Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Garyf52
    • Feb 2015

New build using old cabinets

This build is one of Troels Gravesen's designs; the SEAS CA18/RLY/22TAF-G. I'm reusing the cabinets from an old build, the Core 2ways. Those drivers became Modula MT's a few years ago and these cabinets have just been sitting ever since. The cabinets are a close match for this SEAS design. Even the port dimensions are within a few millimeters. The cost is also a good match for my budget and I've always wanted to try one of his designs.

Some cabinet surgery will be required. I planed down the baffles to receive new baffles to match the SEAS slightly different configuration.

This picture shows the cabinets after surgery.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	surgery.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	872256

These show the new baffles, with one coat of stain. They are not glued yet. I still have a lot of work to do before I can attach them.

Name:	mockup2.jpg
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	872258

Name:	mockup.jpg
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	872257
    So far I like how they're looking. I'll update this thread as I progress.
    Speakers I've built.
    Classix II & Core 2way
    Tributes
    Seas CA18RLY-22TAFG
    Subwoofer
  • TEK
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Interesting...
    I’m doing a build based on the same design, but with a small box.
    DIY (Do it yourself): Cabinetry, speakers, subwoofers, crossovers, measurements. Jon and Thomas have probably designed and built as many speakers as any non-professionals. Who are we kidding? They are pros, they just don't do it for a living. This has got to be one of the most advanced places on the net to talk speaker building, period.
    -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• Garyf52
      • Feb 2015

Originally posted by TEK
      Interesting...
      I’m doing a build based on the same design, but with a small box.
      http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...-my-daughter-s
      We should compare notes on our impressions of the sound when we've finished them. I have several builds of speakers of this general type; TM configured 2 ways with 6.5" - 7" woofers. Can't say any one is better than another, but each brings it's own color to the music. Sometimes I switch them around just to see what difference I may hear.

This build is actually an extra pair. I don't have a particular plan for their use. I'll swap them into my different systems and see what happens.
      Speakers I've built.
      Classix II & Core 2way
      Tributes
      Seas CA18RLY-22TAFG
      Subwoofer

Comment

• Garyf52
        • Feb 2015

Finally finished these and have already spent a few very enjoyable hours listening to them. I' m very impressed with the sound of these.

Had a chance to snap a few pics of them today.

Name:	seas7.jpg
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	863446

Name:	seas4.jpg
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	863445

Name:	seas8.jpg
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	863447

Describing the sound of speakers with words always seems inadequate, but these speakers have terrific bass, clear detailed highs, and an overall balance that I find to be outstanding.

Since I was recycling old cabinets, I didn't take any more construction pictures. I basically just grafted on the new baffle after planing off about 1/4 inch of the original.
        This is my first build of one of Troels designs. I was able to source all the parts needed from Madisound and Parts Express.
        Speakers I've built.
        Classix II & Core 2way
        Tributes
        Seas CA18RLY-22TAFG
        Subwoofer

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"