X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jujuman
    • Jul 2012

Statement 2 Center Channel as LCR

Hello All;
    Due to my room configuration, the Statements are too tall for the intended location ( LONG STORY)..... What are your thoughts on using the CENTER channel configuration across all 3 LCR of my HT?

I have ample subs that dig into the mid-teens. I'm just wondering if the CC goes low enough to be used as L/R channels.

I'm looking to have the CC at the LCR positions with Micro Statements as surrounds.

Thank you for all your help.....

Juju
  • Jim Holtz
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Jujuman
    Hello All;
    Due to my room configuration, the Statements are too tall for the intended location ( LONG STORY)..... What are your thoughts on using the CENTER channel configuration across all 3 LCR of my HT?

I have ample subs that dig into the mid-teens. I'm just wondering if the CC goes low enough to be used as L/R channels.

I'm looking to have the CC at the LCR positions with Micro Statements as surrounds.

Thank you for all your help.....

Juju
    Curt could answer this better than I but here's my $0.02 worth.

Center channels are designed to be point sources and anchor the sound to the center speaker. Moving a point source speaker to L-R positions isn't ideal. F/3 is in the 50's Hz. with the Statements II center so there's no issue integrating with subs. Have you considered the Finalists? They would work extremely well.

HTH

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Holtz; 09 August 2018, 14:39 Thursday.

Comment

• Jujuman
      • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
      Curt could answer this better than I but here's my $0.02 worth.

Center channels are designed to be point sources and anchor the sound to the center speaker. Moving a point source speaker to L-R positions isn't ideal. F/3 is around 50 Hz. with the Statements II center so there's no issue integrating with subs. Have you considered the Finalists? They would work extremely well.

HTH

Jim
      Hello Jim;
      thank you for your reply..... I have considered the Finalists..... The issue is that I have not heard/read anything about their use in HT. I have no qualms using them IF they are up to HT duty..... But I do prefer ribbons over domes.

How close are the sonic signatures of the Statement monitor and the Finalist? Possible to switch out the metal mid of the Statement monitor for the paper mid of the S2? Essentially creating an Statement 2 monitor.... your thoughts?

Thanks

Juju

Comment

• Jim Holtz
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Hello Jim;
        thank you for your reply..... I have considered the Finalists..... The issue is that I have not heard/read anything about their use in HT. I have no qualms using them IF they are up to HT duty..... But I do prefer ribbons over domes.

How close are the sonic signatures of the Statement monitor and the Finalist? Possible to switch out the metal mid of the Statement monitor for the paper mid of the S2? Essentially creating an Statement 2 monitor.... your thoughts?

Thanks

Juju
        The Finalsts will make excellent L/R mains for a home theater along with subs for the very low frequencies. The Finalists have the same F/3 as the Anthology's, Statements ( I & II ) or Bordeaux. The Finalists just won't move as much air since it's one RS225 per channel vs two. Maximun SPL will be about 110 db vs 112 - 115 with Statements II's.

The Finalists have a very refined and detailed midrange with a 3-dimensional quality. They stand well above the Statements Monitors in midrange sound quality and bass authority. Since the RS28F is NLA, Curt and Meniscus developed the Finalists with a Morel dome that Curt is fond of. I've not heard them but he told me it was a much better sounding tweeter than the RS28F.

Ribbon vs domes in home theater speakers? I would prefer ribbons or AMT's for music but IMHO, it really doesn't matter in home theater. The L/R channels are effects channels. The center carries up to 70% of the sound in home theater. That's the most important speaker in a home theater.

The NE123 will fit the same cutout of the W4-1337 but that's about it. You're basically starting over on the crossover. IMHO, it wouldn't compare favorably with the Finalists.

How about room for Anthology's?

Jim

Comment

• Jujuman
          • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
          The Finalsts will make excellent L/R mains for a home theater along with subs for the very low frequencies. The Finalists have the same F/3 as the Anthology's, Statements ( I & II ) or Bordeaux. The Finalists just won't move as much air since it's one RS225 per channel vs two. Maximun SPL will be about 110 db vs 112 - 115 with Statements II's.

The Finalists have a very refined and detailed midrange with a 3-dimensional quality. They stand well above the Statements Monitors in midrange sound quality and bass authority. Since the RS28F is NLA, Curt and Meniscus developed the Finalists with a Morel dome that Curt is fond of. I've not heard them but he told me it was a much better sounding tweeter than the RS28F.

Ribbon vs domes in home theater speakers? I would prefer ribbons or AMT's for music but IMHO, it really doesn't matter in home theater. The L/R channels are effects channels. The center carries up to 70% of the sound in home theater. That's the most important speaker in a home theater.

The NE123 will fit the same cutout of the W4-1337 but that's about it. You're basically starting over on the crossover. IMHO, it wouldn't compare favorably with the Finalists.

How about room for Anthology's?

Jim
          Thank you Jim.....Finalists it will be....due to how my front stage is setup, the Anthology's are also too tall. The Finalist will sit on top of my front subs. Thank you for your insight...

Juju

Comment

• Jim Holtz
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Thank you Jim.....Finalists it will be....due to how my front stage is setup, the Anthology's are also too tall. The Finalist will sit on top of my front subs. Thank you for your insight...

Juju
            I think they're a very good choice. Just an FYI, the Finalists with the Morel tweeter were commissioned by Meniscus so the design is only available through them. The Morel tweeter is more expensive so check their website for the cost of the kit price. I'd also suggest you consider Clarity caps for the mid and tweeter circuit. Yep, they make a difference.

Jim

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"