Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Cankers!

Just a little diversion from the "serious" speaker building that takes place here.

Since I have a Raspberry Pi music streamer in my home office, but no speakers yet (got some Aperions on order), I needed something to get by on. I started with a couple cheapo 2" drivers I had in my pile o'electronics junk. But just setting them on the desk caused vibrations and poor sound quality (well, poor even by clock-radio grade 2" paper cone driver standards). So, I needed enclosures that were readily available, cheap, and could fit the drivers on hand.

Enter, the aluminum soda (or beer) can! Most of us have these kicking around, so let's build some speakers, er, Cankers!

So, let's start with our parts and tools list. You'll need:

Two 2" or 2.5" drivers, any "full range" type
    Two aluminum cans, after beverage has been consumed or otherwise removed
    Can opener
    Hot glue and gun

I had soldered the wires to the drivers beforehand, so I just left them. One could drill or cut a hole in the can to run the wire through, but I didn't bother since these are just quick temporary solutions. Anyway, use the can opener to cut the top cover off the can. Position the driver over the opening (if you're using 2" drivers, they may fall in, so offset the driver so one edge touches the edge of the can). Use some hot glue to fasten the driver to the can, and to fill in the gap. Perfect sealing isn't necessary in this application, I doubt it will make much difference.

Let the glue cool, and you're done! What other DIY speakers can be built in under 10 minutes?

Presenting the Canker!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200416_112920135.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	872506
  • Steve Manning
    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Kevin P
    Just a little diversion from the "serious" speaker building that takes place here.

Since I have a Raspberry Pi music streamer in my home office, but no speakers yet (got some Aperions on order), I needed something to get by on. I started with a couple cheapo 2" drivers I had in my pile o'electronics junk. But just setting them on the desk caused vibrations and poor sound quality (well, poor even by clock-radio grade 2" paper cone driver standards). So, I needed enclosures that were readily available, cheap, and could fit the drivers on hand.

Enter, the aluminum soda (or beer) can! Most of us have these kicking around, so let's build some speakers, er, Cankers!

So, let's start with our parts and tools list. You'll need:

Two 2" or 2.5" drivers, any "full range" type
    Two aluminum cans, after beverage has been consumed or otherwise removed
    Can opener
    Hot glue and gun

I had soldered the wires to the drivers beforehand, so I just left them. One could drill or cut a hole in the can to run the wire through, but I didn't bother since these are just quick temporary solutions. Anyway, use the can opener to cut the top cover off the can. Position the driver over the opening (if you're using 2" drivers, they may fall in, so offset the driver so one edge touches the edge of the can). Use some hot glue to fasten the driver to the can, and to fill in the gap. Perfect sealing isn't necessary in this application, I doubt it will make much difference.

Let the glue cool, and you're done! What other DIY speakers can be built in under 10 minutes?

Presenting the Canker!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30176[/ATTACH]

Way cool ..... If you have enough drivers laying about, you could make a six pack.
    Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• technodanvan
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2009

Put that thing in a koozie!
      - Danny

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by technodanvan
        Put that thing in a koozie!
        LOL... actually, I could build one with a small Bluetooth receiver, amplifier, speaker plus batteries and put THAT in a koozie and use it poolside.

Comment

• Mikerodrig27
          • Feb 2015

Lol, how terrible does it sound?

Comment

• Kevin P
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Mikerodrig27
            Lol, how terrible does it sound?
            LOL, quite terrible.

I got my Aperion Intimus 4Bs yesterday and they sound infinitely better.

I wouldn't recommend Cankers for any serious music listening.

Comment

• technodanvan
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2009

With some minor modifications one could create a pair of Cankers connected by speaker wire to make a working "can on a string" communication device.
              - Danny

Comment

• Zvu
                • Oct 2013

What a great idea. My kids would love it
                Tesla; George Carlin;

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"