Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 0m3g4
    • Nov 2015

Looking to build a set of 3 way speakers

Looking for some insight from those with more experience in DIY then myself. Here is my current conundrum.

Option 1
    Canaiolo - highest on my list as far as what I want to build. They are sealed ( plus in my book, hoping for better transient response), they dig deep cjd says in room they play to low 30's to upper 20's. This is perfect for me as I prefer my music without sub assistance. The problem is the tweeter is NLA, I have found them but they are pricey $133/ea. Second problem is sourcing all the components for the xo.
    Another question is, has a better tweeter replacement been found and an xo developed for it? I know this is an old design, but this is the design I like best.

Option 2
    Modified khanspires - these are definitely on the list, but boxes would need to be ported to get down low enough for full range no sub.
    If I were to do that, would it require a crossover mod? I can change height and depth of box, just not width. I just don't have experience with designing crossovers.

Option 3
    Nebbiolo - I don't think I have the wood working experience to build these boxes with the angled box. Will the work in a more traditional box?

I would love to build statement II but the spacing behind the speakers to the rear wall 18" isn't feasible. So sadly all of speaker design works open mids are ruled out.

I have looked over the zaph options and i like the zrt, but from the sounds of it results are inconsistent. I would consider the tarkus if it can fill my room with some depth.

Room is 24' x 39' x 8' ceiling to an open hallway that is 24' x 6' x 8' ceiling.

I listen to alot of electronic music ( 40% music) in my music I also listen to rock some rap, and pop music? ( Kids listen to it), play games ( 40%), and movies (20%).

Any help/ guidance is greatly appreciated!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
  • bvbellomo
    • Mar 2013

If you want a Canaiolo, build a Canaiolo. The new RST28A-4 looks pretty similar to the old RS28A-4, but you could use the RST28F-4 if you wanted a fabric dome or really make any other tweeter work (depending how much work you are willing to do). The 2 new Dayton tweeters I mentioned are more efficient, so you may need either a series resistor or an l-pad.

If you don't have measurement equipment, this could be done by ear, and I would go through the same process even with the original tweeter. You don't know how well the drivers you receive match the ones the author used, and you might not know exactly how good the original design is. The efficiency for the 180's and 270's are already matched, so I wouldn't mess with their levels without equipment.

After you built the Canaiolo, buy a few resistors and try one in serial with the tweeter. You will probably end up with around 0.8 ohms, so I'd start around there. Listen for a while, and switch it out to either a 1.5ohm or 0.5 ohm (or something else, you get the point) and see if it is better or worse. You remember the game where a kid thinks of a number and doesn't tell you what it is, but tells you "higher" or "lower" every time you guess? You are playing that game with resistors, until you find a sound you like.

If you want to get fancy, you could do an l-pad instead of just a series resistor, but you are only adjusting a few dB, so I'd keep it simple.

Comment

• TMM
      • Jul 2015

Originally posted by bvbellomo
      The new RST28A-4 looks pretty similar to the old RS28A-4
      The impedance curve and sensitivity are sufficiently different that I wouldn't recommend substituting an RST28A into a design that used the RS28A. Same deal with RST28F and RS28F. Requires a redesigned crossover imo.

As far as I'm aware the Usher 9950-20 is the same driver as the RS28F sans the protective grille and it is still available.

Comment

• 0m3g4
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by TMM
        As far as I'm aware the Usher 9950-20 is the same driver as the RS28F sans the protective grille and it is still available.
        That's great info, those go for $65 where as the Dayton I found for $105.

Anyone have thoughts on doing modular designs? Like do a MTM with a woofer bass box, I came across a thread that talked about pairing nat p mtm with two 10" bass boxes and run it off an inuke or minidsp.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Comment

• bvbellomo
          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by 0m3g4
          That's great info, those go for $65 where as the Dayton I found for $105.
          Except the Canaiolo used a RS28A-4 not a RS28F-4. Close enough, but so are the newer Dayton drivers. IMO any of these will work, and am surprised you don't have a preference for aluminum vs fabric tweeters. I personally don't have a strong preference (bad aluminum sounds a lot worse than bad fabric, good sounds good) but I thought most people did.

Comment

• 0m3g4
            • Nov 2015

From speakers that I have heard, I would generally lean towards fabric tweeters, but a good metal tweeter doesn't always sound harsh or with too much ting.

I'm rethinking this 3 way project to a modular build.
            Like a sealed nat p MTM with bass boxes. 2 Dayton 10's, see attatched image. I think this provides flexilibity and 2 10's will definitely give me full range depth, without needing a sub.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Comment

• 1Michael
              • Sep 2006

"Anyone have thoughts on doing modular designs"?
              I am running the Modula mtm on top of dual 15's and it works quite well.
              Michael
              Chesapeake Va.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"