X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skvinson
    • Dec 2002

Dynaply layer

I read a post on another forum about a person selling a pair of DIY speakers he made. The thing that interested me was he constructed the cabinet sides with a sheet of Dynaply sandwiched between two pieces of MDF. People on this forum seem to have experimented with and tested everything under the sun - has anyone tried this? Does it really help compared to MDF by itself with internal bracing? (BTW, Revel uses something similar, for what its worth.)

Thanks
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Constrained layer damping has been around for quite sometime. Most of the conclusions are that it's marginally beneficial. (Does make for good product marketing though)

IMO just having a sufficiently 'stiff' cabinet, meaning adequate wall thickness and good internal bracing is sufficient. As long as the cab resonance is out of the driver's passband things are ok...........

Not using CLD, frees up both time and money for more important aspects of the project.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• skvinson
      • Dec 2002

Thanks. I sort of figured the same, but like you said, sure does sound good.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"