X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bear
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2008

Interesting Dutch Amps

My main system seems to continue to be on the decline after 8+ years (the subwoofers seem to have died in Hurricane Harvey due to electrical issues a year ago, now the center channel is acting up...). So, given the positive press for the Hypex NCORE, I've been watching some of their offerings for the DIY community, and what do I find last night? They now have a dedicated web shop, and it seems that the Fusion plate amp product is finally released to the market.

Here's the new DIY-focused site:
    Aimed at the DIY market we use Hypex Class D power amplifiers, power supplies, DSP solutions and plate amplifiers for HiFi and High End applications.

Note: they have a bug in the shopping cart that is adding VAT to every order. I was directed to the old hypexshop.nl site until they got it fixed (I had already ordered).

For people interested in acquiring NC500 modules on the cheap, the FA502 and FA503 seem to have two of them, with a power supply, for not much more than the cost of a single NC400 module + SMPS600 power supply. I've got an order for an FA253 in the system (order number 28!) for a three way project. I'll be intrigued to see how this performs/develops.
    Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
  • Jonasz
    • Nov 2004

I should get my pair of FA503 soon... :P

Comment

• Bear
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2008

Madisound indicated that they had a shipment coming in August, but they'd hit their website in the near future.

Comment

• Bear
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Jonasz
        I should get my pair of FA503 soon... :P
        Nice!

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

I know John was very happy with the NC 400, but what about their cheaper offerings are they just as good? The UCD180 with HXR modules are only like 116usd right now each, and the UCD400 with HXR isn't much more. Tempting..... although I still have this Aleph X clone to build as well lol.

Comment

• Bear
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2008

I haven't seen measurements on the UcD modules, but I also haven't really looked. Some of the pricing on UcDs looks like it is of the "closeout" variety. The NCore modules are getting the hype right now, and they ... aren't cheap. The Fusion units look like pretty good values, but that includes a reference to the existing NCore pricing and the cost of components for a passive crossover (it's pretty easy to spend $300 - $500+ for a three-way crossover).

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Yeah that's what I was wondering. I think the UCD pricing is pretty similar to what it used to be I believe. But yeah I was looking at the UCD180 with HxR modules which are about 116usd each. The UCD400 with HxR modules is not a lot more either. I guess with the fall of the Euro these all seem a lot more affordable than they used to lol.

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Hmm those plate amps are pretty interesting. Although I was looking for a simple sort of a 2 channel setup lol. The FA503 would be pretty interesting for use with one of Johns big 3 way faceted designs though, or even the FA253 would probably be pretty good for those as well.

Comment

• Bear
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Hdale85
                  Hmm those plate amps are pretty interesting. Although I was looking for a simple sort of a 2 channel setup lol. The FA503 would be pretty interesting for use with one of Johns big 3 way faceted designs though, or even the FA253 would probably be pretty good for those as well.
                  The SW223BD02 is the bottom end of a project that I'm working on now, so this question was pretty salient to me. I asked Hypex for clarification on the N250's output specifications, but my guess is that the FA253 will be limited to around ~150W into an 8 ohm load (it should also be stable into a 2 ohm load, but the user guide is silent on this). In a 22L box, the SW223's can handle ~250W before reaching Xmax. In a 40L box (closer to the Ardent), that falls to ~150W (94dB, 20Hz) due to the lower Qts and slope of the roll-off (stuffing-dependent...). Since the project is targeted at being a center channel, I'm okay with the lower output, but there's also the possibility of paralleling the two drivers, or bridging the two N250 units and putting a passive crossover between the mid and the tweeter (the HP part of the midrange is where a lot of the expense is... plus the EQ capabilities resident in the DSP).

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"