Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TNRRClassic
    • Nov 2006

Midrange Zobel Capacitor Quality

I know this is an amateurish question, but I have to buy caps for this, since I don't have enough on hand. I'd rather get input then buy.

For a zobel network on a three-way, am I better off to stick with higher quality caps that I'm using for the midrange and tweeter crossovers, or would a middle of the road cap be just as good?

I have a big stash of Clarity Caps, and am using SA's for most of the values in the project. I have a Solen cap for the woofer section, and was thinking of using a Solen for the zobel. Is there any reason on earth to stick with SA's for the zobel, or is that overkill?

Thanks for any experience or advice you might be willing to share.
  • BobEllis
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

If it helps you decide, Jon Marsh specified Jantzen Cross caps for the Zoebels in his Wavecor Ardent design. Sure, you could use better, but it's way up on the diminishing returns curve. Unless the rest of your system is top shelf you probably wouldn't notice Solen or Cross Cap. Even then...

Comment

• TNRRClassic
      • Nov 2006

Right. He also specified that same grade of cap in the zobel on the NeoD CC. That's pretty good logic. I think I'll follow his lead and not stress out about that position. Thanks.

Comment

• Steve Manning
        • Dec 2006

For information purposes, this could be of help. http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html
        Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"