Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • snmhanson
    • Jun 2010

Replacement Mid for circa 2010 Statement Monitors

I built a pair of Statement Monitors sometime around 2010. I am going to re-veneer them, but in going over them I also noticed that one of the mid drivers are a bit banged up and I would like to replace it. I believe the Statements used Tangband W4-1337SA mids during that time but it looks like they aren't available anymore. Would the SD be a drop in replacement or would it take some reworking of the crossover? If not a drop in any idea where I can find the SAs still? Also, any idea if the aesthetics are the same or should I purchase two so that each side matches.

I should also mention that I built a sealed Statement center as well which has two of the Tangband W5-1337SAs in it. If the SDs won't drop into the Monitors, maybe they would be a direct drop-in for the center and then I could use those for the monitors?

I love the speakers and just want to get them back to snuff.

Thanks for any help!

Matt
  • Jim Holtz
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by snmhanson
    I built a pair of Statement Monitors sometime around 2010. I am going to re-veneer them, but in going over them I also noticed that one of the mid drivers are a bit banged up and I would like to replace it. I believe the Statements used Tangband W4-1337SA mids during that time but it looks like they aren't available anymore. Would the SD be a drop in replacement or would it take some reworking of the crossover? If not a drop in any idea where I can find the SAs still? Also, any idea if the aesthetics are the same or should I purchase two so that each side matches.

I should also mention that I built a sealed Statement center as well which has two of the Tangband W5-1337SAs in it. If the SDs won't drop into the Monitors, maybe they would be a direct drop-in for the center and then I could use those for the monitors?

I love the speakers and just want to get them back to snuff.

Thanks for any help!

Matt
    Hi Matt,

Check with Mark at Meniscus. They still offer the Statements Monitors as a kit with the W4-1337SD so I think he can tell you if there's any differences. I'm guessing they're a drop in but he can tell you for sure.

HTH

Jim

Comment

• snmhanson
      • Jun 2010

Thanks Jim - I will reach out to Mark and order from them.

Matt

Comment

• snmhanson
        • Jun 2010

Thanks again for the reply here. I called Mark and he said that it should be a direct replacement - just in case anyone else falls upon this thread that has the same question.

One more question maybe someone can help me with. I have a total of 4 of the Tang Band mid drivers in various speakers. As described above, two of them have a couple small dents/creases towards the middle around the dust cap. Not sure exactly how or when they got there and they are not very big but easily seen from within 5-6 feet away. Will this noticeably impact the performance of the drivers? I don't necissarily notice anything while listening to them - but that doesn't mean they are not affected. Just trying to decide if I should spend the money on new mids or if it would just be a waste and not improve sounds quality. All else being equal I'd much rather put the money towards another new speaker project if it wouldn't make any difference.

Thanks!

Matt

Comment

• 1Michael
          • Sep 2006

If you can't hear anything funky I would not replace them.
          Michael
          Chesapeake Va.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"