Vifa D26CN56-06 suitable replacement for Vifa D26CN55-06?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scareurpasenger
    • Jan 2017

Vifa D26CN56-06 suitable replacement for Vifa D26CN55-06?

From what I have read, I see that this is a minor improvement upon the Vifa D26CN55-06 but cannot confirm this since I am not that knowledgable. I would love to build a Modula neoD CC.

Thanks in advance!
  • 1Michael
    • Sep 2006

It would not be a suitable replacement unless the specifications were the same...
    Michael
    Chesapeake Va.

Comment

• Scareurpasenger
      • Jan 2017

My understanding is there are some that are close enough, I just don't know what that is.

D26NC56-06.pdf
      D26NC55-06.pdf

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

I dug up both data sheets, and they are pretty close in some key regards- impedance curve, and the general response from 3kHz and up. But the 56 has a somewhat more rising response above 7 kHz on axis, though the off axis behavior looks pretty similar at 30 degrees.

The only reasonably practical way to assess this would be to buy a pair from PE, get test data, and see what happens when I drop them into the original NeoD crossover circuit, either in LspCAD or in VituixCAD, and re-enter the design into that.

The original set were given to one of my daughter's cousins, a guy who is a partial paraplegic due to a diving accident, so I don't have the speakers around.

Funny, I could even update the design (possibly) with the Dayton Esoteric 7" woofer or the Dynavox, for those wishing to save money, and have a more modern lower distortion motor in either case. Those drivers should be in storage locally... now the only trick would be finding some time.

Dayton Audio ES180TiA-8 7" Esoteric Series Woofer 8 OhmDayton Audio's Esoteric Series is the ultimate expression of Dayton Audio’s transducer engineering knowledge and finesse. Featuring high-end materials and advanced engineering throughout, the Esoteric Series collection of drivers elevates the state of the art in driver design. Now with a flatter frequency response and smoother high frequency roll-off allowing for extended bandwidth and easier crossover integration.The ES180TiA-8 7” woofer is a technological tour de force, with a fully FEA- and Klippel-optimized design from the powerful neodymium motor assembly with dual shorting rings to the moving structure with large 3” voice coil, titanium voice coil former, and tightly woven glass fiber cone. The voice coil is edgewound using rectangular copper-coated aluminum wire (CCAW) for maximum conductor density within the magnetic gap. The motor structure has been optimized using magnetic finite element analysis (FEA) to provide a symmetrical and extended flux field along the length of the gap, to permit longer excursion beyond the traditional limits in loudspeaker motor design. Dual shorting rings reduce coil inductance by shorting eddy currents created by the coil when it moves, for greatly reduced distortion. A titanium voice coil former was chosen to transmit motor force with maximum efficiency and minimal deformation of the coil former, for supreme resolution. The woven glass fiber cone supports the high force generated by the motor assembly with less deflection than other cone materials. Even the suspension system has been Klippel-optimized for excellent linearity. The attention to detail doesn’t end there – even the voice coil leads are tethered to the black Conex spider to eliminate mechanical resonance.All of these elements combine to create a driver that breaks new ground with superb transient response and ultra-low distortion. By breaking free from established design conventions and rethinking how each part of the driver should behave, the ES180TiA-8 consistently delivers a musically accomplished performance, time after time. It works well as the woofer in a 2-way high-performance loudspeaker system, and the 8-ohm impedance makes it a natural choice for dual woofer configurations.

Dynavox LW6004PMR-NC 6-1/2" Truncated Frame WooferWith an amazing combination of value and technology, the LW6004PMR-NC is an obvious choice for use in high performance designs that won't break the bank. With smooth response from 50 to 5,000 Hz this woofer is a great choice for use in 2-way systems, allowing easy transition to most tweeters. In addition, the truncated frame design allows for much closer center-to-center spacing between drivers.Dynavox has packed a surprising amount of technology into the LW6004PMR-NC. To begin with, this driver uses a huge 3" voice coil on a vented aluminum former. The one-piece polypropylene mica composite cone/dustcap is extremely light with great damping characteristics to produce natural response. The motor on this driver uses a triple magnet design in which the magnets are set inside the massive voice coil to maximize the magnetic force on the gap. In addition, the cast aluminum frame allows ample room for the rear of the driver to breathe along with extensive voice coil and motor venting.

Let's get some of those tweeters on hand, and see how they work first...
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• nerdofnerds
          • Aug 2019

Originally posted by JonMarsh
          I dug up both data sheets, and they are pretty close in some key regards- impedance curve, and the general response from 3kHz and up. But the 56 has a somewhat more rising response above 7 kHz on axis, though the off axis behavior looks pretty similar at 30 degrees.

The only reasonably practical way to assess this would be to buy a pair from PE, get test data, and see what happens when I drop them into the original NeoD crossover circuit, either in LspCAD or in VituixCAD, and re-enter the design into that.

The original set were given to one of my daughter's cousins, a guy who is a partial paraplegic due to a diving accident, so I don't have the speakers around.

Funny, I could even update the design (possibly) with the Dayton Esoteric 7" woofer or the Dynavox, for those wishing to save money, and have a more modern lower distortion motor in either case. Those drivers should be in storage locally... now the only trick would be finding some time.

Dayton Audio ES180TiA-8 7" Esoteric Series Woofer 8 OhmDayton Audio's Esoteric Series is the ultimate expression of Dayton Audio’s transducer engineering knowledge and finesse. Featuring high-end materials and advanced engineering throughout, the Esoteric Series collection of drivers elevates the state of the art in driver design. Now with a flatter frequency response and smoother high frequency roll-off allowing for extended bandwidth and easier crossover integration.The ES180TiA-8 7” woofer is a technological tour de force, with a fully FEA- and Klippel-optimized design from the powerful neodymium motor assembly with dual shorting rings to the moving structure with large 3” voice coil, titanium voice coil former, and tightly woven glass fiber cone. The voice coil is edgewound using rectangular copper-coated aluminum wire (CCAW) for maximum conductor density within the magnetic gap. The motor structure has been optimized using magnetic finite element analysis (FEA) to provide a symmetrical and extended flux field along the length of the gap, to permit longer excursion beyond the traditional limits in loudspeaker motor design. Dual shorting rings reduce coil inductance by shorting eddy currents created by the coil when it moves, for greatly reduced distortion. A titanium voice coil former was chosen to transmit motor force with maximum efficiency and minimal deformation of the coil former, for supreme resolution. The woven glass fiber cone supports the high force generated by the motor assembly with less deflection than other cone materials. Even the suspension system has been Klippel-optimized for excellent linearity. The attention to detail doesn’t end there – even the voice coil leads are tethered to the black Conex spider to eliminate mechanical resonance.All of these elements combine to create a driver that breaks new ground with superb transient response and ultra-low distortion. By breaking free from established design conventions and rethinking how each part of the driver should behave, the ES180TiA-8 consistently delivers a musically accomplished performance, time after time. It works well as the woofer in a 2-way high-performance loudspeaker system, and the 8-ohm impedance makes it a natural choice for dual woofer configurations.

Dynavox LW6004PMR-NC 6-1/2" Truncated Frame WooferWith an amazing combination of value and technology, the LW6004PMR-NC is an obvious choice for use in high performance designs that won't break the bank. With smooth response from 50 to 5,000 Hz this woofer is a great choice for use in 2-way systems, allowing easy transition to most tweeters. In addition, the truncated frame design allows for much closer center-to-center spacing between drivers.Dynavox has packed a surprising amount of technology into the LW6004PMR-NC. To begin with, this driver uses a huge 3" voice coil on a vented aluminum former. The one-piece polypropylene mica composite cone/dustcap is extremely light with great damping characteristics to produce natural response. The motor on this driver uses a triple magnet design in which the magnets are set inside the massive voice coil to maximize the magnetic force on the gap. In addition, the cast aluminum frame allows ample room for the rear of the driver to breathe along with extensive voice coil and motor venting.

Let's get some of those tweeters on hand, and see how they work first...
          Not to veer off topic, but do you have measurements available for the Dynavox woofers? I have been curious about these as Newark discounts them frequently.

Comment

• Concillian
            • Dec 2007

FYI, I have basically all components to a L/R set of NeoD CC that I bought a LONG time ago and have basically found myself "too busy" to finish the cabinets for a decade or so. I may have cannibalized some of the XO components here and there, but I definitely have all the original drivers for the design. At this point if I ever build something it will have to be very different due to WAF changes. If you need the tweeters, or any / all components to it, let me know or they'll just end up rotting in my garage.

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by nerdofnerds
              Not to veer off topic, but do you have measurements available for the Dynavox woofers? I have been curious about these as Newark discounts them frequently.

That's on my list of things to do that have't gotten done, yet... that list is a long as my arm, and my free time has been about the length of my palm...

It's painful because in a lot of cases I've gotten as far along as building test enclosures but not yet mounting drivers- right now the big push is in the Duelund configuration crossover setup for the Ardent D, with the RS52 and DA25, and some derivative speakers using different woofers, including for possible CC configurations with either 6" or 7" Anarchy woofers (all on hand...)

It's easy to order stuff, takes more work to build and test things!
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
              Obi-Wan
              Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"