Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SDHacker
    • Oct 2018

Has anyone used Medite for a build?

I see several mentions of wanting to try Medite (another form of MDF with hard smooth surface) but I haven't seen any build thread actually use it. I'm a novice so I wouldn't make a good guinea pig since I couldn't make any comparisons. All my projects have used dimensional lumber or plywood. The manufacturer's website says it accepts varnish so is the surface attractive enough to just varnish (wouldn't want to do that with paper surfaced MDF)? Anyway, if anyone has used Medite (there seems to be several variations of it), please reply and let me know about your experience with it.
  • bobyoungren
    • Aug 2015

SDHacker,

I tried ordering Medite, but discovered that Medite is a brand of MDF that comes in different grades. One sheet I used was stamped Medite but was not the water resistant version. The other product I special ordered was a sheet of Medex for $63.00. Medex is a mdf product designed for Bathroom and Kitchen cabinets that is water resistant.

I highly recommend Medex if you can get it. It machines nicer and is less reactive to water. I used both in my build.

The Medite I used was nothing special. I assumed all medite was water resistant. The other grades I can not comment on.

Both Medex and Medite are paint grade or veneer finish.

Bob

Comment

• SDHacker
      • Oct 2018

Originally posted by bobyoungren
      SDHacker,

I tried ordering Medite, but discovered that Medite is a brand of MDF that comes in different grades. One sheet I used was stamped Medite but was not the water resistant version. The other product I special ordered was a sheet of Medex for $63.00. Medex is a mdf product designed for Bathroom and Kitchen cabinets that is water resistant.

I highly recommend Medex if you can get it. It machines nicer and is less reactive to water. I used both in my build.

The Medite I used was nothing special. I assumed all medite was water resistant. The other grades I can not comment on.

Both Medex and Medite are paint grade or veneer finish.

Bob
      Thanks Bob. If you did another build, would you use plywood or medex?

Comment

• bobyoungren
        • Aug 2015

For speakers I would use Medex. Because it machines well and has a consistent Flat surface for paint or veneer. And it's not going to swell if it gets wet.

The down side is Medex, like all MDF products its heavy and dusty.

Bob

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"