Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crytklmass
    • Dec 2008

diy class D amp kits

I Would like to DIY an amplifier (no special requirements) but im not sure what the difference is between these two kits. Which one will sound/perform better, does the Toroidal power supply make a difference in relation to sound/power? They are both Class D however kit A only supports 200wpc @ 4 Ohm load, I don’t believe it will support an 8 Ohm load. Kit B supports both 4 Ohm & 8 Ohm (and bridged) loads but costs slightly more. What are the pros and cons to each kit? any other amp kits I should consider under $500.

Kit A consists of the following parts: all parts via parts-express approx $300.00
    200asc Board with power: https://www.parts-express.com/icepow...9101000a24060b
    200ac Board: https://www.parts-express.com/icepow...9100fc0a24060b
    Auto On Jumper: https://www.parts-express.com/icepow...5d01210a240611
    Amplifier Case: http://www.ghentaudio.com/kit/asc200-ac200.html

500asp https://www.parts-express.com/icepow...9001040a240614 500w @ 4 Ohm, 100w @ 8 Ohm $311.52 ea

Kit B https://www.classdaudio.com/sds-250-...ifier-kit.html $325.00
    Add $100 for a case
    the SDS Series amplifiers have a balanced XLR input stage (as well as the single ended RCA inputs). The SDS also has gain control for each channel.
    BOB
  • fish fingers
    • Apr 2015

Also have a look at 3e audio 3255 based module and matching switching supply.
    Awesome sounding and well priced

Comment

• Evil Twin
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by crytklmass
      I Would like to DIY an amplifier (no special requirements) but im not sure what the difference is between these two kits. Which one will sound/perform better, does the Toroidal power supply make a difference in relation to sound/power? They are both Class D however kit A only supports 200wpc @ 4 Ohm load, I don’t believe it will support an 8 Ohm load. Kit B supports both 4 Ohm & 8 Ohm (and bridged) loads but costs slightly more. What are the pros and cons to each kit? any other amp kits I should consider under $500.

Kit A consists of the following parts: all parts via parts-express approx $300.00
      200asc Board with power: https://www.parts-express.com/icepow...9101000a24060b
      200ac Board: https://www.parts-express.com/icepow...9100fc0a24060b
      Auto On Jumper: https://www.parts-express.com/icepow...5d01210a240611
      Amplifier Case: http://www.ghentaudio.com/kit/asc200-ac200.html

500asp https://www.parts-express.com/icepow...9001040a240614 500w @ 4 Ohm, 100w @ 8 Ohm $311.52 ea

Kit B https://www.classdaudio.com/sds-250-...ifier-kit.html $325.00
      Add $100 for a case
      the SDS Series amplifiers have a balanced XLR input stage (as well as the single ended RCA inputs). The SDS also has gain control for each channel.

You will find there are various schools of thought regarding performance criteria for Class D amplifiers and available modules and components for DIY. Many on this board have experience with the Hypex modules (not sold on PE, but available through other vendors and directly from the Hypex Shop online) and Bruno Putsys's new organization, PuriFi, has reached even higher levels of performance.

I prefer both Hypex and PuriFi on a fundamental conceptual basis, because they do not give power ratings based on substantial clipping distortion. And they also sound better than most of the competition. Compare the distortion performance, particularly at high frequencies.

Additionally, your links as posted do not work, at least not this morning from the state of California... it is most advisable to check your post for correct operation, and update as needed.

This, for example, is a working link to the 500W ASP module:

ICEpower 500ASP Class D Audio Amplifier with Power Supply Module 1 x 500WICEpower 500ASP Class D Audio Amplifier with Power Supply Module 1 x 500WCreate your own 500W powered subwoofer, or active speaker system with this combination power supply amplifier board. The 500ASP amp board has a 50 VDC-bus output to power additional amp boards for active 2-way and 3- way speaker designs. The DC-bus also delivers +/- 12 volts to crossover networks and other preamp boards so you can customize your project without extra power supplies. Save money by ordering large quantities for that big production project, or order one to build a sample.Note:Requires the 326-148 ICEpower Amplifier Module 500ASP/1000ASP Wiring Harness Kitfor full stand-alone functionality (sold separately).Since ICEpower has been around for years, you'll find their power supply amp boards built into many active sound systems, powered speakers, and rack amps used by live sound professionals. That's because they know that ICEpower boards take a beating by having a higher G-force rating than most amp boards on the market. Sound engineers know that the built-in thermal overload protection keeps the amp board from overheating during cranked-up, bass thumping live concerts.ICEpower power supply amp boards are only available in the USA from Parts Express. Parts Express ships out each order the same day if placed before 4 pm EST M-F. This helps repair shops give quicker and more accurate estimate times when ordering ICEpower replacement boards. Continental USA DIYs, OEMs, and repair shops save money by eliminating international shipping cost.Note: Before wiring the amp board up, verify that the 500ASP's jumper is configured for 115 VAC or 230 VAC. A smaller 3.15A fuse is needed for 250 VAC applications.Specifications: • Wattage output: 500W RMS @ 4 ohms 0.05% THD+N, 1 kHz • Frequency response: 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz, all loads • Dynamic range: 115 dBA • Total efficiency: 81% @ 100W, 8 ohms • DC-Bus: 80 VDC @7A, 50 VDC @ 5.5A, +/-12 VDC @ 0.8A maximum • Selectable input voltage: 115/230 VAC 50/60 Hz • 115V main fuse: 6.3A 250V • 230V main fuse: 3.15A 250V • Shock: 70 G-force • Dimensions: 8" W x 6" D x 2-1/8" H. SpecificationsQ&AReviewsManuals & Resources

Note the differences...

And I verified it from the Preview pane before making this post...
      DFAL
      Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

• crytklmass
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Evil Twin
        You will find there are various schools of thought regarding performance criteria for Class D amplifiers and available modules and components for DIY. Many on this board have experience with the Hypex modules (not sold on PE, but available through other vendors and directly from the Hypex Shop online) and Bruno Putsys's new organization, PuriFi, has reached even higher levels of performance.

I prefer both Hypex and PuriFi on a fundamental conceptual basis, because they do not give power ratings based on substantial clipping distortion. And they also sound better than most of the competition. Compare the distortion performance, particularly at high frequencies.

Additionally, your links as posted do not work, at least not this morning from the state of California... it is most advisable to check your post for correct operation, and update as needed.

This, for example, is a working link to the 500W ASP module:

ICEpower 500ASP Class D Audio Amplifier with Power Supply Module 1 x 500WICEpower 500ASP Class D Audio Amplifier with Power Supply Module 1 x 500WCreate your own 500W powered subwoofer, or active speaker system with this combination power supply amplifier board. The 500ASP amp board has a 50 VDC-bus output to power additional amp boards for active 2-way and 3- way speaker designs. The DC-bus also delivers +/- 12 volts to crossover networks and other preamp boards so you can customize your project without extra power supplies. Save money by ordering large quantities for that big production project, or order one to build a sample.Note:Requires the 326-148 ICEpower Amplifier Module 500ASP/1000ASP Wiring Harness Kitfor full stand-alone functionality (sold separately).Since ICEpower has been around for years, you'll find their power supply amp boards built into many active sound systems, powered speakers, and rack amps used by live sound professionals. That's because they know that ICEpower boards take a beating by having a higher G-force rating than most amp boards on the market. Sound engineers know that the built-in thermal overload protection keeps the amp board from overheating during cranked-up, bass thumping live concerts.ICEpower power supply amp boards are only available in the USA from Parts Express. Parts Express ships out each order the same day if placed before 4 pm EST M-F. This helps repair shops give quicker and more accurate estimate times when ordering ICEpower replacement boards. Continental USA DIYs, OEMs, and repair shops save money by eliminating international shipping cost.Note: Before wiring the amp board up, verify that the 500ASP's jumper is configured for 115 VAC or 230 VAC. A smaller 3.15A fuse is needed for 250 VAC applications.Specifications: • Wattage output: 500W RMS @ 4 ohms 0.05% THD+N, 1 kHz • Frequency response: 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz, all loads • Dynamic range: 115 dBA • Total efficiency: 81% @ 100W, 8 ohms • DC-Bus: 80 VDC @7A, 50 VDC @ 5.5A, +/-12 VDC @ 0.8A maximum • Selectable input voltage: 115/230 VAC 50/60 Hz • 115V main fuse: 6.3A 250V • 230V main fuse: 3.15A 250V • Shock: 70 G-force • Dimensions: 8" W x 6" D x 2-1/8" H. SpecificationsQ&AReviewsManuals & Resources

Note the differences...

And I verified it from the Preview pane before making this post...
        New links. Not sure what happened.

ICEpower 200ASC Class D Audio Amplifier with Power Supply Module 1 x 200WThe 200ASC combines an efficient forward type power supply with a 1x 200W high quality class D amplifier. It includes a DC hanger bus for powering up to two 200AC hanger amplifiers. On its own it is therefore perfect for single channel applications such as subwoofers, bass and guitar amplifiers. Combined with 200AC hanger amplifiers, it can be used for 2- and 3-way PA speakers, studio monitors, hi-fi and home automation amplifiers.Note:Requires the 326-140 ICEpower Amplifier Module 200ASC Wiring Harness Kitfor full stand-alone functionality (sold separately).Specifications: • Wattage output: 1 x 200W @ 4 ohms 0.2% THD+N, 10-20,000 Hz • Frequency response: 10-20,000 Hz all loads • Dynamic range: 110 dBA • Total efficiency: 79% @ 200W 4 ohm • DC-Bus: 47 VDC and +/-12 VDC @ 0.4A maximum • Input voltage: 10~240 VAC 50/60 Hz • Maximum output current limit: 12.5A • Dimensions: 5.9" W x 4.25" D x 1.8" H.

I was also curious if having a toroidal power supply would be better or worse than the parts express modules?
        Eventually I would like to build Ncore modules but wanted to stay under $400 for my 1st build, then enter the rabbit hole
        BOB

Comment

• ergo
          • Mar 2005

I have had ICEpower 200ASC for several years and I consider that to be a very good sounding amplifier (especially with prices it goes for nowadays). I then built mono blocks based on Hypex Ncore NC500MP. These two are bit different in sound character and NCore perhaps has a small win overall, but ICEpower fights back strong and with some songs I do prefer that.

I'm now in process of building up Purifi 1ET400A (as evident from another chat)... Purifi, having a separate power module, allows tweaking and tuning of the sound. So this far it is clear that it is a clear improvement on prior two, but also takes more money and effort. So as a first project I would recommend going for ICEpower or NCore models where all of the modules are integrated. These can themselves rival many 1500 ... 3000EUR commercial power amps for sure.

Comment

• crytklmass
            • Dec 2008

Thanks for the reply. Maybe Ill start with the ICE power first then I'll build the Ncore. Have you had the opportunity to compare the NC400 and NC500? Just curious if they're is a reason to choose one over the other. I look forward to reading your build on the other read with the Purifi :T

Originally posted by ergo
            I have had ICEpower 200ASC for several years and I consider that to be a very good sounding amplifier (especially with prices it goes for nowadays). I then built mono blocks based on Hypex Ncore NC500MP. These two are bit different in sound character and NCore perhaps has a small win overall, but ICEpower fights back strong and with some songs I do prefer that.

I'm now in process of building up Purifi 1ET400A (as evident from another chat)... Purifi, having a separate power module, allows tweaking and tuning of the sound. So this far it is clear that it is a clear improvement on prior two, but also takes more money and effort. So as a first project I would recommend going for ICEpower or NCore models where all of the modules are integrated. These can themselves rival many 1500 ... 3000EUR commercial power amps for sure.
            BOB

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"