Great Scott! Retro Audio Rulz! Back to the Future, or Forward to the Past?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Great Scott! Retro Audio Rulz! Back to the Future, or Forward to the Past?

After working far too hard this summer and year, one thing I've concluded is that it's time to do some things just for the pure fun of it!

What's really puzzling how some recent inspirations seem like rediscovering things done ages ago... literally decades!

I really have been questioning myself about posting about some of this stuff, seems like it could be early dementia sets in- and in this day and age, we have more than enough of crazy going around for all of us!

Click image for larger version

Name:	5-As-Good-As-It-Gets-quotes.gif
Views:	2
Size:	498.1 KB
ID:	872364

But it's almost like re-living my parts of my mis-spent youth...

Here's one example... a new woofer system design, based on one I did in the early 90's for Thomas Waale, using Audax Pro woofers. Heres an updated version modeled in VituixCAD, and driver is on the way to build one... have refined the design mathematics, and this is just about the perfect driver for doing what I specifically want here...

tip of the hat to Kimmo for being able to model this in what seems to be an accurate fashion in VituixCAD.

Name:	Janus W1 B&C 15nW100 Target 7-23.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	872365

As you can see from the info pane, -3dB point is 26 Hz. Not an HT sub, but fairly compact and killer for music. Bandpass enclosures get a bad rep for what people do with them in car audio, cranking up the gain, narrowing the bandwidth, and having tolerating a lot of ripple in the response and really crummy transient response in order to play loud and louder... but as I started to figure out in the 70's, there are some interesting things you can do with them with the right driver and approach. Oh, and up to 107 dB with just 100W. But it takes a rather different set of driver parameters...

Here's something else that's been coming together in a remarkably brief period of time- like last week? having some right bits lying around, and stumbling on something new to make something old...

Note the system sensitivity- a 2.5 way could improve it another 3 dB and of course increase the acoustical output capability. But it would also make it much larger. The Satori woofer as measured is in just 1 cu ft. Two cu ft is about ideal for a ported setup. But 4 cu ft for two, i.e., 100L, does start to get a bit largish for a condo, where I'll be the next 18 months.

I should redo the driver measurements- they were done at different times with different angle increments, and the only ones that lined up were 0 deg and 30 deg. Things look pretty righteous out to 45 of axis, but then that's what you should get with a constant directivity horn and the right driver. Try to guess the crossover frequency.

HD is very low- the HF sensitivity is about 107 dB, and rated power handling is 200W. And this combo goes for about the same bucks as a premium dome tweeter. I would have killed to have these in my PA system back in the early 70's. Titanium diaphragm Neo magnet compression drivers from B&C.

Name:	MX Monitor Power-DI.jpg
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	872366

Impedance curve - could be driven by a broken transistor radio, I think...

Name:	MX Monitor Impedance.jpg
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	872367

The give away of the test setup last week for driver measurements, but note there is a new waveguide already in development at SMJ... Will post the crossover as soon as I have the parts and know it actually works like the simulation!

Name:	IMG_5203.jpg
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	872368
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....
  • rick844
    • Jun 2019

Nice job putting this together. I would be lying if I said I understood it all, but I do get the point. I noticed you said it's not a ht sub, so it makes me wonder, what ht sub would you do (or do again) to fill a room that is 15 by 25? Form factor desired is less than 36 inches cubed. I have a 1000 watt pro amp. Looking to replace an existing ported 15 inch sub enclosure that does not pass the WAF.

Comment

• Zvu
      • Oct 2013

I love threads like this

Originally posted by JonMarsh
      .... Try to guess the crossover frequency....
      Around 1000Hz ?
      Tesla; George Carlin;

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Zvu
        I love threads like this

Around 1000Hz ?

Very close- 1200Hz!

About LR6 on the woofer, to keep the stuff higher up down in level, and Lr4 for the compression driver. Not quite a Harsch alignment, though that's something I'm going to look at also as an alternative, given the step back of the compression driver relative to the woofer. that might work better with a pair of Accuton AS190, but then THAT wouldn't be Retro! But I should investigate it, because developing transient perfect loudspeakers IS very retro- first one around 1978. Then the primary measurement tool is an oscilloscope! And that's certainly Retro!

Just 'cause it looks retro doesn't mean it has to have a fully retro technology approach.

The current networkignore the text about 2200Hz, that was left over from the file I started with for the development)

Name:	WO24P-4 BC990TN TwoWay XOVER.jpg
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	864453

Name:	MX Monitor Filter.jpg
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	864451

BTW, the driver is the relatively new (at PE, anyway) B&C DE990TN. It's kind of like a big brother and later development than parts like the DE500 that Geddes has used for his waveguides.

The design elves at SMJ have already been busy with their Fusion360 efforts (That's not Retro, either!)

Name:	kcjaabgockjcploi.jpg
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	864452
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Obi-Wan
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Zvu
          • Oct 2013

Old goals acomplished by new means - i love the idea.

It seemes that 3D printers will become obligatory tool in workshops in a few years. It makes development way faster.
          Tesla; George Carlin;

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by rick844
            Nice job putting this together. I would be lying if I said I understood it all, but I do get the point. I noticed you said it's not a ht sub, so it makes me wonder, what ht sub would you do (or do again) to fill a room that is 15 by 25? Form factor desired is less than 36 inches cubed. I have a 1000 watt pro amp. Looking to replace an existing ported 15 inch sub enclosure that does not pass the WAF.
            Rick, I hear you- and let me share a few thoughts first.

What is a music sub or an HT sub is sort of relative... my girlfriend Beverly, who passed away in January of 2018 from pancreatic cancer, had this tiny little Sony "HT" sub with an 8" woofer and I seriously doubt it could make 40 Hz at any significant level. But it had more low end than the mains and surrounds. At least she had those in a good location, up in the corners near the ceiling of this 35 x 25 ft room, with an arched high ceiling.

So, what I did for her was a Dayton UM15...

Dayton Audio UM15-22 15" Ultimax DVC Subwoofer 2 ohms Per CoilDayton Audio UM15-22 15" Ultimax DVC SubwooferExperience the Apex of Subwoofer DesignThe Ultimax Series of dual voice coil subwoofers, from Dayton Audio, are not for the faint of heart. Built using the latest in subwoofer technology, Ultimax subwoofers are the pinnacle of low frequency driver design. An Ultimax subwoofer tests the strength of your foundation with fast, articulate, gut-wrenching bass.Key Specs:Nominal Diameter: 15"Power Handling (RMS): 800WPower Handling (MAX): 1,600WImpedance: 4ΩFrequency Response: 20 - 500 HzSensitivity: 89.1 dB 2.83V/1mVoice Coil Diameter: 2.5"Maximum Linear Excursion: 19mmDownload SpecsView Full SpecsWe've Got Your BackWe stand behind our products and our warranty is a demonstration of our commitment to quality and reliability.Learn MoreBuilt To Move Some AirTo improve power handling, increase thermal management, and reduce power compression, Dayton Audio designed the Ultimax Series with large black anodized formers and vented pole pieces, under-spider ventilation, and two-layer copper voice coils.Over 1-1/2" of travel (3/4" Xmax) is kept completely linear through the use of dual spiders that also limit distortion and rocking modes. "Tall-boy" rubber surrounds with integrated gaskets maintain driver surface area during extreme excursion moments. Thick, one-piece Nomex honeycomb covered cones are covered with woven, heavy-duty glass fibers creating ultra-still cones that resist deformation.Industry Leading Motor StrengthA large copper sleeve and copper pole cap in the motor reduce energy storage from inductance, with the side benefit of lowering distortion for "faster" response. Large dual-stacked, high-energy magnets handle the heavy lifting and bring Qts down to a level where Ultimax subwoofers can be used in vented or sealed cabinets and enclosures.Unmatched VersatilityDual 2 ohm voice coils allow for stereo 2 ohm and mono 1 ohm wiring configurations when connecting to high current car audio and professional audio amplifiers to extract maximum power. For home audio applications, simply wire the voice coils in series for a benign 4 ohm load for greater amplifier compatibility.Feel Maximum Power On The RoadThe Ultimax UM15-22 15" Subwoofer delivers more than enough power to rock the road ways. The sub is a perfect pick to add massive low end to your mobile audio speaker build. If you are looking for fast, articulate bass that really fills your car, look no further than the UM15-22. Build Your Own Personal CinemaBuild by Nikolai L.Not only is the UM15-22 great for car audio, it fits perfectly at home in your theater or listening room. The detailed response and low end strength lets you feel the rumble in your movies and gives you a concert-like music listening experience. Cabinet Recommendations:Sealed: 3.8 cubic ft. (net internal, not including driver volume) with 3 lbs. of Acousta-Stuf polyfill produces an f3 of 34 Hz with a 0.83 Qtc alignmentVented: 4.5 cubic ft. (net internal, not including driver or port volume) produces an f3 of 24 Hz. Larger cabinets and lower tuning frequencies are possible.Build by Aaron W.Shop the Whole Ultimax SeriesUM18-22 18"Nominal Diameter: 18" Frequency Response: 19-500Hz Shop 18"UM12-22 12"Nominal Diameter: 12" Frequency Response: 20-1,000HzShop 12"UM10-22 10"Nominal Diameter: 10" Frequency Response: 25-1,000HzShop 10"UM8-22 8"Nominal Diameter: 8" Frequency Response: 30-800HzShop 8"Shop All Ultimax Drivers and KitsLearn MoreRequest QuoteThe Dayton Audio UM15-22 Is Used In The Following KitsDayton Audio 15" Ultimax Subwoofer and Cabinet BundleBuild one of the most powerful subwoofers you'll ever experience using this precision-cut, CNC-machined subwoofer cabinet and the Dayton Audio UM15-22 15" subwoofer. Save over $30 off the original retail price when you order this bundleBuild Your Own 15" SubwooferAdditional ResourcesWe pride ourselves on being an authority in the speaker building and DIY community. With over 60 years of combined engineering experience, our team of engineers is here to help with your build. Below are some useful tools to get you started. Learn More At The Resource Center SpecificationsQ&AReviewsManuals & Resources

In a Denovo knock down cabinet

Denovo Audio Knock-Down MDF 3.0 cu. ft. Cubic Foot Subwoofer CabinetEven the easiest do-it-yourself subwoofer can turn into an arduous project; from uneven cuts, to measuring mistakes. CNC knock-down cabinets make it easy for the beginner to end up with amazing finished results without all of the time and effort necessary to perfect your woodworking skills. This cabinet is designed for speaker builders and designers who don't have access to expensive tools or a woodshop.During the CNC manufacturing process, rabbets dadoes are cut into the back panel for precise panel alignment. A unique two-piece brace adds superior rigidity without affecting the subwoofer's performance. Both side panels feature 3/4" rabbeted extensions with recesses to perfectly install the first piece of the two-part, double thick baffle. Plate amplifier installation is made easy by following the scribed interior guide with a jig saw and by modifying one of the braces.Specifications: • Panel thickness: 3/4", front baffle is 1-1/2" • Panel material: Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF) • Finished net cabinet volume (subtracting the double thick baffle, bracing, and estimated woofer volume): 3.0 cubic feet • External dimensions: 19.25" H x 19.25" W x 20" D • Weight: 52 lbs. • Made in the U.S.A.

That I veneered and made pretty (relatively) for her, with a Hypex DS 8.0 sub plate amp, which did the job nicely.

Name:	41zIFLM9k7L._SR600,315_PIWhiteStrip,BottomLeft,0,35_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	864454

Now, it sounds like you had a fairly high end HT setup- and you know, even 10 years ago people were talking about how it takes 7.5Hz to reproduce some of the stuff on the U505 movie. Generally, I'd say a higher end HT setup target is about 10-12 Hz at least. Do you agree?

It's actually hard to do that with a ported or PR setup, because ported rolls off at 24 dB/octave and has a limited reinforcement range- PR rolls off at 36 dB/octave. The way to go is usually an IB manifold array (think a hole in your floor that goes down to the basement with a square but long form factor, something that could mount 3 12" long throw woofers on each side- that's what Thomas Waale put into his living room (former moderator here)

So, if you tune a ported setup for 12 Hz, you have very little reinforcement at 20 Hz and above.

So, early 2018, Peerless came out with a driver that is pretty interesting. I bought a pair from Digikey, because they were the only ones that had them in stock!

Peerless by Tymphany STW-350F-188PR01-04 15" High Power SubwooferA New Generation of High Output, High Power SubwoofersThe STW-350F-188PR01-04 subwoofer from Peerless was designed with performance and space in mind. This drivers offer deep and clean low-frequency reproduction with minimal distortion at high sound pressure levels. Unlike most subwoofers, the STW-350 can be mounted in a much smaller box than traditional subwoofers, which is enabled by the low Vas, high moving mass, and huge 7.4" (188 mm) voice coil. This driver also features a unique FEA-optimized ferrite motor, extremely robust suspension, and an incredible amount of venting which provides extraordinarily low power compression even when driven with over 3,500 watts of power. This driver is built for high-quality performance and long term reliability. Note: Due to the incredible amount of venting on this driver, when used outside of an enclosure, the air turbulance generated will create audible noise. Because of this, we recommend the use of a sealed enclosure. Massive 7.4" Diameter x 2.25" Long Voice CoilWith small enclosure subwoofer design high-moving mass is necessary, but it is difficult to apply mass where it can be put to work. For the STW-350F, it was put into the voice coil – this improves the performance of the driver by raising the motor force. Unlike a conventional motor design, Bl changes very slowly as function of voice coil displacement. A voice coil with large surface area also offers another benefit – power compression is practically non-existent. Because of this, the voice coil takes longer to heat up, resulting in uncompressed dynamic musical peaks.Internal Motor DesignTo drive a high moving mass a subwoofer needs a powerful motor. In most cases a more powerful motor is achieved with a larger magnet (which increases a driver cost, size, and weight) or using a more efficient neodymium magnet (which is unstable and loses strength as the temperature increases). An additional benefit of the STW-350F's giant coil is that Peerless was able to mount a ferrite motor inside of the voice coil. Conventional motor structures with the magnet outside of the motor lose 50% of their energy in stray fields, while a magnet on the inside of the voice coil will have 90% or better magnet utilization. The STW-350's motor is the best of both worlds: reliable and efficient.Long Coil + Long Gap = High ExcursionWith an Xmax of 10.4 mm this driver might not seem all that impressive. However, Xmax is just a physical measurement and not actually the limit of linear excursion (Xmax = (Voice Coil Length - Magnetic Gap Height) / 2). The STW-350F has a remarkably long 36 mm magnetic gap with a 57 mm long voice coil. Thanks to such extreme dimensions and a well controlled magnetic field, this driver is capable of 45.5 mm of excursion before any major loss in motor strength (Bl). In other words, this driver is capable of 90 mm (3.5") peak to peak excursion while still producing low distortion output. Front and Rear Mounting PointsDue to the weight and extreme force that the STW-350F is capable of, Tymphany included rear mounting points on the back side of the frame. By attaching the rear of the frame to a brace in an enclosure, the baffle will be solidly tied to the sides walls increasing the rigidity of the enclosure while helping to support the overall weight of the STW-350F. These threaded holes accept M6 x 30 screws.Note: Specifications below are measured with voice coils wired in parallel SpecificationsQ&AReviewsManuals & Resources

Take a look at it. Designed to play very low, very loud, and handle EQ for output extension in a smallish enclosure.

Because of all the upheaval in my personal situation and work situation, I haven't worked out what I'll do with the two I bought... and they're in climate controlled storage in Idaho, while I'm still working another 17 months in the SF Bay Area before I retire. When I unpacked one to look at it, I knew this was something a bit more extreme for a 15" driver.

Name:	IMG_0253.jpg
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	864455

I did some quick calculations back in 2018, and I think I got some 4 cu ft test enclosures to try out, but never got around to building them for test- it's all in storage in Idaho now. It's been 7 day weeks since mid April at work, but that is probably going to end next week. But these would demolish the condo I live in for now!

I'll run some numbers and see how they model and get back to you... might be interesting. Certainly can do something much smaller for you, and you say you already have a kilowatt amp- you'll need it!
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Obi-Wan
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Hmmm, for the 2.5 way, imagine running two of the Satori WO24P-8 sealed, in just 2 cu ft- OK down to 55 or so, as you can see...

And setting that on tope of the bandpass woofer, which would have the driver vertical and the port firing down to the floor.... sensitivity should be good.

And to keep going retro, let's throw in another classic idea- Low Power Class A mono blocks.

With a modern twist, of course.

Pass Amp Camp. In balanced mono block configuration, 16W each .

Name:	IMG_7428_1024x1024-2.jpg
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	864456

OK, admit it, I know you saw it coming....

And I have a couple of these on the shelf waiting to be put together.

2010 was Summer Camp for the first Gen Ardent, maybe I can find some weekend time in August for Amp Camp Time!
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Obi-Wan
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• rick844
                • Jun 2019

What is a music sub or an HT sub is sort of relative... my girlfriend Beverly, who passed away in January of 2018 from pancreatic cancer, had this tiny little Sony "HT" sub with an 8" woofer and I seriously doubt it could make 40 Hz at any significant level. But it had more low end than the mains and surrounds. At least she had those in a good location, up in the corners near the ceiling of this 35 x 25 ft room, with an arched high ceiling.

Dayton Audio UM15-22 15" Ultimax DVC Subwoofer 2 ohms Per CoilDayton Audio UM15-22 15" Ultimax DVC SubwooferExperience the Apex of Subwoofer DesignThe Ultimax Series of dual voice coil subwoofers, from Dayton Audio, are not for the faint of heart. Built using the latest in subwoofer technology, Ultimax subwoofers are the pinnacle of low frequency driver design. An Ultimax subwoofer tests the strength of your foundation with fast, articulate, gut-wrenching bass.Key Specs:Nominal Diameter: 15"Power Handling (RMS): 800WPower Handling (MAX): 1,600WImpedance: 4ΩFrequency Response: 20 - 500 HzSensitivity: 89.1 dB 2.83V/1mVoice Coil Diameter: 2.5"Maximum Linear Excursion: 19mmDownload SpecsView Full SpecsWe've Got Your BackWe stand behind our products and our warranty is a demonstration of our commitment to quality and reliability.Learn MoreBuilt To Move Some AirTo improve power handling, increase thermal management, and reduce power compression, Dayton Audio designed the Ultimax Series with large black anodized formers and vented pole pieces, under-spider ventilation, and two-layer copper voice coils.Over 1-1/2" of travel (3/4" Xmax) is kept completely linear through the use of dual spiders that also limit distortion and rocking modes. "Tall-boy" rubber surrounds with integrated gaskets maintain driver surface area during extreme excursion moments. Thick, one-piece Nomex honeycomb covered cones are covered with woven, heavy-duty glass fibers creating ultra-still cones that resist deformation.Industry Leading Motor StrengthA large copper sleeve and copper pole cap in the motor reduce energy storage from inductance, with the side benefit of lowering distortion for "faster" response. Large dual-stacked, high-energy magnets handle the heavy lifting and bring Qts down to a level where Ultimax subwoofers can be used in vented or sealed cabinets and enclosures.Unmatched VersatilityDual 2 ohm voice coils allow for stereo 2 ohm and mono 1 ohm wiring configurations when connecting to high current car audio and professional audio amplifiers to extract maximum power. For home audio applications, simply wire the voice coils in series for a benign 4 ohm load for greater amplifier compatibility.Feel Maximum Power On The RoadThe Ultimax UM15-22 15" Subwoofer delivers more than enough power to rock the road ways. The sub is a perfect pick to add massive low end to your mobile audio speaker build. If you are looking for fast, articulate bass that really fills your car, look no further than the UM15-22. Build Your Own Personal CinemaBuild by Nikolai L.Not only is the UM15-22 great for car audio, it fits perfectly at home in your theater or listening room. The detailed response and low end strength lets you feel the rumble in your movies and gives you a concert-like music listening experience. Cabinet Recommendations:Sealed: 3.8 cubic ft. (net internal, not including driver volume) with 3 lbs. of Acousta-Stuf polyfill produces an f3 of 34 Hz with a 0.83 Qtc alignmentVented: 4.5 cubic ft. (net internal, not including driver or port volume) produces an f3 of 24 Hz. Larger cabinets and lower tuning frequencies are possible.Build by Aaron W.Shop the Whole Ultimax SeriesUM18-22 18"Nominal Diameter: 18" Frequency Response: 19-500Hz Shop 18"UM12-22 12"Nominal Diameter: 12" Frequency Response: 20-1,000HzShop 12"UM10-22 10"Nominal Diameter: 10" Frequency Response: 25-1,000HzShop 10"UM8-22 8"Nominal Diameter: 8" Frequency Response: 30-800HzShop 8"Shop All Ultimax Drivers and KitsLearn MoreRequest QuoteThe Dayton Audio UM15-22 Is Used In The Following KitsDayton Audio 15" Ultimax Subwoofer and Cabinet BundleBuild one of the most powerful subwoofers you'll ever experience using this precision-cut, CNC-machined subwoofer cabinet and the Dayton Audio UM15-22 15" subwoofer. Save over $30 off the original retail price when you order this bundleBuild Your Own 15" SubwooferAdditional ResourcesWe pride ourselves on being an authority in the speaker building and DIY community. With over 60 years of combined engineering experience, our team of engineers is here to help with your build. Below are some useful tools to get you started. Learn More At The Resource Center SpecificationsQ&AReviewsManuals & Resources

Denovo Audio Knock-Down MDF 3.0 cu. ft. Cubic Foot Subwoofer CabinetEven the easiest do-it-yourself subwoofer can turn into an arduous project; from uneven cuts, to measuring mistakes. CNC knock-down cabinets make it easy for the beginner to end up with amazing finished results without all of the time and effort necessary to perfect your woodworking skills. This cabinet is designed for speaker builders and designers who don't have access to expensive tools or a woodshop.During the CNC manufacturing process, rabbets dadoes are cut into the back panel for precise panel alignment. A unique two-piece brace adds superior rigidity without affecting the subwoofer's performance. Both side panels feature 3/4" rabbeted extensions with recesses to perfectly install the first piece of the two-part, double thick baffle. Plate amplifier installation is made easy by following the scribed interior guide with a jig saw and by modifying one of the braces.Specifications: • Panel thickness: 3/4", front baffle is 1-1/2" • Panel material: Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF) • Finished net cabinet volume (subtracting the double thick baffle, bracing, and estimated woofer volume): 3.0 cubic feet • External dimensions: 19.25" H x 19.25" W x 20" D • Weight: 52 lbs. • Made in the U.S.A.

That I veneered and made pretty (relatively) for her, with a Hypex DS 8.0 sub plate amp, which did the job nicely.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29575[/ATTACH]

Now, it sounds like you had a fairly high end HT setup- and you know, even 10 years ago people were talking about how it takes 7.5Hz to reproduce some of the stuff on the U505 movie. Generally, I'd say a higher end HT setup target is about 10-12 Hz at least. Do you agree?

It's actually hard to do that with a ported or PR setup, because ported rolls off at 24 dB/octave and has a limited reinforcement range- PR rolls off at 36 dB/octave. The way to go is usually an IB manifold array (think a hole in your floor that goes down to the basement with a square but long form factor, something that could mount 3 12" long throw woofers on each side- that's what Thomas Waale put into his living room (former moderator here)

So, if you tune a ported setup for 12 Hz, you have very little reinforcement at 20 Hz and above.

So, early 2018, Peerless came out with a driver that is pretty interesting. I bought a pair from Digikey, because they were the only ones that had them in stock!

Peerless by Tymphany STW-350F-188PR01-04 15" High Power SubwooferA New Generation of High Output, High Power SubwoofersThe STW-350F-188PR01-04 subwoofer from Peerless was designed with performance and space in mind. This drivers offer deep and clean low-frequency reproduction with minimal distortion at high sound pressure levels. Unlike most subwoofers, the STW-350 can be mounted in a much smaller box than traditional subwoofers, which is enabled by the low Vas, high moving mass, and huge 7.4" (188 mm) voice coil. This driver also features a unique FEA-optimized ferrite motor, extremely robust suspension, and an incredible amount of venting which provides extraordinarily low power compression even when driven with over 3,500 watts of power. This driver is built for high-quality performance and long term reliability. Note: Due to the incredible amount of venting on this driver, when used outside of an enclosure, the air turbulance generated will create audible noise. Because of this, we recommend the use of a sealed enclosure. Massive 7.4" Diameter x 2.25" Long Voice CoilWith small enclosure subwoofer design high-moving mass is necessary, but it is difficult to apply mass where it can be put to work. For the STW-350F, it was put into the voice coil – this improves the performance of the driver by raising the motor force. Unlike a conventional motor design, Bl changes very slowly as function of voice coil displacement. A voice coil with large surface area also offers another benefit – power compression is practically non-existent. Because of this, the voice coil takes longer to heat up, resulting in uncompressed dynamic musical peaks.Internal Motor DesignTo drive a high moving mass a subwoofer needs a powerful motor. In most cases a more powerful motor is achieved with a larger magnet (which increases a driver cost, size, and weight) or using a more efficient neodymium magnet (which is unstable and loses strength as the temperature increases). An additional benefit of the STW-350F's giant coil is that Peerless was able to mount a ferrite motor inside of the voice coil. Conventional motor structures with the magnet outside of the motor lose 50% of their energy in stray fields, while a magnet on the inside of the voice coil will have 90% or better magnet utilization. The STW-350's motor is the best of both worlds: reliable and efficient.Long Coil + Long Gap = High ExcursionWith an Xmax of 10.4 mm this driver might not seem all that impressive. However, Xmax is just a physical measurement and not actually the limit of linear excursion (Xmax = (Voice Coil Length - Magnetic Gap Height) / 2). The STW-350F has a remarkably long 36 mm magnetic gap with a 57 mm long voice coil. Thanks to such extreme dimensions and a well controlled magnetic field, this driver is capable of 45.5 mm of excursion before any major loss in motor strength (Bl). In other words, this driver is capable of 90 mm (3.5") peak to peak excursion while still producing low distortion output. Front and Rear Mounting PointsDue to the weight and extreme force that the STW-350F is capable of, Tymphany included rear mounting points on the back side of the frame. By attaching the rear of the frame to a brace in an enclosure, the baffle will be solidly tied to the sides walls increasing the rigidity of the enclosure while helping to support the overall weight of the STW-350F. These threaded holes accept M6 x 30 screws.Note: Specifications below are measured with voice coils wired in parallel SpecificationsQ&AReviewsManuals & Resources

Take a look at it. Designed to play very low, very loud, and handle EQ for output extension in a smallish enclosure.

Because of all the upheaval in my personal situation and work situation, I haven't worked out what I'll do with the two I bought... and they're in climate controlled storage in Idaho, while I'm still working another 17 months in the SF Bay Area before I retire. When I unpacked one to look at it, I knew this was something a bit more extreme for a 15" driver.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29576[/ATTACH]

I did some quick calculations back in 2018, and I think I got some 4 cu ft test enclosures to try out, but never got around to building them for test- it's all in storage in Idaho now. It's been 7 day weeks since mid April at work, but that is probably going to end next week. But these would demolish the condo I live in for now!

I'll run some numbers and see how they model and get back to you... might be interesting. Certainly can do something much smaller for you, and you say you already have a kilowatt amp- you'll need it!
                Wow, very educational. Yes, I would like to learn more for sure. Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

• rick844
                  • Jun 2019

Based on the specs, I might need more amp to push this thing, which is ok. Im curious to see what you come up with.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29575[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29576[/ATTACH]

Comment

• Zvu
                    • Oct 2013

Jon,

Do you plan to make the mid-hi part MTM ? That way you'd have symmetrical vertical lobe and since it will be largish system with quite low crossover point between midwoofers and tweeter it will not suffer from lobing at vertical axis.

Also, about reducing the port resonance - when i opened my LS50 i examined their flexible port. It could be done with classic BR tube by cutting windows at the flat part of BR pipe and gluing flexible material that will not leak air. Stuff Kef used is very similar to foam mouse pads only a bit thinner. As per their white paper and measurements, it absorbs part of the energy so resonance will be much lower in level. Combine that with down firing port and i think the problem is solved (if port resonance is low enough to make a problem in the first place). Hard plastic parts are there just for reinforcement so that port wouldn't change its length as the pressure builds up.

Name:	бас рефлекс цев.jpg
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	864460
                    Last edited by Zvu; 25 July 2019, 10:52 Thursday.
                    Tesla; George Carlin;

Comment

• JonMarsh
                      Mad Max Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

Interesting ideas, thanks for sharing!

I hadn't really decided on MTM versus 2.5 way, was planning to simulate both, maybe even test both, as I can easily load drivers into the 1 cu ft Denovo "subwoofer" enclosures - they're great general purpose boxes.

I expect to have a single driver MT crossover going in a week or so, if I can just find time to order the parts and see what kind of lobing issues I do have. I have both 8 ohm and 4 ohm versions of the WO24P on hand, so literally "bread boarding" an MTM design is quite feasible....

I'd like to do part of the Facebook thing with this: "Move fast and break things"

Let's leave off the breaking things part...

Steve's getting a circular waveguide/horn design together, and I just sent him some 1/2 tooling phenolic to use as the base for driver mounting- a lot of details there to work out, but in the meantime testing with the constant directivity horns should be just fine...

A "full range" MTM or 2.5 way would "need" 4 cu ft. for a good ported setup. A sealed double woofer setup would work fine in 2 cu ft., F3 of about 50Hz. Enough for a lot of program material, but actually intended to use with an active crossover. A wide range single driver is 2 cu ft; that was the first concept. A single 4 ohm driver version sealed would just need 1 cu ft net, have to allow for the woofer and horn. that could be pretty compact.

It seems like there's potential for a whole interesting family. And that's not even counting doing a studio style monitor built into the upper angle/intersection of a front wall and ceiling, down tilt, no BSC.

And an idea I have is to do the bandpass woofer setup in the new laminated style enclosure, with a downward firing port; about 18-20" wide, and 30-32" tall to give enough length for the front loaded port firing down towards the floor. 100Hz and down. One on each side as stands for the "mains". I've got a Behringer analog electronic crossover I could throw on it for quick tests.

the B&C 15NW100 driver for the first test build was ordered Monday, should be here soon.

Now, what I really need is a week off from work, which is totally not possible with the stuff that has been going down. hah, I have the reverse problem of agism- two years past retirement age, and they want me to stay on another year... or more. Old school competence I guess.
                      the AudioWorx
                      Natalie P
                      M8ta
                      Modula Neo DCC
                      Modula MT XE
                      Modula Xtreme
                      Isiris
                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                      Minerva Monitor
                      Calliope
                      Ardent D

In Development...
                      Obi-Wan
                      Modula PWB
                      Calliope CC Supreme
                      Natalie P Ultra
                      Natalie P Supreme
                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Zvu
                        • Oct 2013

I understood that you'll make 2.5 way like this - 15nw100 in band pass as 0.5 part of the system, 2xWO24P in parallel as midwoofers and B&C horn in between to keep the sensitivity of the system at its max.

Now that i've read what you wrote more carefully, i see that you are in a condo and don't need large system as that at this point.

Still, it would be interesting to try a 2.5 system with 2xWO24P and B&C DE990TN in about 60 liters in MTM configuration. Adam does something similar with their model A77X: https://www.adam-audio.com/en/ax-series/a77x/
                        Tesla; George Carlin;

Comment

• Dave Bullet
                          • Jul 2007

Jeff Bagby's Helios design had a single WO24-P in a smallish PR box matched with a waveguided Satori TW29BN - beryllium/neo dome @ ~ 1250Hz also. It's documented on the FB group DIY Loudspeaker project pad. Sadly I can't get a deep link to the project itself (thanks FB - not). I'd be happy posting a link, but not embedding actual design details here unless given permission.

PS: What CTC spacing will you end up with Jon? I can't recall lobing behaviour of various slopes in an MTM but by going steep will this allow you to avoid lobing issues or push the XO point lower given the waveguide / horn size?

What system sensitivity are you shooting for?

PS: Re work - have you thought about part time hours? Would that work for them and you? Keeps money trickling in for retirement projects and gives you time to actually do the projects!

Comment

• JonMarsh
                            Mad Max Moderator
                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Dave Bullet
                            Jeff Bagby's Helios design had a single WO24-P in a smallish PR box matched with a waveguided Satori TW29BN - beryllium/neo dome @ ~ 1250Hz also. It's documented on the FB group DIY Loudspeaker project pad. Sadly I can't get a deep link to the project itself (thanks FB - not). I'd be happy posting a link, but not embedding actual design details here unless given permission.

PS: What CTC spacing will you end up with Jon? I can't recall lobing behaviour of various slopes in an MTM but by going steep will this allow you to avoid lobing issues or push the XO point lower given the waveguide / horn size?

What system sensitivity are you shooting for?

PS: Re work - have you thought about part time hours? Would that work for them and you? Keeps money trickling in for retirement projects and gives you time to actually do the projects!

Hey Dave!

When I say 2.5 way, it's one of the WO24P acting as a .5 woofer for the BSC comp, the other one running "flat" no BSZC. So, basically below 250Hz or so it's like an MTM, but above that the 0.5 woofer is tapered off. And the main woofer has no BSC, so the level at the upper crossover point is typically 4-5 dB higher than for a typical BSC comp crossover.

Now, with a 1200Hz crossover you can do things with the size of the vertical source you wouldn't want to do with a tweeter and two mid woofers. But if I use an MTM, the total height of the source in the crossover region is on the order of 25"! So although the symmetrical lobing of an MTM is desirable, it might be more desirable to have a single roughly 12" span to deal with. Now, since I've designed a 4 ohm woofer crossover (because I have some 4 ohm WO24P-4) I can use that to test a dual woofer MTM with WO24P-8 of course. So, as long as I'm willing to do the work, I don't have to speculate about what works best.

The bandpass woofer is sort of the auxiliary bass at this point- let's call it a music sub. Done right, it's VERY flat and neutral, and has quite tight transient response. But the cabinet stuff for bandpass is pretty finicky- you have to get everything just right, so I while I have an older test cabinet to try out, I may literally make a two piece text box, because getting the front volume and the port configuration just right is a big deal. Even trying to adjust the port parameters by increasing the area and the length simultaneously can upset the apple cart in ways you don't expect. Though VitruixCAD seems to have the theoretical modeling down. SO far, very good agreement between a target design done with old MathCAD docs and modeled in VituxCAD.

But it's the real hardware that counts... That woofer is coming three day select, it should be here today, tomorrow latest. I'm giddy with anticipation!

Hopefully it will work as predicted, and there will be no impact on Earths gravitational field locally, since it is a Neo motor woofer, and is not "Heavy!".

As to system sensitivity, well, we're limited by what the WO24P can do, but a single 4 ohm isn't bad, and two 8 ohms in parallel with BSC should still put things at around 92-93 dB with care, after BSC.

What would be fun is a Studio Monitor version, in a slope cabinet set up into the ceiling/wall boundary, as no BSC would be needed, and 95dB would be feasible. Then a little Pass Amp Camp mono block could really sing! I don't think I can put one of those in here... but after I move to Idaho, I hope to have a music room for all the guitars and keyboards and the Marshall stack, and a small digital recording setup. Then we shall see what we shall see...

Another big conference call today at noon, and I think we're getting things pretty close to things being ironed out, and the management tools and goals updated. It helps that I have things like full Gant chart plans and data six ways from Sunday, and the manager is riding a trike in comparison. So I will be going back to 5 day weeks starting this weekend...

I have a potful of money in deferred income, and finishing out one more year will make that pot a bit fuller for a home purchase in Idaho.

Progress! Need to get those crossover parts ordered!
                            the AudioWorx
                            Natalie P
                            M8ta
                            Modula Neo DCC
                            Modula MT XE
                            Modula Xtreme
                            Isiris
                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                            Minerva Monitor
                            Calliope
                            Ardent D

In Development...
                            Obi-Wan
                            Modula PWB
                            Calliope CC Supreme
                            Natalie P Ultra
                            Natalie P Supreme
                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                              Mad Max Moderator
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Zvu
                              I understood that you'll make 2.5 way like this - 15nw100 in band pass as 0.5 part of the system, 2xWO24P in parallel as midwoofers and B&C horn in between to keep the sensitivity of the system at its max.

Now that i've read what you wrote more carefully, i see that you are in a condo and don't need large system as that at this point.

Still, it would be interesting to try a 2.5 system with 2xWO24P and B&C DE990TN in about 60 liters in MTM configuration. Adam does something similar with their model A77X: https://www.adam-audio.com/en/ax-series/a77x/
                              Interesting site! I'll have to look it over in more detail as soon as I have a little more time!
                              the AudioWorx
                              Natalie P
                              M8ta
                              Modula Neo DCC
                              Modula MT XE
                              Modula Xtreme
                              Isiris
                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                              Minerva Monitor
                              Calliope
                              Ardent D

In Development...
                              Obi-Wan
                              Modula PWB
                              Calliope CC Supreme
                              Natalie P Ultra
                              Natalie P Supreme
                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                Mad Max Moderator
                                • Aug 2000

About that STW-350F...

OK, I Refreshed my memory at lunchtime; I swear with the day job I have there is so much technical stuff cycling through all the time that something I looked at for speakers a year and a half ago can seem like quite a while ago...

First, here's a good capture from their technical brochure to keep in mind:

Name:	STW-350F Key data.jpg
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	864461

Part of why I got interested in this driver (besides how gnarly it looks!) is some of the off the beaten trail characteristics- some interesting tradeoffs and compromises were made in order to effect some specific characteristics....
                                • The length of BOTH the mangetic gap and the Voice coil is an unusual combination- the theoretical Xmax, where the gap is completely filled with coil is only 10 mm; but with the gap and coil being so long, there is a long region of gradually declining BL force where you still have a lot of drive. They quote 40mm usable excursion. I will be crious to see if that plays out.
                                • With the combined characteristics of VC, VC inductance, cone mass, mechanical Q, etc, and high electrical Q, the Qts is fairly high, and you sort of have this hump in the response that is always there in the 40-50Hz area. Good thing most people like bass in that area....
                                • The frequency response for different size sealed enclosures changes very little between 60L net and 150L net. I mean, VERY little. So, let's say you feel squeamish about just 60L net, go for an enclosure that is 4 cu ft gross, and you'll easilyi be safe for haivng 75L net. I really think that was my thinking back in January 2018, and I'm not just rewriting history. But since I bought enclosure kits that size, I think I have a good case for it.
                                • It is possibel to go ported. I'm not sure I would chose to do that, becuase below the tuning frequency things unload. With sealed, you have room gain and a slower roll off, and more proteciton for the driver.
                                • Without furthe adieu, I'll show some graphs....

60L

Name:	Sealed 60L.jpg
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	864462

150L

Name:	Sealed 150L.jpg
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	864463

Not really much different at 150L (5 cu ft) from 60L (2 cu ft)

Put an EQ lift of 8 dB from 40Hz to 20Hz and flatten it back out, and call it a day. THAT's where you're going to be using most of your power- at 84dB/2.83V, these aren't that bad as sensitivity goes. 80W to get to 100dB when you're not in the EQ range. So 1kW sounds pretty good.

Conventional Reflex, tuned to Fs

Name:	Reflex Centered.jpg
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	864464

This is a conventional reflex alignment tuned to 23Hz. I'd put an 18-20Hz High Pass filter on the sub amp. Solid extension to 20Hz, but 165L is a big box!

EBS Alignment Reflex 165L

Name:	Reflex EBS.jpg
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	864465

I'd put in a HP no lower than 15 Hz. But after thinking about it, I figured going sealed with two smaller boxes each half the size made more sense.
                                the AudioWorx
                                Natalie P
                                M8ta
                                Modula Neo DCC
                                Modula MT XE
                                Modula Xtreme
                                Isiris
                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                Minerva Monitor
                                Calliope
                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                Obi-Wan
                                Modula PWB
                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                Natalie P Ultra
                                Natalie P Supreme
                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• rick844
                                  • Jun 2019

Thanks for presenting this and putting in the time. It means a lot for me (a newbie) to this world. I like (really like) the idea of have two smaller boxes instead of one really big one. Is there a benefit to limiting the HP if using for a LFE channel? Why not just allow the full range? Also, when using the 60l size sealed enclosure, it seems to be tuned to 34 hz, what is the realistic performance at say 15hz? I know what it says in the graph ~65 db at 15 hz, but how would this compare to a larger (less than 165 l, but more than 60 l) ported enclosure using the same driver? Im learning here, so sorry for the questions.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                    • Aug 2000

Hi Rick,

What I'm going to do now is summarize what my thinking was (found some of my computer notes!) and explain how I think they intended these to be used in small enclosures.

In their overview technical paper, they show some simplified plots about the normal box response and the Eq'd response, but they're kind of glossing over points, especially considering that the actual raw driver response is not depicted accurately.

Name:	STW-350F Sealed EQ Paper.jpg
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	864466

So, we've already seen what the calculated response based on T/S driver parameters looks like, and that looks a lot like the published driver data. So, a reminder, here it is again in 75L (my target net volume out of a 100L enclosure).

Name:	Sealed 75L.jpg
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	864467

So, what we're going to do is hook up our virtual amplifier and EQ in front of that,

Name:	STW-350F System.PNG
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	864468

With a shelving EQ curve like many systems and dedicated plate amps like my Hypex DS 8.0 can provide... (and similar to what the STW-350F overview paper is describing)

Name:	STW-350F System EQ.jpg
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	864469

Which should result in a net response about like this....

Name:	STW-350F System SPL.jpg
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	864470

And this is pretty much what I was looking for. You know, with the power this part can handle and the excursion, you can probably even get by with just 3 cu ft gross volume, if space and WAF is a major issue. Do pay attention to the Overview paper's recommendation about an interior brace that the back side mounts for the driver bolts up to- you have to take that into account in designing the enclosure, though- being able to access things from somewhere to get to that, once the driver is in the enclosure!
                                    the AudioWorx
                                    Natalie P
                                    M8ta
                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                    Modula MT XE
                                    Modula Xtreme
                                    Isiris
                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                    Minerva Monitor
                                    Calliope
                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                    Obi-Wan
                                    Modula PWB
                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• rick844
                                      • Jun 2019

Thanks Jon, again very educational. I was going over the secondary mounting in my head trying to figure out the logistics of getting in there. You almost have to use a removable rear baffle instead of a front one for this reason. I'm sure I could make something work. There are designs out there that indicate such a build, but the builders dont go to the level of detail that you have. Once I finish this Anthology build, my center mod is next. Then this will be my following project. When I get there, I will report how that goes and I will be in touch. Thanks again.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by rick844
                                        Thanks Jon, again very educational. I was going over the secondary mounting in my head trying to figure out the logistics of getting in there. You almost have to use a removable rear baffle instead of a front one for this reason. I'm sure I could make something work. There are designs out there that indicate such a build, but the builders dont go to the level of detail that you have. Once I finish this Anthology build, my center mod is next. Then this will be my following project. When I get there, I will report how that goes and I will be in touch. Thanks again.
                                        Sounds fine, Rick! We can touch base then, I think you're right about the removable rear baffle- the only other alternative I can think of would be something like Steve Mannings laminated enclosure designs, where the bottom can be the last thing you bolt on. It may take some pondering over a beverage or two (probably caffeinated!) in order to come up with something clever!

Good luck with your current builds!
                                        the AudioWorx
                                        Natalie P
                                        M8ta
                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                        Modula MT XE
                                        Modula Xtreme
                                        Isiris
                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                        Minerva Monitor
                                        Calliope
                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                        Obi-Wan
                                        Modula PWB
                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• rick844
                                          • Jun 2019

Thank you sir. I started a thread on the anthologys.

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"