Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bassatack
    • Feb 2019

Khanspires/KhanCenter Help

Hello, Let me start off by mentioning that I am new to DIY, and need a bit of help. My goal is to eventually build a 5.1 setup. I really wanted to build some sensations or finalists, but due to room constraints, I had to look at alternatives. My main issue is I need something that can be placed near the wall (12" or less).

This lead me to the Khanspires. These seemed like the perfect solution for me until I realized that the RS28A-4 tweeter has been discontinued.

Is there a suitable drop in replacement for this tweeter? What about the Morel CAT-308? I understand that the RST28A-4 would require an updated crossover. Can someone please advise me on the best path forward? Should I be looking at a different design altogether?

Thanks!
    Last edited by bassatack; 06 May 2019, 10:47 Monday.
  • Paulie
    • Jul 2008

You should consider the Anthology’s

Comment

• 0m3g4
      • Nov 2015

Anthologies have the same constraints as the statements. They both need to be ~16" from the wall, that's why he was looking into the khans.

Meniscus has the tweeters you are looking for

$54.77/ea, so the khans are still doable, though I love the look and the idea of the Canaiolo. I wanted to build those, but ended up building the anthologies. Great speakers, i don't regret them at all, but they really do need the spacing from the wall to come alive.
      Last edited by 0m3g4; 07 May 2019, 08:24 Tuesday.

Comment

• bassatack
        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by 0m3g4
        Anthologies have the same constraints as the statements. They both need to be ~16" the wall, that's why he was looking into the khans.

Meniscus has the tweeters you are looking for

$54.77/ea, so the khans are still doable, though I love the look and the idea of the Canaiolo. I wanted to build those, but ended up building the anthologies. Great speakers, i don't regret them at all, but they really do need the spacing from the wall to come alive.

I checked the link you sent and they are out of stock unfortunately. Im guessing they won't be getting any more.

Comment

• 0m3g4
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by bassatack
          I checked the link you sent and they are out of stock unfortunately. Im guessing they won't be getting any more.
          Bummer, I have found them on Amazon before albeit for twice the price. I thought someone did an updated crossover for the morel tweeter, I can't find a link at this time.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

• bassatack
            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by 0m3g4
            Bummer, I have found them on Amazon before albeit for twice the price. I thought someone did an updated crossover for the morel tweeter, I can't find a link at this time.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
            I searched around and find any. That would be awesome if there is an updated crossover design. I noticed that the updated Continuum now uses the Morel tweeter. Such a shame, alot of the older designs use that tweeter.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Actually, the Finalists were designed for open or closed back mids with a simple flip of the switch which allows close wall positioning with the closed back. Curt reworked the crossover for the Morel CAT 328 tweeter when the RS28F went NLA.

The plans and parts kit are available from Meniscus. https://meniscusaudio.com/product/fi...ones-kit-pair/

HTH

Jim

Comment

• bassatack
                • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                Actually, the Finalists were designed for open or closed back mids with a simple flip of the switch which allows close wall positioning with the closed back. Curt reworked the crossover for the Morel CAT 328 tweeter when the RS28F went NLA.

The plans and parts kit are available from Meniscus. https://meniscusaudio.com/product/fi...ones-kit-pair/

HTH

Jim
                The ONLY thing stopping me from the building the Finalists towers/centers/monitors is the size of the center. Unfortunately. it is simply too big to fit in my space. The Khan-center fit perfectly.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

The ONLY thing stopping me from the building the Finalists towers/centers/monitors is the size of the center. Unfortunately. it is simply too big to fit in my space. The Khan-center fit perfectly.
                  You should build whatever fits your needs. I just wanted to make sure you knew there was an option with the Finalists.

I know Chris and I've heard the Khans and they are very good. Chris is an excellent crossover designer. I think you'll like them.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"