Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wilbur-x
    • May 2016

IDS-25 stalker:IDS-24T

Inspired by Roger Russels pretty IDS-25, I finally built my own towers.
    DIY'er "5th element" generously shared his impressions, tweaks and measurements with me regarding VifaTG9.
    He pointed out that3d. and 5th harmonic distortion raise quite a lot from 500 hz and down. The void under the cap is a relative big chamber in front of the 6mm "pipe". The cure was to add phase plugs.
    The solution was some volum knobs( for guitar) spray painted with Plasti-Skin (same as PlastiDip) and wooden spline dowels 30x 6mm with a drop of glue, just to secure. Luckily, both the knobs and dowels dias are 6mm, fitting the hole in pole piece precisely. In other words: Mostly Lego. Knobs are plastic, not disturbing any field.
    All TG9 (4 ohm) got its own chamber, 4,7 liters each. Compartments are separated by 6mm gypsum fiber-sheet (rehab plaster).

I doubt there is such a thing as high end 3,5" cone tweeters, so I added AMT tweeters from Aurum Cantus (Oscar JAS) . Tweeters are modified with flat faceplate and damped conical back chamber from graveyard vase.
    Sub woofers are 21" Hipower Pro BR-tuned to 18 hz in room. Magnet is dia 13". Not easy to handle in workshop.
    Baseplate for towers are 25mm Alu with EPDM rubber dampers (from domestic AC accessory) and ice hockey pucks with felt. This make it easy to push the speakers in position.
    Speakers are painted with paint meant for floors and stairs. Nylon elastics on baffle inspired from Sonus.

For tuning I use Dirac Live and crossover by MiniDSP. Tuning is ongoing.
    WAF? I'm happily married :-)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	tg9plug.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	872347Click image for larger version

Name:	tg9kill.jpg
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	872346Click image for larger version

Name:	tg9phase.jpg
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	872348Click image for larger version

Name:	ids-25t.jpg
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	872349Click image for larger version

Name:	ids24shelf.jpg
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	872350
  • wilbur-x
    • May 2016

Click image for larger version

Name:	ids24sys.jpg
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	864218Click image for larger version

Name:	ids24bone.jpg
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	864217

Comment

• ergo
      • Mar 2005

Impressive project and cool little tweak for the Vifa-s. Quite a lot of work and a bulk amount of volume knobs needed - very cool!
      I did not realize the subs are behind the towers. Together all these should produce some quite a good volume level. Do you like the sound and just for reference what was the speaker set these replaced?

Comment

• wilbur-x
        • May 2016

Thank you very much ergo. Regarding the sound the burn-in and tuning process are ongoing. Very promising so far.
        The speakers replaced a DIY project named "Krumkast", an open curved/focussed baffle (Google)

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Got any before and after modification plots of the drivers response and distortion?
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• wilbur-x
            • May 2016

Sorry no. I relied on 5th.elements recommendations and modded the drivers straight away. He also told that the driver drops like a stone above 12 kHz, hence the tweeter.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"