X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sleeper0404
    • Feb 2014

Atmos speaker design advice

Hello all,
    I have been looking into maybe wiring my living room for atmos. I can't seem to figure out if ceiling mounted spekaers or upward firing speaker on top of front towers would be better... does anyone have any good suggestions on what would be best? also if anyone knows of some diy designs too show me that would be great, I can't seem to find any. right now I have a statement 2 setup
  • Scottg
    • Nov 2006

I'm currently doing an Atmos setup.

-suggested configuration seems to be above/(ceiling) your listening position (for those height channels) but further left and right of your front left and right speakers (respectively). The 9.2 system has an added set of speakers a little forward of your listening position (also ceiling, and also "wider" than your front speakers).

Dolby Atmos Speaker Placement Tips: Set up your speakers for the ultimate Dolby Atmos experience with our expert tips. Elevate your audio immersion now.

-if I was doing a setup with that far of a listening distance from the front speakers for a 7.2 system (as represented in all of their diagrams), THEN I would probably move those height/(ceiling) speakers a little bit further in front of the listening position (..perhaps about half-way between the first and second set as represented in the 9.2 system). One thing I would absolutely do is make sure those height channels AND the rear channels are much wider than your front channels.

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

I think your missing the second images on your links. Dolby recommends the height channels be in line with the fronts.

When you click the link, pick a layout. The first image would be the typical standard layout, second image is the added height speakers.

Definitely go with in-ceiling, if you can't get the rear heights the recommended angle behind you, stick with a .2 setup.

Kevin D.

Comment

• roadrune
        • May 2017

Sorry for linking to another forum, but i made theese: https://forums.audioholics.com/forum...os-use.106191/

Cheap, low profile and good soundquality for what it is.

Comment

• Scottg
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Kevin D
          I think your missing the second images on your links. Dolby recommends the height channels be in line with the fronts.

When you click the link, pick a layout. The first image would be the typical standard layout, second image is the added height speakers.

Definitely go with in-ceiling, if you can't get the rear heights the recommended angle behind you, stick with a .2 setup.

Kevin D.

Yup, my bad ops: - had to use a different browser to get the pic. displaying the side-arrow for the second pic..

I'd still do it the way I was suggesting though for a narrow front channel grouping (with ceiling height channel further off to the sides, along with presumably rear ceiling channels).

In theaters the placement has added side channels near the front channels (on the side walls), front channels that span most of the width of the theater (because the screen spans most of the width), and those ceiling height channels are substantively left and right of center-row listeners.

(..in my installation both the ceiling height and ceiling surrounds will be "in-line" with the front Left and front Right speakers - but that's because my front Left and Right are almost 14 feet apart with a 14 foot wide screen, and we "listeners/viewers" are centered to the screen and will still be substantially away from either side.)

Comment

• sleeper0404
            • Feb 2014

Thanks for all the replies. does anyone have any suggestions of a good store bought in ceiling speaker or atmos setup or know of any diy in wall setups?

Comment

• Scottg
              • Nov 2006

Partsexpress has several listings at reasonable prices:

-do NOT select a 70V speaker.

Here are the in-walls:

Most HT Receivers do NOT have adequate power supplies when using all their amplifiers. For this reason I'd look to 8 ohm loudspeakers (to draw less current).

Ex.

Left/Center/Right in a vertical configuration on-wall:

Dayton Audio ME525MTM 5-1/4" Micro-Edge MTM LCRS In-Wall Speaker EachDayton Audio’s Micro-Edge™ speakers were created to combine the high-quality sonic performance of a premium free-standing speaker with sleek, contemporary in-wall styling, for a thoroughly modern take on the in-wall speaker. The ME525MTM model uses dual woofers and a centrally-mounted pivoting silk-dome tweeter, for a speaker with symmetrical dispersion that can be mounted vertically as left/right/surround channel speakers, or horizontally under a display or projection screen as a center-channel speaker. The low-profile perforated grill with ultra-slim Micro-Edge™ frame almost disappears into the wall entirely, and is easily paintable to match its surroundings.The dual 5-1/4" woofers feature woven black Kevlar cones that provide excellent transient 'snap' and crisp vocal clarity along with impactful bass, and the 1" silk-dome tweeter delivers rich detail that never becomes harsh, even at high volumes. The pivoting tweeter mount lets you target the best treble performance directly at the listening position, and the three-position room integration switch lets you decrease treble output if desired, for the best balance with your room’s natural acoustics.All Dayton Audio Micro-Edge™ (ME-series) speakers are timbre-matched for a seamless and consistent home theater experience when used together. The ME525MTM is perfectly sized to fit between studs in standard 16-inch stud spacing when mounted horizontally as a center channel speaker. No additional adjustment is required for horizontal mounting.Specifications: • Power Handling: 50 watts RMS/100 watts max • Impedance: 8 ohms • Frequency Response: 60-20,000 Hz • Sensitivity: 86 dB 1W/1m (±3 dB) • Dimensions: 7-1/2" H x 14-3/4" W x 2-7/8" D • Cutout size: 6-1/8" H x 13-3/8" W (horizontal mounting) • Sold individually. To view the rough-in bracket for this speaker, please click here To view replacements grills for this product, please click here

Height/Rear in-ceiling:

Dayton Audio ME650C 6-1/2" Micro-Edge LCRS 15 Degree Angled Ceiling SpeakerDayton Audio's LCRS ceiling speakers are designed as an "all speaker solution" for ceiling mounted home theater systems. The new Micro-Edge™ design offers a modern look for today's contemporary décor. A 15° angle provides cinematic imaging for lifelike sound playback when used in front, center channel, or surround speaker applications. The 6-1/2" woven Kevlar cone woofer provides stunningly warm mids and tight, accurate bass; 1" pivoting silk dome tweeters reproduce clear highs that rival esoteric loudspeakers while allowing adjustment for customizing the soundstage and imaging according to a room's layout.All Dayton Audio Micro-Edge Series speakers are timbre matched to provide the best possible home theater experience.Specifications: • Power handling: 35 watts RMS/70 watts max • Impedance: 8 ohms • Frequency response: 50-20,000 Hz • Sensitivity: 88 1W/1m (±3 dB) • Dimensions: 9-7/8" dia. x 5-5/8" D • Cutout size: 8-1/4" dia. • Sold individually. To view the rough-in bracket for this speaker, please click here

Comment

• TEK
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

If you have a receiver that you do not think has enough power when driving all channel is to add a high quality stereo amp and use that for your mains while using the receiver for the rest of the channels.
                -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• sleeper0404
                  • Feb 2014

thanks for the responses. I think I may try out 4 of the dayton part 300-430 speakers. I'll be going for a 5.1.4 setup I mostly am interested in trying out atmos. would you guys think it would work out okay if I did 2 in ceiling angled towards listening position then 2 behind angled toward listening position with the 2 surround speakers mounted on back wall close to the ceiling?

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"