X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Dead drivers

Guys I aquired two older SVS drivers that I was going to donate to Gord to build a couple of subs for him but I wanted to make sure they were working first before we got to far into the project. I connected the speaker cables from my mains to them but couldn't get the cones to even vibrate so I then tried a 9 volt battery and again no movement. I'm pretty sure they're both :# but before I toss them out got any suggestions?
  • mischa
    • May 2004

maybe another voice coil wil fit in ?

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
      Guys I aquired two older SVS drivers that I was going to donate to Gord to build a couple of subs for him but I wanted to make sure they were working first before we got to far into the project. I connected the speaker cables from my mains to them but couldn't get the cones to even vibrate so I then tried a 9 volt battery and again no movement. I'm pretty sure they're both :# but before I toss them out got any suggestions?
      Well, that doesn't sound promising, right off the bat... do you see or smell any signs of physical damage? A high temp failure will leave a lingering odor. Do you have a VOM or digital DVM, that you could measure the resistance across the terminals? Are there just one set of terminals? (single voice coil) or two? Does the cone still have normal range of motion (voice coil not locked due to thermal damage/warping?)

A conventional 9 volt battery may not have the "current" drive to move the cone/suspension on a 12" sub driver- there's a lot more mass and resistance involved.

Just trying to think of things to double check.
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I'll measure the resistance tonight on them but yes they're single voice coiled and appear to be ok physically (well one does have a small crack in the dust cap that would need repairing).

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

If they wouldn't move with a signal from an amp the prognosis isn't very good...........

Might inquire about having them reconed. That should be cheaper than buying new drivers.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• AndrewM
            • Oct 2000

You said you hooked the sub up to your mains, are they crossed over fairly high? It's going to be hard to "see" movement if the x-over is sitting up around 80hz. More importantly did any sound come out of them or are you just checking to make sure they will still be happy during big excursion?

Andrew

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

When they were connected to my mains I was playing some Japanese drumming and had the sub set to off with the mains set to large...trust me there was plenty of LFE going to them I wasn't really looking to test xmax at that point I just wanted to see if I could get the them moving a little to make sure they were working. I've sent and email off to SVS but in all likelyhood these are going into the dumpster. As for reconing do they do the VC's as well in a recone? You see these drivers coming up on the used market for about $50 each so it likely isnt' worth the cost of shipping and reconing though.

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Andrew

Reconing includes replacing everything except the frame and motor assembly. So yes new cone, dust cap, VC, spider, surround, etc.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"