Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Norm
    • Mar 2011

Purifi PTT6.5W04-01A woofer group buy and design discussion

You are invited to join a North American group buy of Purifi’s groundbreaking long-stroke ultra-low-distortion PTT6.5W04-01A woofer, and optionally the matching PTT6.5PR-01A Passive Radiator I am organizing on diyaudio.com. Owing to Purifi’s policy requiring orders go to a single address this gets complex, thus the long post with details and minutia here:

Purifi's PTT6.5W04-01A woofer group buy You are invited to join a North American group buy of the Purifi’s groundbreaking long-stroke ultra-low-distortion PTT6.5W04-01A woofer, and optionally the matching PTT6.5PR-01A Passive Radiator. Owing to Purifi’s policy requiring orders go to a single...

There I also post links and description of Purifi and their PTT6.5W04-01A woofer. That driver has made its appearance here on the Interesting Drivers thread and there is quite a bit of buzz on the ‘net. Rather than repeat that allow me to describe why I have shoe horned in with my other projects to explore the PTT6.5W04-01A (for discussion let’s shorten that to PTT6.5W).

First is the distinguished individuals who have formed Purifi with deep chops on both the science + technology and business side of Hi-Fi. Second a believable explanation of how going back to first principles the team reduced distortion by tens of dBs and allowed low distortion operation at extreme excursions. Third independent measurement and listening tests report Pirifi has achieved the stated goals. Fourth it uses a paper + fibers cone, I like paper cones and the simple crossovers they often allow. Fifth is a thermal and mechanical design that reliably withstands exploring the limits of the driver. Purifi publicly states one can keep pouring on the power until the driver bangs against its stops (at somewhere beyond +-14 mm excursions!) and the driver is fine, just turn it down a bit. In my view this capability is especially valuable given the T/S parameters are set for vented enclosures so below ~30Hz the driver will be unloaded from the enclosure’s air mass. Of course all vented designs share that trait, it’s just that low distortion and air moving promises of the PTT6.5W will invite operation at high levels.

A new paragraph for my sixth reason as I feel most strongly about it. I have a passion for enabling those of us in the middle class to own Hi-Fi approaching the performance of statement level rigs. Carefully selected solutions along with some sweat equity and for a few thousands we have sound approaching the hundred thousand dollar rigs. The PTT6.5W has that potential all over it so I am in. Given it is designed for use in ½ cubic foot (15 liter) enclosures one can get it up and running with a simple flat pack box from Parts Express. From there you are only limited by your imagination. For example the PTT6.5W just begs to be put into one of Steve Manning’s SMJ Audio Calliope MT enclosures.

If I have peaked your curiosity to hear these as an early adopter click the link and check it out.
  • Paul Ebert
    • May 2004

I am considering getting a pair of these for my "last build" for myself. I have already purchased Transducer Lab N26MGR-As for the tweeters (though, if I had to do it over, I might choose Bliesmas instead). These would cover the midrange and I'd probably use CSS SDX10s as the woofers. I'd prefer to use a smaller driver for the mid, but I think the TL can go low enough to be okay. One idea I've had is to use them open baffle. If I did so, would the large excursion be of benefit? I'd probably cross them over to the SDX10s somewhere between 100 and 200 hz.

I'd be interested in any thoughts on this set of drivers.

Comment

• Evil Twin
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

It depends on how low you push the "midrange" open baffle, and how much EQ is needed, but dipole or cardioid always increases the excursion requirements on the midwoofer and will tend to expose the kind of intermodulation issues which the PTT6.5W04-01A is intended to solve.

I already have 8 on order for a project development for Steve Manning... if the sensitivity were higher, it would be considered for another project, too, which DOES use the SDX10 for the low bass. With it's XBL2 motor structure, this is a good driver choice for music systems.
      DFAL
      Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

• 5th element
        Supreme Being Moderator
        • Sep 2009

It's funny you should mention open baffles because that's where my mind immediately went. All that linear excursion would make for an excellent lower midrange driver in one of those designs with even narrower baffles and something like a 10f doing upper midrange.

As to the maximum SPL the Purifi would be capable of, only simulation will provide you with a good estimate. It'll probably require a decent amount of power to cleanly hit Xmax though.

Larger drivers are apparently in the works.
        What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
        5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
        Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• Paul Ebert
          • May 2004

I haven't done any open baffle modeling in over a decade. What are the best tools for doing so these days?

Does anyone have a distortion measurement of the SDX10?

Comment

• Paul Ebert
            • May 2004

Originally posted by 5th element
            Any further info (links)?

Comment

• Bear
              Super Senior Member
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by 5th element
              It's funny you should mention open baffles because that's where my mind immediately went. All that linear excursion would make for an excellent lower midrange driver in one of those designs with even narrower baffles and something like a 10f doing upper midrange.

As to the maximum SPL the Purifi would be capable of, only simulation will provide you with a good estimate. It'll probably require a decent amount of power to cleanly hit Xmax though.

The sims I did using factory data make the power handling look a bit optimistic given the suggested tuning in the 30s.
              Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"