Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marcus80
    • Dec 2018

Statements II crossover help

I am starting to acquire parts to build my own set of statements II and have some questions about the crossover parts that I am hoping somebody can help me out on.

Being somewhat new to speaker building, the more I learn, the more questions I have about it. In the past I have built the Aviatrix MT kit and then the tabletop Isetta from plans, both of which I am really enjoying.

So, as far as capacitor selection is concerned, I plan on using Clarity CSA for the tweeter and mid (smaller values) and Clarity PX for the 100uf cap. For the woofer, does it matter all that much about brand? Specifically I am looking at the ASC 60uf lti 4-5 cap (mainly for price reasons, can't find any info on these what so ever).

I ask this for two reasons:
    1) After reading a bit it seems that the different caps affect the higher range more than low (maybe I am wrong here?)
    2) Because the cap goes to ground and isn't in the direct signal path of the driver, does it have that much impact on the driver (as long as it is still a poly cap)?

Is it bad to mix capacitor brands within one speaker build?

With the steel inductors, it calls for 15 ga wire, would it be a problem to go with 14 or 16 in the same 7.0mh?

I am sure I will have more questions as time goes on, thanks for any help you can send my way.
  • Bear
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Marcus80
    1) After reading a bit it seems that the different caps affect the higher range more than low (maybe I am wrong here?)
    There are some important details that I'll leave out, but from a beginner's perspective: capacitors exhibit increasing impedance as frequency decreases. Conversely, an inductor exhibits increasing impedance as frequency increases.

2) Because the cap goes to ground and isn't in the direct signal path of the driver, does it have that much impact on the driver (as long as it is still a poly cap)?
    A common perception is that parallel capacitors don't affect the sound nearly as much as capacitors in series. The main concern for any of them, though, are the VDC and tolerance ratings. Some designs are fine with 5% tolerance, but others need 2% or 1% tolerance parts. Likewise, if you want to push a lot of power through your speakers, don't go for 250VDC capacitors. Look to 400VDC+ parts.

People do it all the time. It can be pretty rare that a single manufacturer makes all of the needed part values.

With the steel inductors, it calls for 15 ga wire, would it be a problem to go with 14 or 16 in the same 7.0mh?
    In general, you want to go with the stated DCR (DC resistance) value or lower. That often means that going with a lower gauge wire is okay. Depending upon where the inductor is located, a higher DCR rating can have a significant impact on the driver Q. In general, check with the designer about specific substitutions, and don't stress about a few dollars here and there. Availability may force you to go a different route, but iron-core inductors should be among your cheapest parts, aside from resistors.
    Last edited by Bear; 11 December 2018, 18:29 Tuesday.
    Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• Marcus80
      • Dec 2018

Thanks for the info. I am not adverse to putting money into the components that make the most difference or what is required, but also I don't want to throw more than needed at parts that won't make much difference.

I am getting excited to piece these together. Are there any other pitfalls that I should watch out for when picking out particular crossover components?

Comment

• Jim Holtz
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Marcus80
        I am starting to acquire parts to build my own set of statements II and have some questions about the crossover parts that I am hoping somebody can help me out on.

Being somewhat new to speaker building, the more I learn, the more questions I have about it. In the past I have built the Aviatrix MT kit and then the tabletop Isetta from plans, both of which I am really enjoying.

So, as far as capacitor selection is concerned, I plan on using Clarity CSA for the tweeter and mid (smaller values) and Clarity PX for the 100uf cap. For the woofer, does it matter all that much about brand? Specifically I am looking at the ASC 60uf lti 4-5 cap (mainly for price reasons, can't find any info on these what so ever).

I ask this for two reasons:

I am sure I will have more questions as time goes on, thanks for any help you can send my way.
        Hi Marcus,

There's nothing wrong with using a different cap on the woofer circuit as long as its a quality poly cap. I'm not familiar with ASC caps so I have no input. There are other reasonably priced caps that are more well known if you can find the needed values.

Values for all crossover components should follow Curt's specs for the speaker to perform as designed. Pick your brands but don't change the values.

HTH

Jim

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"