over extending my welcome (so to speak) and retracted my questions...thats it, thats all!

Comment

• goskers
          • Jun 2004

Whoa!

Can you explain first what your budget is?

What type of speakers are you looking for? To determine this sometimes music preferences are helpful. What type of volume levels do you normally list to stuff at?

Are you looking for a kit because this is your first time or do you have any knowledge of crossover assembly?

Some of these answers would really help before giving up.

wasser

Comment

• DeanP
            • May 2004

I haven't given up and have decided to "keep it simple" first. I am going to build the AR diy and see what I get from those. I've started the box construction now...
            I will buy the M8a parts next winter/spring when I get extra cash from TDYs.
            I am also "upgrading" my 54L sealed shiva to a 95L vented to get louder output lower. Picking up the mdf tomorrow and I have the oak veneer now. I just have to figure out to make a 3/4 round over without using a 3/4 round over bit.(router won't exept a 1/2 shank in its 1/4 hole!) All the building supply stores only carry 11/16 round over edging only. Maybe I could rip a pvc pipe in quarters to get the roundover I want for the top edge?? Any suggestions?
            Last edited by DeanP; 25 June 2004, 23:42 Friday. Reason: corrected spelling mistakes!

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I decided to ask the "gurus" if this speaker x-over looked "good to go". To which I got no responses, so I felt that I was over extending my welcome (so to speak) and retracted my questions
              Sometimes we miss a question. Don't read too much into that.

You can buy 3/4" roundover stock from the home center stores, most have pine or fur and oak.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• DeanP
                • May 2004

Originally posted by ThomasW
                You can buy 3/4" roundover stock from the home center stores, most have pine or fur and oak.
                The building supply stores here are limited to two, so the one I checked only had 11/16 roundover. The other one better have it! :roll: Maybe I'll just use 45 degree chamfers...I guess the trip to the store will sum this question up.

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by ThomasW
                  Sometimes we miss a question. Don't read too much into that.
                  Yes, our DIY Poobahs ;x( are constantly jetting off around the world, keeping track of their multi-national enterprises. We've learned to deal with their schedules and eccentricities (brought on by too much knowledge and associating with us). :B :B :B

Seriously though Dean, if you are still considering the PVC for round-overs, make sure your veneer adhesive will stick to the PVC as well as the wood. It'd be tragic to get your babies finished and then find out the corners aren't adhering properly.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"