• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kmak
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2002

Ceiling speaker enclosures

Hi,
    I have a pair of B&W CCM663 that are sitting in a box, doing absolutely nothing, since we moved here 2 years ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2771.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	872306

Fortunately, during construction, I had the electricians run speaker wire to a decent location for the rear/side surrounds in a 5.1 system. I was able to use Paradigm outdoor speakers, that were on the deck at the old house. They've been more than adequate, but I might as well match brands with my HT.

Name:	IMG_2769.jpg
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	872307

Left Surround:

Name:	IMG_2767.jpg
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	872308

Right Surround:

Name:	IMG_2768.jpg
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	872309

The bottom line is that I would like the enclosures to blend into the drywall finishes, as much as possible. I'm thinking of mdf screwed, glued, and lined with acoustic egg crate foam. Then I would adhere Sheetrock with rounded corners. Would a triangular "box" at the same angle as the Paradigms above work, and what should the internal volume be, within reason? Has anyone else completed a similar project?

Thanks in advance,
    Ken
  • Bear
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2008

There are lots of similar in-wall projects, but given that this is a DIY forum, I'm not quite sure how to answer. The B&W speaker is going to come with its own crossover and a set of assumptions around implementation. That makes answering your volume question little more than a SWAG (design parameters could range from 2x4 framed walls, 16" OC, to full Infinite Baffle). No matter what you do, though, the column width will look a lot more like a wide baffle speaker than a true in-wall (unlike the one on the wall with the fireplace). Substituting ceiling bounce for floor bounce, and baffle step should be only ~2dB or less. However, the two placement locations are different enough acoustically to make it hard to give a general answer that works for both.

Finally, there are better acoustic fillers than egg crate foam -- including basic fiberglass or denim insulation. From a fire risk standpoint, you probably don't want to go with denim on the wall close to fireplace. You certainly don't want to go with a plastic derivative like egg crate foam. Fiberglass will be much less flammable than denim, and denim will be much, much, much less flammable than egg crate.

TL,DR: it should work, but you'll need to make (and live with) some assumptions.
    Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• kmak
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2002

Thanks Bear, since this is sort of a custom installation as well, I posted a link to this in Spaced Out.
      Ken

Comment

• Steve Manning
        • Dec 2006

You could always contact B&W and get a recommended volume.
        Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"