Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heli-Tim
    • Nov 2015

Particle Board(I know, I know...)

While I'm sure that this is frowned upon in the DIY community, I know that a lot of manufacturers (most?) use particle board for speaker cabinets/bracing(I don't mean MDF). I personally like working with real wood products significantly better, but am seriously considering particle board for its light weight. I have 3 herniated discs, and every pound I can save counts!

Any thoughts on this?

Edit: I think it might also be called or is similar to melamine.

Cheers,
    Tim
    Last edited by Heli-Tim; 02 August 2018, 18:34 Thursday. Reason: description
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

I think MDF is chosen for it's density and low resonance qualities, along with minimal temperature related changes. I have no idea how particle board compares, but I would at least investigate those attributes. Considering the difference in weight vs. area, I would already suspect the resonance issue would raise its head. And from the some of the wild warping I've seen from particle board furniture I suspect it doesn't compare well on that score, either.

I have no idea if there are different grades of particle board, or how much its shortcomings can be attenuated with sealing and bracing. Particle board doesn't like humidity. Under damp enough circumstances, a speaker cabinet could end up looking like an old outhouse.
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Heli-Tim
      • Nov 2015

I was surprised to see that B & W used it in their cabinets.

I had planned on using Baltic Birch, or similar. I've been hesitant to start building my speakers partially due to the weight (but mostly home renovations, and having a kid).

You raise some good concerns.

Comment

• PMazz
        • May 2001

Click image for larger version

Name:	MDF-PB.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	863651
        Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• TMM
          • Jul 2015

If you want to save weight, the key is bracing. You want the bracing to divide large panels into smaller ones so that the panel resonances occur high enough in frequency that they are not excited by the woofers. A series of 'window frame' shelves are generally quite effective and do not cost much weight. If you can divide all panels into sections no larger than 20x20cm you will be doing well. As a result 16mm sides and 12mm bracing is fine imho.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	zYJgvUn.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	935997

There is not much difference between the better grades of MDF and particle board as shown above. Instead of using a low grade of particle board, you could use a thinner sheet of MDF instead and achieve similar weight/strength ratio. Then make up for the reduction in strength by using a clever bracing scheme. MDF cutting a whole lot nicer than low grade particle board would be enough motivation to stick with MDF for me.
          Last edited by theSven; 03 May 2023, 22:04 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Heli-Tim
            • Nov 2015

Thanks for the tips. I was/am leaning towards Baltic Birch . I just like to explore all my options first. In reality, my wife will have to move these around for me, as I cannot lift more then 20lbs (and has to be tight to my center of gravity) . It's always frustrating when something out of your control limits your project choices :s

Comment

• BobEllis
              Super Senior Member
              • Dec 2005

I picked up a hand truck when I built my Ardents. I use it all the time now.

To re-hone my woodworking “skills”, I built a set of MDF Ardent cabinets before the BB/bamboo final versions. The MDF weighed 1/3 less than the BB/bamboo versions. BB is so much nicer to work with, I’ll never use MDF again.

Comment

• Heli-Tim
                • Nov 2015

Bob, I love your Ardents!

14 years ago when I was only 19, I took a bad kick to the spine in a martial arts tournament. The result is that I can't lift very much, and I have some nerve problems in my right hand that make it hard to use tools that vibrate. I definetly have challenges ahead of me while building these speakers .

I have some woodworking skills, I just need to make the right tools to do the job.

A hand truck will be a "must" for me. It is absolutely amazing sometimes,what we as humans can overcome to accomplish our goals.

Comment

• Bear
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Dec 2008

I'll second the opinion of the superiority of BB to MDF. Aside from the general messiness of working with MDF, the screw holding of MDF is terrible, especially if you need to withdraw the screw for any reason and screw it back in. This is why so many people use hurricane nuts or T-nuts to mount drivers. There are a lot more disadvantages for MDF, but there's little need for me to rehash that here.

Bracing matters a lot for big cabinets, and increasing the the bracing density using lighter sheet goods can go a LONG way. In fact, if you think of something like a torsion box, you get an idea about how lighter weight and improved mechanical strength can go hand-in-hand. I often refer to the "sagulator" (https://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator/) as a reminder of how much strength one can gain with just a bit of additional material applied in the right locations.

A big caveat, though: bracing matters most when doing larger cabinet sizes. If you face significant limitations, please consider smaller or multi-box designs, rather than larger monolithic ones. You don't need a 100 pound speaker that lives in the middle of your shop, no matter how elegant! :-)

On this forum, JonMarsh's Modula series, especially the Modula MT-XE and Xtreme, can give you an idea of what a multi-box design can look like and perform like. His method of using pre-built (or flat pack) cabinets not only helps reduce time to build, but also reduces the requirements for tools/tool use. Outside of this forum, a designer like Troels Gravesen is both well-respected and also includes many compound box designs on his website, though these tend to require a significant number of machining/construction steps (e.g., http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Illuminator-5.htm).

Start with considering your goals. If you are a two-channel purist who wants a "20-20" speaker, then a larger, monolithic design may be your best bet. If you want good multi-channel playback (music and HT), and you are not averse to subwoofers, then life becomes a bit easier. Many people get fixated on low-end extension for smaller drivers who are then paired with subs. A good sub or woofer that can cover the 20 - 200Hz range and an active crossover to a 5" mid + Tweeter should give you great sound with a minimal construction load. Subwoofers like the SEAS L26ROY or Wavecor SW223 in a flatpack box with a DSP/Amp combo should easily cover a 200Hz or 300Hz crossover point. Something like the Dayton RSS315HF can probably handle 200Hz, though 300Hz is probably too high. At a 200 - 300Hz crossover point, you may be Xmax limited in the woofer for your ultimate SPL, but porting the midwoofer won't be necessary (saving construction effort and expense).

A very concrete example: I use Mark K's ER18DXT design for my surrounds, and they'd be quite good as main speakers when crossed to a sub. They're designed for the 0.5cf Parts Express cabinet (which is still available). And while they are decently heavy when built, a design like the Ardent will dwarf them. Because the cabinets are pre-finished, you can also assemble them in-situ, rather than having to move them around a shop, then transporting to their final location. Also, all that you need is a few standard hand tools (e.g., screw drivers), a soldering gun, a drill driver, a router and a circle jig (e.g., Jasper Jig). Replacement baffles are (relatively) cheap and available in case something goes wrong cutting the driver holes. I actually cheated entirely when building mine since Madisound still offered pre-built cabinets back then, and I used Madisounds CNC machined baffles, as well, which fit the ER18 woofer and DXT tweeter perfectly (this should also give you an idea of how they have held up over time...).

Visual blog of DIY two way loudspeaker build based on Mark K design using SEAS ER18RNX (H1456) 7" woofer and SEAS 27TBCD/GB-DXT (H1499) tweeter

Dayton Audio TWC-0.50CH 0.50 cu. ft. 2-Way Curved Speaker Cabinet CherryIf you want to create a loudspeaker without investing the time and money building one from scratch, these cabinets are the answer. Dayton Audio pre-made enclosures eliminate the time-consuming and messy steps of cutting wood, assembling the panels and bracing, gluing veneer, and finishing. Using Dayton Audio speaker cabinets will guarantee superior results every time. 3/4" MDF side and back panel construction is reinforced by a 3/4" MDF "shelf" brace running vertically up the sides and across the top and bottom. The entire cabinet, including the rear, is covered with a very rich, genuine cherry wood veneer with a semi-gloss finish. The baffle is 1" MDF with a black satin finish and rabbeted construction. It offers the flexibility of the B-REX replacement system and comes pre-finished without any driver cutouts. The grill is secured to the baffle by neo magnets in line with the machine screws that fasten the baffle to the enclosure. Two 1/4" holes on the back simplify installation of Dayton Audio knock-in binding posts. Attractive curved-sided design is extremely rigid and solid, with minimized panel resonance. Complete with baffles, hardware, and grills. Add crossover parts, port tubes, damping materials, binding posts, and your drivers to create a complete system rivaling the appearance of the most lavishly presented audiophile speakers.Dimensions: 14" H x (8.5" Front, 4.5" Back) W x 13" D.Note: Cabinet dimensions do not include grillOne of the most innovative features is the exclusive Baffle Replacement and EXchange (B-REX) system, which allows the front baffle to be easily removed for prototyping and construction. The satin black finish baffle has 4 pre-drilled holes for machine screws that line up with matching threaded inserts, to secure the baffle to the cabinet. The baffle can be installed or removed an infinite number of times. This is great for initial driver cutouts, allowing the work to take place on a piece of flat stock, rather than on a finished cabinet.Thanks to the B-REX system, if you are uncertain whether your speakers are complete, the machine screws by themselves can be used to hold the baffle in place. Once you are ready to finalize the design, they then act as clamps too hold the baffle in place while your glue is setting. Blank baffles are available separately, allowing further possibilities in terms of using a single cabinet for multiple pairs of drivers. As you can see, the versatility offered by the B-REX system is unmatched in any other pre-finished cabinet!

Hope this helps!
                  Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• Steve Manning
                    • Dec 2006

Bob's idea about a hand truck is a great idea regardless of the type of wood you use. They make a big difference in moving stuff around. With something like this, https://www.amazon.com/VEVOR-Climbin...FBY340RGP3PMRS you can do all kinds of crazy stuff.
                    Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"