Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UtahDan
    • May 2018

another Anthology build, built C-notes first

New Diy'er here. Chose to build the Anthology's. I am looking to replace PSB Image B25 speakers. I have a PSB C60 center and 4 PSB in-ceiling surrounds and a DLS-4000R 12" Subwoofer. I will just be replacing the two front speakers. I purchased the full kit from Meniscus with the assembled crossovers with the upgraded Caps.

The PSBs are very clean and clear. They just don't have the punch I want. The room is 13x32 ft. They just can't fill the room. I am using a Denon AVR-788 which has 90 watts/channel. I can turn up the volume, they get clearer and clearer, the sub is booming through the whole house but you can talk over the speakers....

I haven't taken any photos of the cabinet build yet. I have a question about the wiring. I have two schematics giving conflicting information. One shows the mids and woofers wired in series, the other in parallel.....Which one is correct?

I can't wait to hear them completed!

I did build a pair of C-notes as a warmup. Attached are some pics. I am using them with some old Bozaks that have taken a beating from kids, moves etc. They are in the upstairs. The theater is downstairs. I am running the Bozaks as A and the C-notes as B. The Bozaks have better bass. The C-notes are better at mids and highs. I have had people tell me what a great setup I have.....

Attached Files
  • Jim Holtz
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Hi Dan,

Welcome to HT Guide and your choice of Anthology's. I like mine a lot and hope you will like yours too.

Mark at Meniscus should have sent a diagram of how to connect their crossover boards to the binding posts. I've not seen what they provide so if you have questions, give Mark a call. I'm attaching the crossover schematic for the Anthology's. Nothing is in series. The mids and bass drivers are both connected in parallel and are attached to the binding posts separately as is the tweeter. The tweeter and the mids are both connected in reverse polarity which should be taken care of when the crossover boards were created and the wiring connection polarity indicated on each board should be correct. Talk to Mark for clarification.

A couple thoughts. The Anthology's are about a 6 ohm load with a dip around 100 Hz. to 4 ohms so the Denon should be OK. I've not had a receiver for several decades so I do not have 1st hand knowledge on how robust the power supply is in your particular model.

The Anthology's have open back mids so they need room to breathe and also require reflective walls behind them so the front and rear wave blend as designed. They also do not work well with large furniture between then such as entertainment centers. I'm not sure where you're positioning them but the last picture with the large entertainment center will be a problem. Plan on a minimum of 12" and up to 36-48" from the rear walls and 18" is great for a minimum on the sides which is pretty standard foe any audiophile quality speaker.

With all that in mind, you should be good to go. Your cabinet work looks great!

Good luck with the build and please let us follow along with you.

Jim

Click image for larger version

Name:	AnthologyNetworks.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	863577Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6752 (Large).jpg
Views:	3
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	863576

Comment

• UtahDan
      • May 2018

I talked with Meniscus yesterday. It turns out I was misreading the schematic. They had the wires separating before the drivers, therefore in parallel. Kudos to Meniscus. They have been very helpful, the crossovers they supplied are very professional and... they even threw in some candy in the packaging!

Thanks Jim for the info on the entertainment center. There is space between the cabinet and the TV. If that isn't enough I will have to pull them further forward.

My wife was already upset that I wanted new speakers. She finally saw the cabinets under construction. She said don't you realize this is not the 70's? People don't have big speakers anymore." I replied, "You obviously haven't been in many high end audio stores lately." I guess it is better that I didn't choose the Statements II's!

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"