• Show
Clear All
  • borsuk
    • Apr 2018

Convoluted foam thickness?

Hello,

I started to build the Amigas from Paul Carmody

He says in instructions:
    The interior walls of the enclosure need to be lined with some sort of convoluted foam or BlackHole (honestly, I use mattress topper from Wal Mart). There is also a wad of stuffing resting in the bottom 1/4 portion of the cabinet.
    That was pretty clear until I realised that the cabinet is so narrow. The internal width of the cabinet is 165mm. I have a 50mm thick foam, so if I cover the sides, it leaves me 65mm of free space between the walls, which seems a bit strange for me. Even the port tube will almost touch the foam from the sides. And the "wad" of stuffing which goes to the lower 1/4 would be very small indeed.

So please could you, more experienced builders share your thoughts? What is the ideal thickness of foam in regard of the internal dimensions? What is acceptable?
    Should I find a thinner foam? I think I've seen a variety of 25 - 30 mm. Would that be OK?
    Thanks
  • rick844
    • Jun 2019

I could be way off, but from what I've seen, it's more of a volume thing more so than an air flow thing. At least with internally sealed cabinets that is. The pros here will speak with better and more experience than I, but I think if you follow the recommended materials, you'll be fine.

Comment

• borsuk
      • Apr 2018

Originally posted by rick844
      I think if you follow the recommended materials, you'll be fine.
      Well, I'd like to, but there's no thickness specified.

I went to check the Parts Express Amiga kit and saw they include "Sonic Barrier 1/2" Acoustic Foam". It's just flat foam. So 1/2" could be fine, my foam is 2".

I understand that with sealed cabinet it's not about airflow. But in ported cabinet near to the port ... not sure.
      I also did some research on internet and found a consensus that the spikes in convoluted foam do almost nothing to kill standing waves and also that foam is not the best material for it either. Maybe I go and find some kind of felt or similar material?
      The worst thing about it is that I can't experiment as I decided to make the cabinet without removable baffle, so once I apply the lining and glue up the cabinets they are done. No second chance

Comment

• rick844
        • Jun 2019

Menescus will provide pyramid foam or you can get it online from amazon. Only stuff I've used was with that kit and it was thin in the valleys but the peaks were an inch to 1 1/2" thick at the peaks. I misread that you didnt have a recommendation. I do recommend reaching out to the speaker designer if possible to clarify the desired amount.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"