Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rolex
    • Mar 2005

Small speaker suggestions

I’ve been itching to build some really small speakers. I’ve got most of the parts for Paul Carmody’s Speedster, but I’ve built them a few times. I see that SB Acoustics has a Micro C kit that looks intriguing. Jeff Bagby also did the Piccolo for Meniscus that might be worthy, along with the P215 from CSS.

These will be used for misc. things - maybe in my desk, maybe out in the deck when we have a fire in the backyard. I’ve got a reference 3 way I use every day with illuminator drivers and beryllium tweeter, I’m just looking for something small and real portable. Power isn’t relevant, cause I don’t have a little amp yet. Any thoughts or different designs I should consider?
  • Garyf52
    • Feb 2015

Here is one for you to look at.

I built the Lithium, by Scott Sehlin and I think they are a great desktop speaker. Not expensive at all.
    Speakers I've built.
    Classix II & Core 2way
    Tributes
    Seas CA18RLY-22TAFG
    Subwoofer

Comment

• dwk
      • Apr 2005

How small is small? Jeff B also did the Revolution Mini / Mini BE which look very interesting. They're probably 7L though, so I'd call them "not tiny".

Comment

• oneplustwo
        • Jan 2010

Have you run across the CJD RS150?

I built a pair a while back. https://www.bonnieandjason.com/2012/...speaker-build/

Here’s the original thread I think.
        Zaph SR-71
        Zaph ZDT 3.5
        Sunflower Redux
        12" Dayton HF sub
        CJD RS 150 MT
        Revelator bookshelf
        2x12 Guitar cab
        Corner loaded line array

Comment

• Mudjock
          • Sep 2005

If you have most of the parts for the Speedster, you might consider the Rhodium project. Not as much bass as my Lithium, but more refined and even smaller than the Speedster or Lithium.
          Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out...

https://sites.google.com/view/sehlin...solutions/home

Comment

• Rolex
            • Mar 2005

I wasn’t able to find the Rhodium. Do you have a link for the build?

Comment

• Mudjock
              • Sep 2005

I hadn't posted here in quite a while, so didn't have a link to my website in my signature. That should be fixed now.

Comment

• Rolex
                • Mar 2005

Thanks, I’m pretty intrigued by that little SB woofer. I might just have to give it a try. At $28 it’s really inexpensive. I’m not crazy about the odd shaped frame, but it’s not the first time I’ve recessed an odd shape.

Any issue if I got with larger round overs on the cabinet?

Comment

• Mudjock
                  • Sep 2005

I think you could get away with roundovers up to about 1/2" radius. You would have to increase the overall cabinet width a bit in that case. My sidewalls were 3/8" bamboo. If you went to 1/2" thick sides and a 3/8" roundover, you could have the same internal volume if the cabinet were 1/4" wider. I think the net effect of being slightly wider, but a small roundover would not mess up the response too much. If I recall correctly, there was a study done that showed that roundovers less than 3/4" had relatively little acoustic impact (mostly cosmetic).

Comment

• 1Michael
                    • Sep 2006

Rolex https://sites.google.com/view/sehlin...utions/rhodium
                    Michael
                    Chesapeake Va.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"