X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • borsuk
    • Apr 2018

Getting ready to build the Statements II

Dear DIY friends,
    I'm finally getting ready to build the well known Statements II. Before I start to collect the material I'd like to ask two questions to more experienced builders.

1. Statements II placement
    I read in original Jim & Curt's post that the Statements are designed to be placed with their backs at least 18" from the wall because of open back mid section. But what happens if it is placed closer? I understand that they will not sound as good as designed, but how big is the difference?
    I don't have enough place to have them 18" from the wall permanently, but I'll be able to pull them out for the critical listening sessions though. Would they be still usable for everyday background music while placed backs to the wall or should I look for another (closed back) design?

2. Port size
    The port tubes for Statements II should "be 3"x4" plus the flares".
    Does it mean that the straight portion of the tube should be 4 inches long and the port flares do not count?
    What if I'm unable to find the exact sized port here in Europe? 3" inner diameter is 76.2mm. I found the nearest tube with 70mm.

Is it usable without modification, or should I adjust the length to match the internal volume of the tube? I mean smaller inner diameter mean slightly longer tube, right?

Thank you for help
  • borsuk
    • Apr 2018

I feel quite stupit having asked what a bit more reading could have answered.
    Only appology is that I found the answers in the Mini Statements thread So I'm answering myself:
    I read in original Jim & Curt's post that the Statements are designed to be placed with their backs at least 18" from the wall because of open back mid section. But what happens if it is placed closer? I understand that they will not sound as good as designed, but how big is the difference?
    I don't have enough place to have them 18" from the wall permanently, but I'll be able to pull them out for the critical listening sessions though. Would they be still usable for everyday background music while placed backs to the wall or should I look for another (closed back) design?
    Statements and Mini Statements have been tested as close as 10" to the wall with still good results. So I assume even closer would be usable in temporary situation.

2. Port size
    Does it mean that the straight portion of the tube should be 4 inches long and the port flares do not count?
    What if I'm unable to find the exact sized port here in Europe? 3" inner diameter is 76.2mm. I found the nearest tube with 70mm.

Is it usable without modification, or should I adjust the length to match the internal volume of the tube? I mean smaller inner diameter mean slightly longer tube, right?
    I found that Jim recommended a specific Dayton product and found a datasheet of it. The internal diameter is 2.75" which is almost exactly 70mm. Also the question about 4" tube part was answered by Jim himself - 4" tube Plus the end parts.

I'm sorry for being so quick to ask without reading what has already been answered ;x(

Comment

• Jim Holtz
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by borsuk
      Dear DIY friends,
      I'm finally getting ready to build the well known Statements II. Before I start to collect the material I'd like to ask two questions to more experienced builders.

2. Port size

Thank you for help
      Hi Borsuk,

I'll try and help with your questions.

1.The differences in the placement is the sound stage flattens as you get closer to the wall. I wouldn't place them closer than 10" from the wall behind unless you had to. Yes, they'll be fine for background music placed close but will show you what they can really do when you pull them out where they're designed to sound best.

2. Port size/length isn't going to be that big of issue for you. The 70mm cut to a tube length of about 5" plus flares will work fine.

We love to see pictures of your build as it progresses. A build thread would be great!

HTH

Jim

Comment

• borsuk
        • Apr 2018

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
        Hi Borsuk,

I'll try and help with your questions.

1.The differences in the placement is the sound stage flattens as you get closer to the wall. I wouldn't place them closer than 10" from the wall behind unless you had to. Yes, they'll be fine for background music placed close but will show you what they can really do when you pull them out where they're designed to sound best.

2. Port size/length isn't going to be that big of issue for you. The 70mm cut to a tube length of about 5" plus flares will work fine.

We love to see pictures of your build as it progresses. A build thread would be great!

HTH

Jim
        Hi Jim,
        Thank you very much for explanatios. The fact that the designer himself answered my question makes me even more ashamed, as I already found the answers in different threads I didn't read before asking. Alhtough I answered my own questions here a few hours ago, the post diddn't make it through moderators yet.
        I promise to start a build thread and post as many pictures as possible. I will take some serious time to complete this project. It would be my third (Overnight Sensations for my desk and Classix II for a friend are my only experience, both of them fantastic).
        Have a nice day
        Stefan (Borsuk)

Comment

• Jim Holtz
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by borsuk
          Hi Jim,
          Thank you very much for explanatios. The fact that the designer himself answered my question makes me even more ashamed, as I already found the answers in different threads I didn't read before asking. Alhtough I answered my own questions here a few hours ago, the post diddn't make it through moderators yet.
          I promise to start a build thread and post as many pictures as possible. I will take some serious time to complete this project. It would be my third (Overnight Sensations for my desk and Classix II for a friend are my only experience, both of them fantastic).
          Have a nice day
          Stefan (Borsuk)
          Hi Stefan,

No worries! We're looking forward to following build as it progresses.

Don't get Curt and I confused. He's the smart one, I just do the heavy lifting. It's his crossover genus and guidance that has kept our collaborations on track.

Good luck with the build!

Jim

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"